LucasLeCompte

Experienced
After owning the Axe Fx II and now the III, I realized I never actually explored all the cool amps we have, so I decided start exploring them. I am going through all the amps, starting from the very top with the Fender 5F Tweeds. Anyone have any cool tricks on using the tweeds?

Last edited by a moderator:
My current favorite is the Deluxe Tweed which is the Tweed Deluxe 5E3. It is so easy to get a great and useable edge of breakup tone. I used the ideal tab to get some extra tweakability but very simple adjustments to BMT made it sound beautiful. Sounds amazing with a TS808 in front of it. Creamy distortion and one of the best SRV tones I have heard out of any of the FAS models. Really sounds great with other effects like rotary, trem and reverb. This has become the main amp in one of gig presets.

The Way you TRUE FAS gear heads can just name an amp or cab off the top of your heads and JUST IMAGINE a rig in your head still blows my mind

like If I am not noodling around with my amp and cab looking at the names and literally picking one by one ,i can’t make A rig off the top of my head

I’m jealous lol

Next up on the amps list is the Fender 6Gs also known as the Fender Super (Brownface) and Fender Concert!

Love the brownies! There is a really clean 'center volume' Concert (very early, probably from 1960 but I didn't check the stamp on the tube chart, 5 preamp tubes, bass/treble/volume knob order instead of volume/treble/bass) sitting in a shop in Scottsdale that I have been drooling over, but I am actually starting to purge gear since I got my AxeFX3, as most of my tube gear is too loud to be practical for home use....

BTW, the Super and Concert use 2x10 and 4x10 speakers. This early in the '60s, they would still be AlNiCo Jensens, likely P10R. I use a Super Reverb cab with the 6G12, and a Vibroverb 2x10 with the 6G4, generally. Great sounding amps! I still want to kick myself for not buying the 6G4 back in 1991/1992 for $400. I ended up with a '72 Super Reverb instead. 😕

Love the brownies! There is a really clean 'center volume' Concert (very early, probably from 1960 but I didn't check the stamp on the tube chart, 5 preamp tubes, bass/treble/volume knob order instead of volume/treble/bass) sitting in a shop in Scottsdale that I have been drooling over, but I am actually starting to purge gear since I got my AxeFX3, as most of my tube gear is too loud to be practical for home use....

BTW, the Super and Concert use 2x10 and 4x10 speakers. This early in the '60s, they would still be AlNiCo Jensens, likely P10R. I use a Super Reverb cab with the 6G12, and a Vibroverb 2x10 with the 6G4, generally. Great sounding amps! I still want to kick myself for not buying the 6G4 back in 1991/1992 for $400. I ended up with a '72 Super Reverb instead. 😕

$400??? Man *oh Man, thought would have been awesome!

Last edited:
Whoa now, its time to be Savage! The Engl Savage is an amp that a lot of people wanted in the Axe Fx II, and I am so glad we got it! It sounds great in the Axe fx 3! It is super mean and sounds massive!

ahhh the Atomica High. This is an amp I over looked for a very long time, and feel like a fool for it! This amp is one of the best high gain marshall style amp in the axe fx! It is perfect Van Halen style "Brown Sound" type riffs and does great for high gain! With the right tweaking I am sure it can do pop punk too!

ahhh the Atomica High. This is an amp I over looked for a very long time, and feel like a fool for it! This amp is one of the best high gain marshall style amp in the axe fx! It is perfect Van Halen style "Brown Sound" type riffs and does great for high gain! With the right tweaking I am sure it can do pop punk too!

That’s Mark Cameron and the original amp never disappeared, it’s in EVH’s studio. There’s also a ton of debate whether or not it’s actually been modified, with the only signs of it having a mod done is a hole in the back of the amp. Whether or not it was, it isn’t now, nor has it been since it’s been pictured with EVH. Just throwing that out there because you’re probably going to get the 3rd degree from the Cameron fans and/or EVH nuts (generally one in the same).

The Atomica model should have came with a Fraud Detection effects block. It wasn’t an issue of taking on too many orders, it was an issue with Mark Cameron being a drug addict and outright stealing people’s money to supply his habit. The name was essentially bought out by Brad King and with the help of a couple other guys, including Dave Friedman, they started making the amps with Mark, but handling all the business themselves, however, if I remember right, Mark couldn’t keep his sh!t together enough to get the job done and it all fizzled. Fortunately, they took care of many of the people who had a head on order from Mark before they bailed him out. Unfortunately, some people still lost a ton of money and/or amps they sent to Mark to mod pre-bailout. From what I understand, he is doing better these days and is back in the amp business. There’s a high probability he’ll never have a good reputation due to the amount of people he screwed over in the past.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom