and back to Matrix

Jan Geerts

Experienced
I used two Pedalbabies for a while and was very happy with them, but decided to give a secondhand Matrix GT1000fx a try, because that would be handier to take live, and a laptop could sit on top of it.

Back when I used the AFII with a 1u GT1000FX, I was happy with the sound, but always missed pressure and oomph live, even with two Marshall cabs. Which made me switch to tube amps again. So, I was wondering if that still would be the case.

It isn't. I'm using two 212s now, a Zilla and a Matrix, and the moment I got some volume, there was oomph in spades. Since the 1 and 2U are supposed to be the same, and my cabs are smaller now than then, it must be the AFIII, right?
Compared to the Pedalbabies, the Matrix is darker and fuller, it feels absolutely right and tubey. I was worried I would miss the depth knob from the Oranges, but no, the balance is just right. I might be done with tubes for ever this time.

Firmware has really progressed in this area.

If you really want the extra "whoompff" from your cab, match the low resonant frequency parameter in the Amp block with the actual frequency of your cab. The wiki explains how. TBH, I don't do this these days anymore.

Back
Top Bottom