An interesting buzz/fizz scenario

cscheid95

Howdie folks!

So I just bought myself a Morgan SW22R and its insanely good. I decided to use my AX8 as a pedal board instead of buying pedals and we have an interesting situation on our hands. The Morgan does not have an FX loop, so I'm running straight out of the quarter inch out of the AX8. Here's the deal, I have a light hum going on, even with a Humbuster cable, and the ground lift doesn't fix it, and with my distortion setups (using a amp model with the power sag turned off to make it a "drive") the distortion is really fizzy. NOW HERE'S WHATS INTERESTING. If I instead use my boss WL-20 wireless system to go from the Ax8 to the Morgan, I get no hum, and the drives sound light years better, some of the best distortion sounds I have ever gotten. What in the HECK is goin on 😐

Does the buzzing stop when you have your hands on the guitar?

Did you try a different cable from the guitar to AX8?

Let me weed out a few things, From my Aristides straight into my Morgan, no buzz, its not like theres a ground issue in the guitar, the signal is totally clean when playing straight into the amp with out the AX8 in the chain. As soon as I take a cable from one of the outputs of the AX8 and plug it into the amp, the buzz or static sound is immediately there once the standby on the amp is turned off. Furthermore my gain channels sound awful. However, when I go from my AX8 to my amp using my wireless, theres no buzz and the gain sounds are incredible.

Surely the hum is a ground loop?..

Easy enough to check.. connect (or just touch) a cable between the two chassis and the hum should appear/disappear.... anyway, I suspect the wireless system is working because it is breaking the ground connection between the two units.

If you want to improve things, i would check if your units are connected to the same power distribution point?.. if connected to different outlets this could be a cause.. also you can also plug the ax8 into a ground isolated adapter (accepts 3 pins, has two pins)

note, humbuster cables are good for reducing interference into the cable from external sources, including irradiated hum, but won't do diddly for a ground loop as the ground connection is maintained

hope this is of some help

Back
Top Bottom