An update from a newb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thank you for your help.

Post a preset dude, I want to take a look at where you're at and where you're coming from, I use the THR10 two hours a day for the past 2 years, and this Axe-Fx is a tricky beast if you aren't familiar with it, there's so much you can do to hamstring your tone in a quarter turn of a knob or less. I know the THR clean and crunch amp backwards and forwards, what model are you working off of in the Axe-Fx?

Seriously?
While walking away is always an option... the Yamaha offers 5 voices with 5 tube options along with three power output levels along with various boost and reverb options and IR. While that is Impressive, it is nowhere close to the flexibility offered by the Axe Fxe.

I bought the Axe to give me that and more. Your answer is to walk away?

Hell no. FAS needs to learn from Yamaha and offer the same quality.
Being simple isn’t always wrong.
This is like saying Dumble needs to strive to be Marshall. I don't even know where to start with this absurd approach to thinking.

I will say, adjust your approach to communicating and you'll find this forum is full of extra helpful people who will bend over backwards to help you achieve your tone goals. Keep up with the "if you disagree with me you're wrong and an apologist" line of communicating and it won't end well for you.

A little humility goes a long way.

You’re not asking for improvements. You’re not making suggestions. You’re not having a dialogue.

You’re ignoring advice that you’ve asked for, arguing with people with experience - including the designer of the device - claiming that what you want is possible, and telling people how it should be.

If you can’t realize that, there is more than just a problem with guitar tone.

Quote of the year right here ^^
I get that asking hard questions and getting soft answers is uncomfortable here. I firmly believe that is how a product moves forward. I have listened to the advice offered here and reported my positive results. But feel free to put me in some bucket since I am not willing to suck on the collective FAS wang.

I really don’t care about anything beyond what a company delivers to what I am trying to achieve.
My tone. Others are free to do as they choose.

This is the low intellect response to a poor communication situation you created. Look within. If threads you start turn to poo, the common factor is: you.
Possibly. It also might be that no one wants to discuss the issue I am raising. That being that using the Axe FX as a direct studio recording room requires the same sort of discernment as any other studio tool. Beat me up all you want.... for saying what any studio engineer knows.

But feel free to put me in some bucket since I am not willing to suck on the collective FAS wang.

And here it is again. You act like we’re all trying to fool you. None of us chat outside of the forum. We haven’t agreed to share certain information or say things a certain way. Everyone who responded in this thread has their own individual thoughts, and if they say the same thing, then we all arrived there on our own.

YOU are putting yourself in a bucket. And I don’t want anything to do with it anymore.

Why can’t people see how they’re coming across? You already apologized to me via private message once because you weren’t thinking straight. Will this just happen again?

That being that using the Axe FX as a direct studio recording room requires the same sort of discernment as any other studio tool.
No one can beat you up if they don't understand the point you're trying to make. These are words, but strung together like this they do no make any sense.

Are you trying to say that you'd like to be able to achieve iconic recorded tones using the Axe-Fx III without having to know much? Plug-and-play so to speak?

And here it is again. You act like we’re all trying to fool you. None of us chat outside of the forum. We haven’t agreed to share certain information or say things a certain way. Everyone who responded in this thread has their own individual thoughts, and if they say the same thing, then we all arrived there on our own.

YOU are putting yourself in a bucket. And I don’t want anything to do with it anymore.

Why can’t people see how they’re coming across? You already apologized to me via private message once because you weren’t thinking straight. Will this just happen again?
Fair enough. In my mind my concerns and points are valid. If they aren’t in yours then ok.
I honestly think we can expect more from the FAS Axe FX III.

I want excellent tone across platforms. Through cabs, laptops, headphones etc.

If you disagree then fine. I am growing weary of asking for things folks have settled for as unachievable.

It was the same a decade ago.

No one can beat you up if they don't understand the point you're trying to make. These are words, but strung together like this they do no make any sense.

Are you trying to say that you'd like to be able to achieve iconic recorded tones using the Axe-Fx III without having to know much? Plug-and-play so to speak?
Exactly. I’d like to choose my platform. Then my desired tone and go from there.

Example.... direct to Yamaha hs8 monitors. Using humbuckers then paranoid by Black Sabbath.
Just an example.

Exactly. I’d like to choose my platform. Then my desired tone and go from there.

Example.... direct to Yamaha hs8 monitors. Using humbuckers then paranoid by Black Sabbath.
Just an example.
Tone match the tones you want then. With the guitar you want to play with. On the platform you want to monitor your sound on. You can even tone match the THR100 if you like the tones you're getting out of that.

Sure. But I am flying blind a bit at at first hoping that the factory presets and Austin Buddy’s Naked amp tone packs allow me to sample before diving in and programming.

Both were a disappointment with the ELAC speakers but see my previous post on the Yamaha monitors.

I am not talking about programming!

Axe-Fx needs to be set up correctly with the ecosystem, that it is used in, depending on if it was used with guitar poweramp and cab or in return fx loop of a guitar amp and cab or with PA, etc.

You don't even know how to set it up and how it should be used properly, but you are making conclusions already.

When they tell you to turn the poweramp modelling off, you don't even know what that means or how to do it.

You don't know what ToneMatch means or how to do it.

RDFM

Last edited:
Guys, just go bang your head on the wall a few times and go on about your day. This thread has gone on for 4 pages and gotten nobody anywhere, other than causing a lot of frustration and waste of time.

The Axe III is awesome, and personally my best musical purchase ever, and I’m sure lots agree with me, but it’s also not for everyone. For a ton of different reasons, from the very valid to the very insane, some people simply will not like it. Who cares ? Why do we need to try so hard to make people agree with us ?

I kind of like the fact that not everyone knows, and or loves the Axe. I think it’s kind of cool in a way, reading TGP posts and guys talking about their tube amps, dealing with volume issues, routing hassles etc, and I sit there with my III, getting amazing tones and not dealing with any of that.

It’s like I know a secret, or a shortcut to work, so I’m getting there in 15 minutes while everyone else is spending 90 minutes in gridlock.

Do I really want to go tell the entire building my shortcut so that then everyone takes it and now it takes me 45 minutes since my route is now equally congested ?

I wish Cliff all the success in the world, but I don’t really have any stake in how many units sell. If 1 out of 3 guitar players all move to FAS what does it really do for me ?

I use, I like it, I’m happy to share my experiences with others, but I’m not going around trying to “sell” anyone else on it. I don’t get a commission or anything lol.

I’ve had buddies try it and buy it, and love it, and then sound better than me, maybe I should of kept my mouth shut I think at times lol.

It’s really cool how helpful everyone is here, and I know we want everyone to love it as much as we do, but sometimes you’ve just got to walk away, agree to disagree, or whatever.

If the OP keeps his III, returns it, thinks a Yamaha is better, wants to tell everyone he knows FAS sucks, or anything in between, more power to him.

I don’t see a point in spending any of my limited free time worrying about what someone else thinks because it has zero bearing on what I think of my gear. Likewise, his experiences, good or bad, won’t affect anyone else’s enjoyment either.

So what’s the point of 4+ pages of threads like this, which keep popping up more and more often, and go nowhere and accomplish nothing?

Guys, just go bang your head on the wall a few times and go on about your day. This thread has gone on for 4 pages and gotten nobody anywhere, other than causing a lot of frustration and waste of time.

The Axe III is awesome, and personally my best musical purchase ever, and I’m sure lots agree with me, but it’s also not for everyone. For a ton of different reasons, from the very valid to the very insane, some people simply will not like it. Who cares ? Why do we need to try so hard to make people agree with us ?

I kind of like the fact that not everyone knows, and or loves the Axe. I think it’s kind of cool in a way, reading TGP posts and guys talking about their tube amps, dealing with volume issues, routing hassles etc, and I sit there with my III, getting amazing tones and not dealing with any of that.

It’s like I know a secret, or a shortcut to work, so I’m getting there in 15 minutes while everyone else is spending 90 minutes in gridlock.

Do I really want to go tell the entire building my shortcut so that then everyone takes it and now it takes me 45 minutes since my route is now equally congested ?

I wish Cliff all the success in the world, but I don’t really have any stake in how many units sell. If 1 out of 3 guitar players all move to FAS what does it really do for me ?

I use, I like it, I’m happy to share my experiences with others, but I’m not going around trying to “sell” anyone else on it. I don’t get a commission or anything lol.

I’ve had buddies try it and buy it, and love it, and then sound better than me, maybe I should of kept my mouth shut I think at times lol.

It’s really cool how helpful everyone is here, and I know we want everyone to love it as much as we do, but sometimes you’ve just got to walk away, agree to disagree, or whatever.

If the OP keeps his III, returns it, thinks a Yamaha is better, wants to tell everyone he knows FAS sucks, or anything in between, more power to him.

I don’t see a point in spending any of my limited free time worrying about what someone else thinks because it has zero bearing on what I think of my gear. Likewise, his experiences, good or bad, won’t affect anyone else’s enjoyment either.

So what’s the point of 4+ pages of threads like this, which keep popping up more and more often, and go nowhere and accomplish nothing?
Uh huh.

well, I don't have an axeIII but I have owned every other axefx they made at one time or another. The presets do NOT sound as bad as many make them out to be. Not to the point where "yamaha" modeling would blow away the axefx- anyone of them, including the AX8.
Personally imho Boss's modeling is much better than yamahas. To Chris's point "quote of the year" comment this borders on the twilight zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom