An introduction and questions...

Mystixboi

Hi there. Ive been playing guitar for almost 30 years. I have gone through dozens of amp set ups... Everything from line 6 to Bogner. I'm currently using a 5150 III. I like it a lot but my wife and I are expecting twins(already have a 2 year old) in a few months

I've been thinking of getting an axe fx to play through my powered rockit 8 studio monitors and through headphones when the babies are sleeping.

That being said, I'm a total newb when it comes to the axe fx. I'm not much of a tweaker... I actually don't like to tweak at all. I just like to plug and play. That doesn't mean that I'm not capable of tweaking anything. I can actually tweak just fine but I'm looking to just plug and play.

Does the axe fx have great presets to work with? Ideally, I'm looking for a great clean sound a.k.a. John Mayer, Clapton or Hendrix.

As far as dirty tones, I'm looking for a great lead tone. I love the tone of guys like Steve Vai, satch and Petrucci.

My biggest concern is losing to Banfield. I played other modlers before and while I dig the tones from some, they sound cold and lifeless.

How does the axe fx compare in regards to feel and response to a tube amp?

Sorry, I know these are total newbie questions, but everyone has to start somewhere right?

Thanks in advance

standard and ultra are good but if you want the best modeling I would go to the axe fx II XL, there is a big difference and it keeps getting better. as far as tweeking that is up to you there are a lot of great presets in there but most users still want more.

Here is some advice if you are expecting twins! Get some headphones that you can use which do not block outside noise too much. I've had a couple of evenings where I didn't hear my baby crying cos my headphones were doing a great job at isolating noise so my wife came in the room and whacked me across the head because I didn't respond to baby crying quickly enough. :)

standard and ultra are good but if you want the best modeling I would go to the axe fx II XL, there is a big difference and it keeps getting better. as far as tweeking that is up to you there are a lot of great presets in there but most users still want more.

Wow. Ok. What are some of differences? Differences in latency? More amps? Efx?

That should do it!!!!!!! ok back on topic to the op there is an axe II XL in and ultra in our line up and all the amps and pedals are for ever gone with no regrets, but I have a good friend that is set on amps and even though every one prefers the axe tone to the amp he still denies and states if it isn't tube it is not real. that being said every one on the forum could voice an opinion but only you can make the call! maybe give your local and if there is a axe user near maybe they would let you get a taste. I would if you are in central FL.

over 100 more amps in the II a lot more storage in the II, way more in the xl if money is not the factor I recommend the XL

thanks... sadly, money is an issue right now(because of the twins). I just had to sell an Ibanez Jem 777DY(broke my heart).

I will have $1000 or so once I sell my EVH 5150 iii. that's why i was thinking the standard would be the best fit for me.

thanks... sadly, money is an issue right now(because of the twins). I just had to sell an Ibanez Jem 777DY(broke my heart).

I will have $1000 or so once I sell my EVH 5150 iii. that's why i was thinking the standard would be the best fit for me.

If I was really wanting an axe fx but I had to sell my guitar because of money( not my business but) I would try to get buy with the 5150 until money was right, put the cab in a closet covered with blankets if you have to, if you really want the best sound do it right the first time.

If I was really wanting an axe fx but I had to sell my guitar because of money( not my business but) I would try to get buy with the 5150 until money was right, put the cab in a closet covered with blankets if you have to, if you really want the best sound do it right the first time.

You're right. It isn't any of your business.

Selling the Jem was to raise cash for the twins but getting an axe fx is so I can have the option of playing at lower volumes or with headphones without making much noise. I don't know what you mean about "getting it right the first time".

You're right. It isn't any of your business.

Selling the Jem was to raise cash for the twins but getting an axe fx is so I can have the option of playing at lower volumes or with headphones without making much noise. I don't know what you mean about "getting it right the first time".

I was only suggesting when money is tight if you buy anything to get by and always wish you had something else it cost more to do it again later. didn't mean any harm. an ultra is a great unit but if you haven't herd one it is a leap. I have both but the xl is definitely the cake.

Make sure you check the old threads in the presets forum. There is a ton of gold if you do some digging. Yek, DonPeterson, and others have posted their complete presets, there are tons of great presets in them.

Btw, how are you planning on hooking up headphones? The standard/ultra do not have a headphone out so you will need a mixer or something. Also, I have the rokit 8s and they work great with the stand/ultra.

Good luck with the twins!

It will be great for that!

I had an Ultra and sold it to fund the II but sometimes I still miss the Ultra.. You will be in "bliss" for months with all the Ultra has to offer and the sounds in that box are still incredible.

Just remember you will need an audio interface to connect to the PC and a midi to USB adapter if you want to use Axe edit...

You can connect headphones to the Axe-Fx Standard/Ultra rear 1/4" stereo outputs using a Y-lead (stereo socket to twin mono plugs), which is how I connect my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphones to my Axe-Fx Standard.
Also if you use an "FX loop" block in the signal chain shown on the front panel display "Layout" screen, and connect this block to the output on the right on it's own row (it's not connected to the input side on the left of the screen), you can then connect a line level stereo signal to the rear Axe-Fx input 2 from say a MP3 player, or Hi-Fi headphone out (again using a suitable Y-lead) so as to provide a clean backing track into the Axe-Fx. use the other layout row(s) for your guitar and cab blocks etc and play along with your backing track, listening to everything through the same headphones.

Back
Top Bottom