An update from a newb

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are content thinking we must be wrong.

This is such a passive aggressive insulting statement.
I simply think that what I hope to achieve is entirely possible.
I’ve always been pretty cutting edge on seeking tone. Until I gave up 10 years ago or so. And just used one really good amp.

It was the Axe FX III that led me to think that technology had finally caught up to my search.

I completely admit I may be a bit jaded and disappointed. I apologize for constantly being the negative Nelly.
I do appreciate the differing points of view.

I’m sorry if I put anyone down...

You are content thinking we must be wrong.

This is such a passive aggressive insulting statement.

Stop playing the “I’m a n00b” card if you’re also going to ignore anything people with experience say. You’re trying to claim inexperience AND be correct at the same time.
I am a newb on the device not tone.

Yes. It absolutely does.
To be fair to you and others that I think are trying to engage me and help me...
The only variable I have not normalized for yet is the IR’s I am using.
The Yamaha is using Celestion Creamback 75 IR’s solely while the Axe FX is using whatever FAS or Austin Buddy chose to use.

Who knows? That might be it. I am super particular.
Please make a recording for comparison. There is no way for us to comment further without a subjective comparison.

I'm very picky. I have never used a factory preset that I was really happy with. The AB pack is very good, but I still need to tweak every preset to work with my guitar and playing. I only use presets that I created myself.

Please make a recording for comparison. There is no way for us to comment further without a subjective comparison.

I'm very picky. I have never used a factory preset that I was really happy with. The AB pack is very good, but I still need to tweak every preset to work with my guitar and playing. I only use presets that I created myself.
I can appreciate your response but I am not quite certain how comparing two recordings would explan the differences in what I feel and hear in the room.

What exactly would that prove? That I as a performer can not judge what is occurring when I play? That what I hear or experience is not truth? These are serious questions.

Nonetheless, you clearly have experience and wisdom on the matter. I am going to give this some thought.

It may be as simple as using the same IR. If so, I apologize to you and this forum.

I thank you for your help.

I can appreciate your response but I am not quite certain how comparing two recordings would explan the differences in what I feel and hear in the room.

What exactly would that prove?

It would give us a chance to hear what you are hearing and perhaps offer more suggestions.

They were downloads. No need to capture but thanks!
Excellent! You can uploaded simply using Axe-Edit III.

What exactly would that prove? That I as a performer can not judge what is occurring when I play? That what I hear or experience is not truth? These are serious questions.

It would give us a chance to hear what you are hearing and perhaps offer more suggestions.
Exactly.

We may be able to tell you what to do or adjust to even things out...

None of what you're saying makes any sense. You claim the Yamaha is "using a Celestion IR with room mics" but you are listening to it through guitar speakers. Those two things are mutually exclusive. If you want apples-to-apples either put the Axe-Fx through the return of the Yamaha (being sure to turn off cabinet modeling) or connect the line out of the Yamaha to your home stereo. If you do that and still think the Yamaha is superior then you should return the Axe-Fx.

Last edited:
None of what you're saying makes any sense. You claim the Yamaha is "using a Celestion IR with room mics" but you are listening to it through guitar speakers. Those two things are mutually exclusive. If you want apples-to-apples either put the Axe-Fx through the return of the Yamaha (being sure to turn off cabinet modeling) or connect the line out of the Yamaha to your home stereo. If you do that and still think the Yamaha is superior then you should return the Axe-Fx.
Actually, I said I listened to ithe Yamaha through a cabinet with Celestion Creambacks 75’s and direct with Celestion Creamback 75 IR’s. I then compared this to the Axe FX to the Yamaha running though ELAC Debut speakers and Staus CB-1 headphones.

In either case the Yamaha owned the Axe. Not nearly as flexible but the tones it offered were easily superior.

I then took the next step and hooked the Axe FX to Yamaha HS8 monitors and tried again. The Axe FX then shined brightly and did an excellent job. It sounded excellent.

My take away is that the Axe absolutely depends on a solid neutral playback system when used as a studio direct recording tool. IN A BIG WAY.

Anybody that had any issue with my observations during this process might be considered apologists or fan boys.

No product is perfect and the application of any tool requires expertise if you expect exceptional results.
Applied in the right way the Axe FX III is phenomenal. Applied poorly it is a serious disappointment.

Argue with that.

Have you read the manual at all?
Sure. But I am flying blind a bit at at first hoping that the factory presets and Austin Buddy’s Naked amp tone packs allow me to sample before diving in and programming.

Both were a disappointment with the ELAC speakers but see my previous post on the Yamaha monitors.

Fair enough. Sounds like I am being written off.

I still don’t have an explanation for the difference between the Yamaha THR100HD and the Axe FX III.
Perhaps it’s because you guys don’t have both to hear the difference. No matter.

My playing on the Yamaha sounds just like a recording. I simply choose a voice, tube type, output level and gain then go.
I rarely have to touch EQ.

It seems as though most are content with what they know.
Sounds like the Yamaha suits your needs. Why wrestle with Fractal gear if that’s the case?

Aspects of the Axe were being judged and requested before he even got the unit in another thread.

“The best” seems to be an unattainable piece of gear that is definitely possible to achieve, according to him.

What’s with people coming here lately, arguing and telling everyone how it should be, while proclaiming inexperience with the device? There’s a bit of that going on in several threads. *shrug*

Sounds like the Yamaha suits your needs. Why wrestle with Fractal gear if that’s the case?
Seriously?
While walking away is always an option... the Yamaha offers 5 voices with 5 tube options along with three power output levels along with various boost and reverb options and IR. While that is Impressive, it is nowhere close to the flexibility offered by the Axe Fxe.

I bought the Axe to give me that and more. Your answer is to walk away?

Hell no. FAS needs to learn from Yamaha and offer the same quality.
Being simple isn’t always wrong.

Aspects of the Axe were being judged and requested before he even got the unit in another thread.

“The best” seems to be an unattainable piece of gear that is definitely possible to achieve, according to him.

What’s with people coming here lately, arguing and telling everyone how it should be, while proclaiming inexperience with the device? There’s a bit of that going on in several threads. *shrug*
Because no one should expect having any device meet their expectations.
Get real. Have fun with the original Axe. It needed no improvement.

Because no one should expect having any device meet their expectations.
Get real. Have fun with the original Axe. It needed no improvement.
You’re not asking for improvements. You’re not making suggestions. You’re not having a dialogue.

You’re ignoring advice that you’ve asked for, arguing with people with experience - including the designer of the device - claiming that what you want is possible, and telling people how it should be.

If you can’t realize that, there is more than just a problem with guitar tone.

FAS needs to learn from Yamaha and offer the same quality.
Quote of the year right here ^^

My take away is that the Axe absolutely depends on a solid neutral playback system when used as a studio direct recording tool. IN A BIG WAY.
That doesn't really make sense to me. I would think every studio direct recording tool depends on the same neutrality. Certainly tweak the tone either via the tonestack amp controls or eq or IR used to suit your own ear ... but having a decent 'reference' monitor is always the place to start. The HS8s will give you that for sure ... for both the THR100 and the Fractal

You've not tweaked anything much on the Axe-Fx and are using just factory or Austin Buddy's presets untouched. Things need minor adjustments for your own guitar, your own monitoring system etc. You'll get there with a bit more time ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom