Analog vs digital

Stratos73

After some weeks during which, I have to admit, I have just occasionally used it, I decided to sell my FX8.

I'm sure it is my fault and I know I should have spent much more time with it but, at the end, I simply realized that the FX8 it is not for me.

The user interface is way too complex, there are too many parameters for my needs and also the sound, when I do an a/b comparison with my analog rack, is not yet there, especially for the drives.

Don't get me wrong, I still believe it is an amazing unit with a great cost/quality ratio that offers huge flexibility, portability and a top class support (user forum included :D) but I still prefer my heavy "straightforward" rack (at least unti my back resists...)

I'm sad and sorry for that, especially after 10 month of waiting list and after reading almost every post here, but, at the end, I prefer to spend my limited free time playing my guitars instead of tweaking for hours a digital unit to get the sound my old pedals already got.

I'm sure there are many potential new users, much smarter than me, that can enjoy my FX8 way better than what I can do.

I agree it does take some quality time to get a good understanding of it. I myself am real close to selling as well and getting some Strymons and be done with it but Im going to give it a real shot and read, well the Ax-Fx manual. I agree not overly impressed with the drives either.

I'm sure some people feel that way, but you must remember that fractal is always in a state of self improvement. I'm sure there will be updates along the way to improve the already stellar effects within though... They seem good about taking already great things and improving them as time and coding advances.

Can I ask what style of music you guys play that it's not working out for you?

I mainly play blues and rock, from '60/'70 classic to '80/'90 hard.
In terms of sound, what in my opinion is missing in the FX8 is the warmth and the roundness of the analog pedals, especially in the drives area, or even of some other digital unit like the Eventide Eclipse.
FX8 is very transparent and noiseless but tend to be thin and "too digital" to my ears if compared with the analog pedals.
Then, as I already said, I find the user interface too complex and not enjoyable but, again, this is just personal taste, I know others like the deep tweaking possibilities it offers.

I'm thinking to sell it too because its not easy to get comfortable in live situation. But I already in love with some presets like Bloomin verb, heaven delay, the abyss and some of my own otherwordly presets. It's hard to find great presets like that on other devices.

I don't have a problem with the parameters. It's fun to create some great trippy presets in this device. Especially with pitch, multidelay, reverb and mods. But I think I'm not good at creating common basic presets like lead drive, rhythm drive, rhythm clean, etc.

Do not know the Axe Fx. Does it behave that much more different according to drives that nobody (almost) said nothing negative about its drive models so far?

I am an analog guy. I've been testing digital drives for years now and that was my main issue for me while waiting for the fx8. I must say that so far the fx8's drives are not perfect but still one of the best digital ones on the market and work well live for me. Your audience never (I claim) hear a difference.

You still can run analog drives in the pre section and can use the fx8 only for post effects like delays etc. to improve your drive sound.

The "drive" problem was the main reason why I found the TC G system the perfect solution. Problem: TC abandoned the G and stopped developing it. Never will understand why.

I wished that the fx8 could include analog pedals like the G or even the Line6 Helix but it does not. Maybe a next generation.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G928F mit Tapatalk

After some weeks during which, I have to admit, I have just occasionally used it, I decided to sell my FX8.

I'm sure it is my fault and I know I should have spent much more time with it but, at the end, I simply realized that the FX8 it is not for me.

The user interface is way too complex, there are too many parameters for my needs and also the sound, when I do an a/b comparison with my analog rack, is not yet there, especially for the drives.

Don't get me wrong, I still believe it is an amazing unit with a great cost/quality ratio that offers huge flexibility, portability and a top class support (user forum included :D) but I still prefer my heavy "straightforward" rack (at least unti my back resists...)

I'm sad and sorry for that, especially after 10 month of waiting list and after reading almost every post here, but, at the end, I prefer to spend my limited free time playing my guitars instead of tweaking for hours a digital unit to get the sound my old pedals already got.

I'm sure there are many potential new users, much smarter than me, that can enjoy my FX8 way better than what I can do.

Count me in - though I´m still on the fence of keeping or returning it. I have tested the FX8 intensively and know my way around it quite well by now. Actually I find the user interface very well laid out. But for me there are waytoo many options when dialing in levels and signal path. Also the drives leave something to be desired for me. I was interested in finding a one in all solution instead of my pedalboard to simplify things. Now I find myself more tweaking the fx8 than playing my guitar. Changing the amp, changing from stage levels to bedroom levels etc. requires new presets. There are so many settings to consider - stereo i/outputs, L+R, left only, all of this in single blocks + general I7= settings, level pre, level post, and so on and so on. And then I still have to fight with annoying hiss and so on. I am sure someone really experiended is happy with all the options. For me they are just time consuming and I am tired. Next fimware - always appreciated - and will I start all over again? I did not realise this when I ordered this absolutely capable box. Maybe it´s just like that when you want to take the digital route coming from the analogish pedalboard... I am still confident I will make it.

Maybe it´s just like that when you want to take the digital route coming from the analogish pedalboard...

Yes, maybe. The digital is packed with many more parameters & controll, analog is all predefined, you have little to no controll over your tone. You can be overhelmed by the parameters. If you are the set-and-forget type of player you can give it a try, deep editing once the box. If you are a tip-tap dancer with continous regolation of knobs... well, probably the interface will be a problem, you can try to use scenes and patches... but it is more complex because you have much more to set.

I'm in the camp that wants more control. I'm planning to get an axe fx to run in conjunction with the fx8 for this reason. I find the user interface very easy to navigate. Both on the unit and in axe edit. I think the interface would be much improved if there were "idiot proof" settings with instant gratification like strymon stuff, and then the deep editing was there if you want it. It's kind of like that but could be easier to get good sounds imo. Still the best thing since sliced bread.

Back
Top Bottom