An actual song - CRANK this up, Funnin

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
I finally did a little demo song so you can hear how this all fits in the mix. This is just the first 2 minutes of it; I am writing a lot of stuff right now and this isn't done, but I thought I'd post it for fun...

Same guitar - Melancon Custom Artist T - on everything, same preset on the two rhythm guitars AND lead; lead thing in the middle has neck single coil (WCR SR) with the rotary.

The guitars are not EQ'd in the mix, the mix was EQ'd across the master bus and limited. All guitars (and 'bass') cut direct via digital in to DAW and straight into Reaper. I did the drums with EZDrummer Pro and the 'bass' is the same guitar with the Axe-FX on "Classic Whammy" down one octave. (Thanks for the tip on how to handle that fellow Fractal Forum members!)

The preset is my JCM800 as it has morphed, using RedWirez IR's mixed with the stock British cab in the Axe-FX. I'll detail the preset and the IR's on another thread. I am VERY happy with everything right now.

Check it out, it's just for fun. Solo thing was one pass, first take sorta thing. Loved the tone so just clicked "Record" and what you have is what you have. :D

Crank this up: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8486383

That's awesome Scott... during the intro I imagined Kid Rock screaming over this southern rock riffage!!! Great stuff!!!

Really lovin the tones in this Scott. Sounds like your patches have evolved quite a bit, great stuff! Can't wait to hear some more tunes :)

Full song up, same link.

Need to replace the bass ASAP... but sent that out to get done... by a bassist. ;)

Once I drop that in, I'll recut all the guitars final. Simple song, but it's good to get composing, arranging and recording again.

Regarding bass, if someone wants a punchy sound for a slapbass kind of tone: take the Ring Modulator from factory preset 201 and put it on top of a clean sound on the verg of breakup. Have fun.

Man, that lead tone is just awesome (well, they all are, but that one is super extra tasty). Fantastic work Scott.

Sweet one, Scott! Would sound killer with real drums and a nice and gritty Hammond B3...
I really dig the dynamics of the song where the energy goes up and down at the right places, last time I heard this has been "Child In Time"...

Thanks guys.

This was just an off-the cuff thing; I was messing with the drum sequencer and was using this to test some of the work I am doing chasing IR mixes and the reverb settings found in the threads in the main section here. I drop-d on 'test' tones to see how the low end holds up and reacts from the IR. I liked the initial little groove and just decided to roll record and quickly built up a little arrangement and it grew from that. The single coil rotary thing in the middle has some things I like, but the playing and parts need a serious look and then needs to be done properly. You are hearing me just goof from the cuff; it's very uneven at this point.

I've been messing with the new reverb settings and the new rotary block and that's where that came from. That's all off-the-cuff one take messing around. The bridge/outro section has some of my Fender Deluxe stuff; one side has a trem, the other is a straight strum part. I'm a sucker for dynamic shifts in songs and ebb/flow. Especially in instrumentals; without dynamics they get tedious to hear over and over.

I have the song out for some bass parts from a serious player right now; he's going to give it a rip this weekend. I'll then revisit and redo all the guitar parts.

I will do a little thread about all the little things I've used here - including the rotary, I've finally got into using controllers (envelope in this case) to change the speed of the effect but still be in tempo/time. A lot of fun.

I like when little demos turn into something more akin to a song; and for me it's a chance to go to bed at night knowing a song that I didn't know that day when I woke up. That's the definition of a good day to me.

It's just fun, hence the title of it.

Scott Peterson said:
and for me it's a chance to go to bed at night knowing a song that I didn't know that day when I woke up. That's the definition of a good day to me.
I know that feeling, it's great and makes you sleep well! The best songs are made in one take (or at least in one state of flow), if I tinker too much and too long with a song it's getting worse and worse because the rational forces of my brain takes over and this is the beginning of the end of a good song (math metal excluded maybe).

Back
Top Bottom