Analog 'Oldy' With A Digital 'Newbe' Mixer Question

JT2

Inspired
Hey guys. I'm looking for a nice little mixer to connect my Axe Fx and Stereo system to. Currently I have my guitar straight into the front of the Axe and out, via balanced out, to my powered Yahama H8s. But I want to create some versatility by using the Yamaha's for my stereo system as well. Turn table, Reel to Reels etc. I don't need a lot of inputs. I currently have a little Berhinger 1202 but my understanding is that the control room outs, which I use, are unbalanced. I'd like to have balanced outs from the board to the Yamaha's. I suppose USB would useful because I use Logic X in my Macbook Pro for recording.

What can you recommend? Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

have the unbalanced control room outputs caused issues?

have you considered or tried using the Main Outputs of your current mixer?

Thanks for your reply Chris. The Control Room function allows for a little more versatility compared to the Mains. This explains it -

I don't currently have an issue with the 1/4 " unbalanced. But, as a creature of habit, it seems more logical. I suppose I could get some 1/4" balanced cables. Would that do the trick?

I noticed when I put my small beringer mixer in the path between Axe and Atomic CLR powdered monitors, it reduced my sound quality. It’s still worth it if you want to mix sounds together and it’s the only way, but it’s good to know about the sound quality hit.

I did this at first with my tunes on Ax8, then I used the separate inputs on Atomic CLRs to keep the guitar path going as direct as possible. But with Axe II XL, I play my tunes to jam with via the USB from my computer and bypass the mixer altogether.

Given your setup, I’d put everything non-Axe through the mixer, then keep Axe going direct to powered monitors if you have an extra set of inputs on them. If not, maybe consider a physical switch of some sort to keep the axe to monitor signal as clean as possible when you don’t need to send it through the mixer with other audio sources?

Last edited:
I have everything running into a Mackie Onyx 1620i
the connection to the Mac is firewire
the Axe USB's to/from the Mac
the Onyx and Axe are in an aggregate interface

the Axe outs are jacked into the Onyx [so when recording the dry into Logic I'm only hearing what the Axe spits out along with the audio from Logic [via firewire]

my hardware synths, VG-99, 2120 and mics are also jacked into the Onyx
my monitors are jacked into the Onyx

I'm liking the work flow.. it's simple and sounds nice

I suppose I could get some 1/4" balanced cables. Would that do the trick?
Using balanced cables on unbalanced output jacks does not make it balanced. In fact sometimes it doesn’t work correctly at all.

Reactions: JT2
Back
Top Bottom