And Finally Scored A Nice One of These

X99 solved what I thought was the biggest irony of tube amps:

You had something (besides hands/guitar) capable of massive changes in tone/feel, and yet you couldn't move the damn knobs at the gig. You had to find one good setting, keep it there, and use pedals to make the changes. I always had an issue with that.

Before the Axe-Fx, X99 and the Triaxis were on my most-lust list.

Forgot how unique the preamp looks, like a chunk of minimalist retro-modern art.

Last edited:
With the insane amount of choices already in this fine unit, where does this amp come in? What makes it worth adding I guess? Not hating or being rude, just asking.

With the insane amount of choices already in this fine unit, where does this amp come in? What makes it worth adding I guess? Not hating or being rude, just asking.

The X99 is already in the Axe, I presume Cliff purchased this to give it the G3 treatment.

I would *guess* maybe at the request of a "A-list"er?

For me, one of the strengths of FAS is their close relationship with A-list clients. Tons of great features are added from their feedback.

it's been in the Axe since Ultra days actually. it's being G3'd now and that's where the actual hardware comes in. if you never noticed or used that model before maybe it's just not something you'd go for...

That sounds fantastic. The guy who makes the RAC12 MIDI knob controller should make an mechanical knob version ;). Jk but that would be crazy awesome.

SO...this begs a couple of questions...
1. How similar is the circuit to an X88R?
2. Are you going to, at some point, build models of some classic power amps to mate with the preamp models you have given us? The VHT 2150 and 2100 come
s to mind. As do the Mesa 2:90, and Marshall 9100/9200 power amps.

Motorized dials also could be found in the Yamaha DG1000 preamp. This was all digital back in 1995 ;) Just sayin' ......I sold one of these for 100$ some yrs ago......

DSC00852.jpg

Cool to see some preamps getting the G3 treatment; I used programmable tube preamps in the 80's/90's/00's (MP-1, Digitech Twin Tube, Rocktron Piranha, JMP-1) and loved the sound and versatility of them when coupled with a good power amp/cab.

Here is an interesting list:

The 10 Best Rackmount Preamps Of All-Time

The AFX II is on it, and a curious preamp I've never heard of before called the"Langner DCP-1 Creator" designed by the same guy who did the ADA MP-1.

I had a Piranha for years. It was definitely pretty cool for gigging b/c of the midi, which wasn't a common feature back then.

So sweet. Back in my tone chasing gear merry go round days, I came incredibly close to pulling the trigger on one of those but felt the ROI would not be worth it for me personally given the cost of building a new rig based on it. If I had I'd probably have ended up trying to add one of those behemoth Soldano power amps to go with it, too. I was really close to going over the edge at one point on the tone 'quest', LOL...

Anyway, glad to see X99 getting the G3-love.

My past history of rack gear is one of the reasons I warmed so easily to a unit like the Fractals. I already 'got' it with regard to preamps, power amps, flexibility, etc; and was open to digital as being viable.

Last edited:
SO...this begs a couple of questions...
1. How similar is the circuit to an X88R?
2. Are you going to, at some point, build models of some classic power amps to mate with the preamp models you have given us? The VHT 2150 and 2100 come
s to mind. As do the Mesa 2:90, and Marshall 9100/9200 power amps.

1. Very similar. All Soldanos share a similar topology.
2. Maybe.

Back
Top Bottom