Analog re-amp with AxeFxIII

horror

Inspired
Hi all,

New AxeFx user here after years playing and recording with a physical amp head, cab, and SM57. Thanks to this forum and the really great, thorough user manual I feel like I conquered the basic learning curve. Now I am getting into some possibilities that were never available to me pre-Axe and have a question.

Please note that I am not looking to do this via USB and I do understand the downside of hitting up the digital conversion multiple times. For analog re-amping, from the manual I understand completely what to do to route a DI signal into my audio interface (Roland Studio Capture) at the same time I lay down my wet tracks. I can set output 3 to be a copy of input 1 and run a Humbuster cable from Axe output 3 to a line level input on my interface. My question is what to do with that newly recorded DI signal:

What is the recommended way to route a DI track (analog) back into the Axe for demoing different sounds/rigs/presets? Should that run from my interface to the hi-z input 1 using a guitar cable? Or should it run to one of the line level inputs (2, 3, 4) using a balanced cable? My gut says that it should run to input 2, 3, or 4 because my interface will be sending a line level signal. But I read a couple forum posts that hinted at running it into the instrument input (input 1) but I can't understand why that would be when the source sends line.

The answer may be to just try both and see what happens, but I was also curious to understand why one input versus the other.

Back
Top Bottom