Amps That Deserve Some More Love

Ever since I got the AX8 I have been using the Komet 60 as my go-to amp model. I have thought about buying the amp more than once and then I get reminded of the price... and that I’d need an attenuator... and a cabinet to go with it...

Whether the AxeFX model sounds like the real amp I cannot say. But we’re definitely spoiled with so many great sounding options available at the turn of a dial.

@2112

I see you are using a PEQ after the cab block, which is turned on for all four scenes, with low and high cut as well as a slight 2 dB cut at about 3.3 and 5.3 kH. I'm curious, do you do this in all your presets? Would you mind sharing a little detail as to why you do this?

Last edited:
The K60 is my favourite amp in the AxeFX and in the real world (still have one even after buying the Fractal).

It's not just a dirt machine either. Try turning the input trim down and keep the (preamp) volume at around 9 o'clock, scoop the mids a little and it'll produce some seriously sweet clean tones.

With the K60 I typically run the input trim at 0.5-0.75 depending on the guitar, and the input drive around 2. I'm not going for metal tones, and I would never use the amount of gain or high end that @2112 uses. I get plenty of gain for rock tones with these settings and it cleans up nicely by backing off the volume on the guitar. Add a drive pedal with the FAS Boost or attach a modifier to the Input Boost to kick up the gain a bit when needed, add a null filter to boost the volume for leads and I'm set as far as the amp tones go.

@Corinthian, it seems to me that the Fractal amp model for the K60 has a lot more gain than the real amp, at least based on Youtube videos of the amp by Simon Gotthelf (I have never played a K60, but I have played a friend's Concorde). What do you think?

@Corinthian, it seems to me that the Fractal amp model for the K60 has a lot more gain than the real amp, at least based on Youtube videos of the amp by Simon Gotthelf (I have never played a K60, but I have played a friend's Concorde). What do you think?

Yeah, that's what I wrote in the Amp Guide too.

Yes, the model has more gain than my K60. It also has more gain than the modelled Concorde, which I don’t think is the case in the real world.

Another Amp definitely worth mentioning here is the Ruby Rocket. I like it with the Rumble EV12L cab but also good with the recommended G12M. The EV is a little thicker sounding to me. Put an FET in front of it too.

Another Amp definitely worth mentioning here is the Ruby Rocket. I like it with the Rumble EV12L cab but also good with the recommended G12M. The EV is a little thicker sounding to me. Put an FET in front of it too.

It was actually between that and the Comet when I did this vid; I haven't tried it with EV's but I definitely will.

It was actually between that and the Comet when I did this vid; I haven't tried it with EV's but I definitely will.
Well I just got the III on Monday, so I’m going through & trying to recreate all my II patches best I can. I’ve always had a lot of Wreck Express, Bludo, Dumble, Ruby, Komet & CA OD2 patches. And pretty much all my patches I’ve been obsessed with being able to go from clean to lead with just the vol pot on my guitar. Which also, (obviously) allows ya to dial in those wonderful edge of breakup tones. So, anyway, I was doing the Wreck patch but with the Channel switching I figured I’d throw the Ruby on the D Channel, and I’ll be damned if it’s not my favorite one in the patch. It’s funny cause I used to never get along with the Ruby, but that was many, many FW’s ago on the II. On the III, it’s pretty amazing IMO.

I have a low powered K60 so its probably is not an apples to apples comparison but it does seem like the III has more gain. That being said, I can get the III to sound just like my K60. The feel is almost there but the III is not as dynamic as the Komet. I play my Komet through a G1265 and use them in the III.

Does anyone know what parameter in the III is equivalent to the Fast/Gradual switch? I'm using the Input Boost to get the same effect. I thought it sounded closer to the real thing than the Preamp Sag switch.

Well I just got the III on Monday, so I’m going through & trying to recreate all my II patches best I can. I’ve always had a lot of Wreck Express, Bludo, Dumble, Ruby, Komet & CA OD2 patches. And pretty much all my patches I’ve been obsessed with being able to go from clean to lead with just the vol pot on my guitar. Which also, (obviously) allows ya to dial in those wonderful edge of breakup tones. So, anyway, I was doing the Wreck patch but with the Channel switching I figured I’d throw the Ruby on the D Channel, and I’ll be damned if it’s not my favorite one in the patch. It’s funny cause I used to never get along with the Ruby, but that was many, many FW’s ago on the II. On the III, it’s pretty amazing IMO.
If you have the II or backups of the presets, I suggest using FracTool to convert the presets.

I have a low powered K60 so its probably is not an apples to apples comparison but it does seem like the III has more gain. That being said, I can get the III to sound just like my K60. The feel is almost there but the III is not as dynamic as the Komet. I play my Komet through a G1265 and use them in the III.

Does anyone know what parameter in the III is equivalent to the Fast/Gradual switch? I'm using the Input Boost to get the same effect. I thought it sounded closer to the real thing than the Preamp Sag switch.
Lower the Input Trim all the way to emulate the Gradual mode.

I asked this a while ago and Cliff said to lower the Input Trim to 0.5 to simulate the ‘gradual’ mode. In terms of the circuit it’s not doing the same thing but it has a similar effect. I’d love to see the real switch modelled though.

I don’t how much love it’s getting already, but for those of us who like it over in Plexi Land, the Blankenship Leeds model is pretty great.

Back
Top Bottom