Amps that clean up well

I prefer the DC30 (Matchbox) far more than the Chieftain, should def check it out. ymmv, of course...

My PRS drops off the high end as soon as I turn down the volume. Thinking of using pedal instead of guitar volume knob. Secondly, anyone think the volume pot could be bad? Thanks...

every prs that i have owned did the same. seems like there was more of a log function of performance than a linear function. jmo.

My PRS drops off the high end as soon as I turn down the volume.
treble bleed

Some of my favourite clean-up-amps:
Cameron CCV CH2
Friedman HBE
Marshall JCM800
Plexi
1959SLP

Actually Plexi 100 hi is exactly what I've been using, but I feel like the volume jump between "slightly crunchy rhythm to full solo" is too big on that one.
I am looking forward to playing with everyone's suggestions.

If you like the sound but need to compensate for the volume difference, go to the Dynamics page of the AMP block and set the OUT COMP control to between 1 and 2.

Try factory preset 105- the Morgan AC20 model.. I've been using that model with hardly any changes (to the amp block) from the factory preset w/ my '58 RI Les Paul to get fantastic clean-to-mean from just the volume knobs on the guitar. I find this varies from amp to amp based on the guitar being used as well. I always find it easier to get this clean/mean thing using single coils.. less so w/ humbuckers (which are low'ish output PAF types).

I haven't spent much time yet w/ other models since FW18 dropped, so not sure yet what others will add to my list. This is one of the most critical characteristics for me.. gotta have some good clean up with any amp I use.

IMHO 18.04 has changed the tonal landscape in this regard, and it's driving me nuts. I used to have just a hand full of go-to amps that would do the job of going from clean to nasty and now just about every amp I try works great. It's probably going to take me months (because I keep getting stuck every 'new' amp I try and I'm trying amps that I never even considered before) to get through them all. I mean it's just freaking amazing!!

My PRS drops off the high end as soon as I turn down the volume. Thinking of using pedal instead of guitar volume knob. Secondly, anyone think the volume pot could be bad? Thanks...

It's not that you have a "treble bleed", it's that you don't. Most guitars don't. I don't know why - it's a .20¢ part (.001µF cap) and it's pretty useful. I always install them on anything I build. Worst case is somebody doesn't like it, then dumping it is as easy as cutting it out.

My PRS drops off the high end as soon as I turn down the volume.
With both pickups on, if you drop the volume on one pickup (assuming there is a volume pot for each pickup), do you still get an output from the guitar (i.e. the other pickup only) or does it go off completely?

If the former then there's your main issue - the pots are wired independently & that's what results. My vintage Guilds are wired this way & the highend disappears almost immediately when the pot is down a a notch or two. Relatively easy change to standard Gibson type wiring (if it's not a hollowbody!!).

Could someone explain this as I don't understand, I am looking to minimise the volume jump between light crunch to full on solo.

'I went messing around with a few others that I normally use AC30TB, JCM 800 and noticed the volume difference was somewhat the same only the fundamental tone was the difference. You might try adding a compressor to the front end of the signal chain and attach an ADSR mod to it (Mix and Level), set the values so it adds some slight compression mix and lowers the level mix at full guitar volume to curb the volume jump'.

Also check my latest banks ( http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...2-fremen-presets-v-18-07-a-5.html#post1196461 ) - download link is on my blog. Presets 074 to 096 are all about amps that cleans well (or were made to with special tweaks). Each scenes selects a different amount of gain, so basically you have scene 1 = clean, sc 2 edge of breakup or light crunch, sc 3 crunch, sc4 rhythm and sc5 lead. Amp models includes AC20, D30, Bassman, 5153 green, Bogner Blue, Blankenship Leeds, Buttery, Komet, Ruby Rocket, Soldano, Suhr Badger, Wrecker Rocket, Super Reverb and 4 Marshall

Hey Fredlos,

Are you any good with a soldering iron? You can fix that highs drop off really easily. I doubt very much your pot is bad, but replacing it is never a bad idea. Getting a nice CTS pot in there will help. The best thing, imho, is to but the high end little filter on that stops what you are describing - loss of high end as you dial down ther volume. You can grab a small resistor and a .01 ufd capacitor from Stewmac that fix exactly this issue. This link explains it all nicely:

Project Guitar :: Tweeking pot's and 3 very common treble bleed modifications

I automatically put it on all my guitars. Its very minor and helps quite a bit. These go between the #1 and #2 lugs of the volume pot, and it really makes a nice difference. I believe Stewmac even sells a new pot that has this little upgrade already soldered in. 5 minutes of work will bring the PRS back to life. I have two Custom 24s that I have done this on. Never going back.

Hope this helps

Joe

Back
Top Bottom