An AX8 101 vid: Put together a Marshall rig in minutes - video

Great video that really showcases how easy it is to setup a great rig on Ax8. Nothing fancy, just a great Strat->Marshall tone.

Great playing too.

This community really does share a lot. I really appreciate it.
Loved the vid, but naturally wanted more info on the IIC+ Bright preset from start of the vid :)
Thanks. The IIC+ preset is straight out of the box. No tweaking there at all as I recall.

Excellent video! Do more when you have time and are inspired to do so. Thank you!
I plan to, thanks Eric. Bass players are at me now. Fair enough, too, as they don't seem to be very well represented out there where FAS is concerned. I'm no great bass player but it's interesting that out of all the videos I've made, those that feature bass are the most popular. So c'mon FAS bass players, get to it and represent.

Great video! Will you explain what you did in the cab block a little more and the reasoning behind it?

Sure. A standard sort of guitar cab and speaker is not what you'd call "full range". Subs aren't present and rarely is anything much above 6K. While I trust the factory and third party cab IR's to be the best they can, I don't think it hurts to use the high and low pass filters to 'make sure' they are not spitting out anything below, say, 90-100Hz or above 6.5kHz, for the sake of authenticity (1) and also so you don't get muddled up in the bass/drums mix (2) and/or negate any frizziness (3). Using the high/low filters in the cab block is one way of ensuring this but you can also use the Global EQ or any number of other post EQ blocks. I use the cab block filters AND the global EQ. Then I know I'm on the money.

nice work, nice rifs, very informative, clear and consise with good timing and flow. You make it look easy.
It is easy once you get a hang of the signal path and architecture. It's inspiring too. Thanks. :)

Sure. A standard sort of guitar cab and speaker is not what you'd call "full range". Subs aren't present and rarely is anything much above 6K. While I trust the factory and third party cab IR's to be the best they can, I don't think it hurts to use the high and low pass filters to 'make sure' they are not spitting out anything below, say, 90-100Hz or above 6.5kHz, for the sake of authenticity (1) and also so you don't get muddled up in the bass/drums mix (2) and/or negate any frizziness (3). Using the high/low filters in the cab block is one way of ensuring this but you can also use the Global EQ or any number of other post EQ blocks. I use the cab block filters AND the global EQ. Then I know I'm on the money.

I have always used the Cab Block Filters, but much more recently started using the Global EQ as well. It started out as more of a quick fix at a gig, but has turned into being something valuable. Also to note, I have started putting my Cab Block at the very end of my signal chain to ensure that those Cab Block Filters are definitely doing their jobs. I used to put all my time based effects and some modulation effects after the cab block, but I got to thinking that just maybe those Reverbs, Delays, Modulations could be regenerating those pesky frequencies if they were after the Cab Block where I had those Hi/Lo cuts going on. SO just for good measure, I have started making the Cab Block the very last thing in the chain to calm my thinking(if its truly only makes me feel better).

As an aside @Burgs, love your videos.....been watching them since you've started doing them....copied plenty from your presets.....keep up the great demos!

A standard sort of guitar cab and speaker is not what you'd call "full range". Subs aren't present and rarely is anything much above 6K. While I trust the factory and third party cab IR's to be the best they can, I don't think it hurts to use the high and low pass filters to 'make sure' they are not spitting out anything below, say, 90-100Hz or above 6.5kHz, for the sake of authenticity (1) and also so you don't get muddled up in the bass/drums mix (2) and/or negate any frizziness (3). Using the high/low filters in the cab block is one way of ensuring this but you can also use the Global EQ or any number of other post EQ blocks. I use the cab block filters AND the global EQ. Then I know I'm on the money.
If you wanted to do this via the Global EQ instead of going into the cab block of all your presets what low and high frequencies would you recommend to cut and by how much? Thanks for your insight.

Back
Top Bottom