An advise on a perfect headphone for the Axe ....and where to plug it

fafakiwi

Experienced
Hi everyone ,
I m looking for a good and neutral quality headphone for the Axe ,
A headphone that won t colour presets , that will really transcribe the real sound of the Axe ,
I m intending to buy a Beyerdinamic DT 880 , 250 ohms edition.... but I m still hesitating ...
Does anyone have an advise on this product and I d also like to have proposition on better products ,
I ve read the thread on the headphone input which for certain of us should not be the best place to plug ... I m a bit surprised of it and I d like to have the final answer on it ...
Thanks for your help !!!!!
Cheers ...
Fafa

First, there is no such thing as "perfect" anything. Some people like the beyerdynamic dt880 @ 250 ohms, however they did not work for me. They were very very comfortable but lacking in depth/clarity for me.

There are literally loads of threads on this very topic if you do a search.

I ended up choosing blue MoFi which while heavier work beautifully.

First, there is no such thing as "perfect" anything. Some people like the beyerdynamic dt880 @ 250 ohms, however they did not work for me. They were very very comfortable but lacking in depth/clarity for me.

There are literally loads of threads on this very topic if you do a search.

I ended up choosing blue MoFi which while heavier work beautifully.
I will do a search ....
Can you tell me a bit more on your choice ,
I m looking for a very neutral headphone, no colour on the presets sound ...
Thanks !!!!

I use Sennheiser HD600s because I've had them for a long time. The reason I bought them originally was for mixing in conjunction with my studio monitors. They are very "flat" sounding. Sounds translate well to my monitors or PA speakers.
If I was buying another set of phones now I would be looking for phones that are good for mixing, so as to get something that is flat and full range. I'm not sure what is available on the market right now but open-back HPs seem to be preferred for a more natural sound. So I would search out headphones for mixing and mastering. I am not necessarily suggesting you get the HD600s but am just suggesting a search approach.

Good luck with your purchase.

I have been really loving my 'Blue' - 'MoFi' headphones. Heavy, and tight on my big head. But I got used to it.

I use the 'Passive' mode for the Axe-Fx headphone output and other interfaces. I only use the 'Powered' mode with low output devices like my phone. I never really use the 'Bass Boost' mode.

I have been really loving my 'Blue' - 'MoFi' headphones. Heavy, and tight on my big head. But I got used to it.

I use the 'Passive' mode for the Axe-Fx headphone output and other interfaces. I only use the 'Powered' mode with low output devices like my phone. I never really use the 'Bass Boost' mode.
Are them modes a setting in the axe or on your headphones

Are them modes a setting in the axe or on your headphones
Those are different modes in the headphones. They don't make the 'MoFi' model any more. They were replaced by the 'Sadie' model. They make a 'Passive' version that is cheaper and (a little) lighter called 'Lola'.

Last edited:
Same here. I've had good luck with my ATH-M50's. Neutral, clear, and reasonably priced.

For me, the key to satisfactory headphone guitar tones is adding a bit of ambience with reverb. When the speakers are strapped to your head, you get an unnaturally direct and dry sound. Unless you're in an anechoic chamber, there's always some amount of natural environmental reflections in what you hear. When those are missing, it can be a bit disorienting and distracting. A touch of reverb helps to add back some of that missing spacial information.

There are at least 4 threads on this multiple pages long on opinions. No one is perfect for anyone or the Axe...all personal preference.

Blu MoFi's still rawk.

Back
Top Bottom