Amps similar to a JTM45?

H13

Inspired
Hey!

The JTM45 in the AFX is one of my favourite amps. It works bloody awesomely with my strat, but it doesn't quite like my Les Paul as much. It's almost there, but not quite.

I could pour over the hundreds of options and probably get the 45 to scream, but I reckon I'd have more luck switching out to something that's basically a JTM45 but a little bit different.

So if the JTM45 isn't quite working for me, but I want the JTM45 sound, what amp models should I look at?

Bassman with power tube type KT66.

What is missing with the Les Paul vs. the Strat? Would be easier to recommend an amp model if you can describe what is lacking.

Bassman with power tube type KT66.

What is missing with the Les Paul vs. the Strat? Would be easier to recommend an amp model if you can describe what is lacking.

Will give that a shot :)

I would love to be able to describe it. I can't really but here we go...

With the strat, there's a tonne of depth to the tone. Not as in bass but you hit a note and it just feels really immersive. Kinda like you're getting sucked into a black hole. With the Les Paul, I've got the same sort of tone, but without that really sorta immersive feel that draws you in. The Les Paul sounds thinner, but there's plenty of bass.

I don't think it's so much of an EQ issue as it is a character issue. The JTM45 loves my strat and plays nice with it. The JTM45 makes a good noise with the Les Paul, but it wants my strat :p

Hey!

The JTM45 in the AFX is one of my favourite amps. It works bloody awesomely with my strat, but it doesn't quite like my Les Paul as much. It's almost there, but not quite.

I could pour over the hundreds of options and probably get the 45 to scream, but I reckon I'd have more luck switching out to something that's basically a JTM45 but a little bit different.

So if the JTM45 isn't quite working for me, but I want the JTM45 sound, what amp models should I look at?

Friedman Small Box

when I use input trim to half settings of normal value and play with harmonics and bright you can get close (but never the same) as single coils.

you can set the values with modifier in your preset or make copy of the preset and change to taste with the above.

also strat and lp is very different so another reason it will not behave the same ;) and bass/treble needs to be set as well to taste. maybe even gain/mv

all can be set with scene modifiers in one scene

(check also the cliff notes)

Strats in general have a more open envelope while a Les Paul is by nature more compressed.

Try opening up the amp model.

Lower transformer match
Try an expander block
Use a dynamic filter to cut at 800hz with the amount of cut controlled by picking strength.

I assume your strat is single coil?
My guess is that is the difference in your tones. You probably are preferring the tone and chime of the single coils over the humbucker with that amp model.
I would also suspect the Les Paul is driving the amp harder and he's loosing definition due to saturation.

@H13 , have you tried lowering the Input Trim with the Les Paul? You'd still need to EQ things a bit to get them into the same territory, but perhaps that will get the overall feel closer.

Sorry all. I was out this afternoon and have come back to a whole bunch of suggestions which fall firmly into the category of: "Shit I've never tried before"

Will give 'em all a crack tomorrow after work and let you know how I go :)

Just discovered the JTM45 recently.
Setup clean with a bit of delay with my strat and I can't get myself to move from that patch.
Earlier FW versions of this amp were complete turn-off.

I assume your strat is single coil?
My guess is that is the difference in your tones. You probably are preferring the tone and chime of the single coils over the humbucker with that amp model.

^This is my guess as well. I've been a humbucker guy for over 30 years and JUST bought my first single coil equipped guitar about a year or so ago. The difference was exactly as you describe, and why I've been kicking myself for not trying one sooner. To me, singles have an inspiratinal character that none of my humbucker equipped guitars can replicate. In fact, they all sound sterile by comparison, ESPECIALLY with lower gain, edge of breakup tones like the JTM45 default settings provide...

RR

Back
Top Bottom