Amps models.....too many?

I used at least 60 different models today. There's no way I'd be happy limited to a dozen or so models.

60+ amps? I don´t think I´ve tried that many yet in my Axe.

Out of curiosity:
What do you consider your 'main' amp tone that you either always go for or did go for prior starting FAS?
And has the preferences changed during this journey that FAS have been (I mean you´ve probably tested many more amps than many of us could ever hope to come across)?

As long as I don't have to relamp the 200+ amps every 4 to 5 years it doesn't matter that much to me. I use 4-5 amps, some factury IR's and maybe 5-6 user IR's. Any other amp I try; I finish up tweaking it so much that finally it 'll end up to my "own sound tastes" and thus close to the usual go to stuff...no use to spend lot's of time on that therefore. I think it's great for any player to have a big chance to find his real life amp on the Axe.

I don't mind new amps getting added......BUT I don't personally need any more. There are more than enough amps for me to get exactly the tone I'm looking for. A lot of the new amps added I don't even explore because I don't have time and I'm happy with my tone.
That being said - who knows if one magical amp I've never tried will one day become my new favorite....so if more get added, cool.

Yes that's it, so one day I needed to get a sound for the solo of the Ramazotti/Tina Turner "Cosa della Vita" song and by pure accident came across the Spawn Rod OD2-3 that got lots of sweet harmonics in it's overdrive...funny.

If the AFX was custom made just for your own purposes only, then you wouldn't need all the amps and only a handful would be okay.
However Cliff is catering for thousands of guitarists, each with their own individual tone (or at least magical dream of a tone in their heads) so with that said I'm not even sure if 200+ amps is enough. o_O

I was an avid AC30 user on my AFX for ages, now I'm using a completely different amp which I would never have dreamt of using, but it's working so well for me. I would never have done this if it wasn't available to me in the first place.

We need more BASS AMPS
'Also, a folder structure for the amp models would be good - Like 'I want a Marshall sound so I'll select the Marshall category' etc.

thanks
Pauly

I pose this question not really to complain, more just wanted you all's opinion on the continued amp models growing. IMO I can't fathom another amp model being added that would do me any good. Splitting hairs really and to discern the difference between A, B and Z is tough sometimes. I do think a variety is great and the tones between most are drastically to small difference, but again....think we are at a point that it's like "mehh", "I'm good".

Ever go to a restaurant that has a huge huge menu? It sometimes gets a tad busy. Your thoughts?

My thoughts are I will never fully explore all the amp models.

My thoughts exactly. It takes too much valuable time to go through every amp and cab model. I only use 4 or 5 amps from the Axe fx II. I wouldn't mind if the amount of amps and cabs were cut in half.
But this is highly personal and I can imagine other people wanting to have choice over more than 200 amp models. Just don't know were they find the time to try them all out.

Another thing is that Fractal has to improve and update all these amps. That takes time and that means that they can spend less time on updating and improving the effects section. For me personally the effects are more important than the amp modelling.

The problem with the amp model list at the moment is that there are so many variants of the same amps. There's several rectos, plexis etc plus their different configurations (jumped, each channel etc). The list has grown to such a point that it would be wise to break it a bit.

I would like to see it split into amp model - channel/variant. So basically if you select a Plexi you then select one of its channels. It doesn't matter if technically this still means they are a different amp model but to the user they are the more familiar setup seen on real amps. This would effectively cut the amp model list in half as some of you would like, without losing a single amp model.

While I believe you could make do with just a handful of amp models, especially with the vast EQ capabilities we have, I understand wanting to have the models of different amps. If new amp models are added, I would rather see them be some different models than yet another "Marshall/Fender made in year X". For example I would love to see the newer Diezel amps modeled.

I can imagine other people wanting to have choice over more than 200 amp models. Just don't know were they find the time to try them all out.

TBH I personally only use about 3 or 4 different amps myself, and I seriously doubt anyone is using all 200+ amp models at any time. However, I do believe that all 200+ amp models are used by all users, which means they are still needed. I reckon if Cliff drops any 1 single amp model from the list then he will end up with a massive backlash from the users.

I pose this question not really to complain, more just wanted you all's opinion on the continued amp models growing. IMO I can't fathom another amp model being added that would do me any good.

There's your answer. There are thousands of "me"s for the amp list to "do good" to, with the list growing all of the time. So, sum all of their individual desires and you understand why the huge amount of model variety is one of the greatest things about this platform.

The risk of inducing option paralysis with a small amount of Fractal users is greatly outweighed by the reward of giving a huge amount of Fractal users the detailed, tweakable models they want, but can't get with competitors.

Put another way, you ever go into a music store and wish they'd reduce inventory?

The thing I like about all the variety of amps is if I plug in one day and none of my favorites feel right I can just try another.

Put another way, you ever go into a music store and wish they'd reduce inventory?

I bet tons of people do this; they only want the music they personally like. They feel the store should cater to them, and their taste. The fact that someone else might have differing taste is totally irrelevant to them. Instead of being glad that they do have a selection of things they like, they would instead complain because there are also things they don't like.

It's an all too common mentality these days in society, and it's played into by social media, Fox "news" etc. essentially we only want to see opinions that match our own viewpoint.

Taking this back to the Axe, I'm sure many would ironically love even more sub variants of particular amps they use, and take away all the ones they don't.

200 amp models are great if they are all amps you like

I wouldn't mind if every amp made was available for me to choose on the Axe Fx.

With that being said, it would be cool if we could somehow group them by either by brand, class, or stock power tube type to help with the selection process.

I guess the same would go for IR's.

Anyway, options are always a good thing, especially for musicians and artists in general.

It's an orgy of riches—no complaints here. I would go in for a way of organizing them, though—like some cascading drop-down menus in Axe-Edit, e.g., "Brit" > "1959" > "Hi".

Back
Top Bottom