Amundsen Hammond FW 18.04

Cobrango

Power User
What can I say? I've been tweaking for a while :D This is the alternate preset because of cpu overload in the original one (not without usb though), and the original preset sound even better. I started out using this preset called "My Hammond 1" by author "Dreamvic" but my preset sounds nothing like the original preset.

I wanted the overdriven tube amp kind of Organ/Hammond sound like Perfect Strangers by Deep Purple
it does not sound like the sound from perfect strangers and it's not perfect, it could need some improvement in the attack etc.

jon-lord_1603159c.jpg

I spent a lot of time getting the eq right and the overdrive to not sound harsh or shrill. then I had to spend a lot of time to get the bass balanced out and not to sound muddy or too boomey yada yada.

this is my take on the warm pleasantly overdriven hammond sound which has been pretty hard to achieve (for me at least) from the axe-fx II, until now :D

If I see some comments I may post the preset ;D (super excited about this preset!!!!!!)

check it out!

^that 0:03-0:05 though :O <3

EDIT:

another teaser before I go to bed :D maybe there will be a preset tomorrow, Cliff you like? :)

at 0:40-1:14 I'm trying out different pickup configs.

I get the phat sound at 1:27 from playing two strings in fourths, like the smoke on the water riff. A- and D-string at the same fret etc.

11050733_819476291439729_7482023932814364431_n.jpg

Last edited:
Yes good job!

Is it possible to keep the feel and make it less - hm... how do you say - wobbly/orbit around...

What is the distortion coming from amp/rotary? I would like to hear how it sounds with a little less.

Woooww ! Is it a single note stuff or you actually plays chords ? Btw very impressed even on crappy iPad ! Preset please !

Is it possible to keep the feel and make it less - hm... how do you say - wobbly/orbit around...

I bet the wobble is coming from the pitch blocks. This is were an updated pitch engine would really help out. I'm hoping Cliff attempts to upgrade the pitch engine in an upcoming release.

fine folks, here you have it.

make sure to check out the "Amundsen Hammond" - it sounds amazing, much better than the "Amundsen Hammond alt" I recorded. I could not record it due to cpu overload so I had to remove the compressor (used amp compressor instead) and inserted a different reverb (which sounds worse). You can play the "Amundsen Hammond" original preset by unplugging the usb :p

The "Amundsen Hammond alt" is also good/ok, and "only" uses 93% cpu, lol.

Maybe you can find a way to make the "Amundsen Hammond" more cpu friendly by panning left and right in the filter and chorus block? the filter and chorus are identical so maybe there is a way to fix the heavy cpu load by making it simpler, but not changing the sound?

so what did I do?

I spent a lot of time fine tuning the drive.
I ended up with "tape dist".
I made one rotary spin at 8hz and the other at 4hz.
the 8hz (horn) is only mixed at 50% while the other at 100%.
I set the drive to 8.5 for the horn and 10 for the.. uhm, woofer?

then comes my new invention. well it's new for me at least. This is a new thing I came up with while trying to get a Shawn Lane kind of sound (my never ending project). It's all about eq. I was thinking "how does he get such a singing sound, it's so smooth and sounds like someone singing.

wait.. voice! that's it! *reads on wikipedia about voice freq* - "the electromagnetic spectrum between 300 and 3000 Hz is also referred to as voice frequency"

so my new invention is to set the low cut to 300 (roughly, experiment) and the high cut to 3400 for all blocks except maybe the enhancer block and reverb block. does it sound like a telephone? no, it just sounds smooth and Shawn Laney - to me at least.

I know the human ear is sensitive to those frequencies so I have to be careful not to damage my hearing by playing too loud or for too long but to me this new (to me) invention of mine sounds really good, smooth, "fat", and awesome. I'm going to make more Shawn Lane kind of presets using this stuff. Finally I've found my own signature thing that maybe will make my sound stand more out as "me" (the 300-3400 thing), hopefully making people hear "yeah that's Torje Amundsen" when they hear it - even though it's based on Shawn Lane. Everyone can hear it's not Shawn Lane anyway haha :D

I think I'm going to use this finding for my master degree thesis on Shawn Lane (if I'm still going to write about him, in two years from now, but most likely I am).

I've written a bachelor thesis on Shawn Lane and I got a "B" (proud, lol. it's written in norwegian though)

my goal was to keep the new 300-3400 finding as my "holy grail secret" but I just can't.. I have this autoshare going on inside me and sharing is caring, and I just can't stop caring :D

I bet Ted Axe will chime in on this and my findings - he knows a lot about Shawn Lane :)

anyways, here they are. enjoy.

remember to unplug the usb for this one! :

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Amundsen Hammond - by Cobrango

and here's the altered version (more cpu friendly, sounds worse but still good/ok)

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Amundsen Hammond alt - by Cobrango

Last edited:
the pleasure is mine folks, you've all given me so much love and presets so of course I will tell you my findings :) well now, I hereby request reviews or at least opinions on what you think of the sound coming through your guitar/speakers/rig/fingers! :) I want to hear what you think m'kaaay? not just from hearing my clip, but from feeeling the feeelz you get when sitting on that chair of deep purple bach in the imaginary church all toccata and fugue in d minor style.

how does it feeeeeel? :'D

what do you think Tex Axe? why the short post? did the cork get stuck up yer nose? :D joking, haha it's all good. I just want some feedback that's all O:)

by the way Tex Axe, what do you think of my 300-3400 hz theory? does it apply to Shawn Lane? I need to do some tone matches to Shawn Lanes tone, but all I've got are those clips from his dvds (well VHS dvds) and they're so noisey :O

Cogrango,
Downloaded the cpu friendly version and WOW!!!
This preset is super and put a huge smile on my face ;)
Having this a choice in our sound arsenal is very beneficial.
Thank you for sharing this with us!
Greg

thank you all for the nice feedback and comments :)

Cogrango,
Downloaded the cpu friendly version and WOW!!!
This preset is super and put a huge smile on my face ;)
Having this a choice in our sound arsenal is very beneficial.
Thank you for sharing this with us!
Greg

yeah it's pushing the edge on the cpu but the original is ok without the usb connected, try it - it sounds waaay better!

I might have to try to find a way to save some cpu but keeping the same sound in the original preset, it sounds awesome with the reverb in the original preset etc.

300 - 3400hz
Yes, I have noticed this. On some amps, I decrease the freq on the triodes somewhere around 3400, and also other places. I do it by ear but I'm going to specifically try 3400 and see what happens. Same with the bass, I set it by ear- different amounts on different amps and of course, depending on the ir. But, it is amazing how cutting the bass can actually sound like more bass. My theory on that is that by removing the mud you simply allow the bass to be revealed. Never really put my finger on it but I think you're on to something with the vocal range theory!

Would be awesome to hear some feedback from the hammond nerds on here :D Simeon, Yek, the list goes on :D

Thanks! (not tried yet)

Where you there in the smilefan days? (fw5)

Maybe you could pick up a tip from these that sounded awesome and very musical. Still miss 'em and wanting to remake...
I don't have sounds of them but IIRC, yours is way "heavier."
You can open his fw5 presets with Axe-Edit 1.0.304

l0EZuwk.png

v1axHrv.png

Back
Top Bottom