Amps models.....too many?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I pose this question not really to complain, more just wanted you all's opinion on the continued amp models growing. IMO I can't fathom another amp model being added that would do me any good. Splitting hairs really and to discern the difference between A, B and Z is tough sometimes. I do think a variety is great and the tones between most are drastically to small difference, but again....think we are at a point that it's like "mehh", "I'm good".

Ever go to a restaurant that has a huge huge menu? It sometimes gets a tad busy. Your thoughts?

Having the amp model list grow doesn't concern me.

My thoughts are I will never fully explore all the amp models.

But everyone has their own cup-o-tea right? So the additions might be what someone else has been waiting for.

I expect a lot of the amp additions are influenced by professional user's of the Fractal and also influenced by the great ears of the FAS staff.

More amps = more choice, therefore more likely to find your holy grail. Some folks probably think ..not another Marshall, whereas I think great! I never bother with the rectos or the fenders so having more marhshalls is great for me. Hope Cliff keeps them coming, would love to see a modded 200 watt Major ala Blackmore. Would be interesting to hear the extra bandwidth that you get from a 200 watt amp, especially ultra linear, but with a narly preamp!

For guitar models, I'm good, but don't lose any sleep over adding new ones. Several I now use were late adds that I wouldn't have suggested if Cliff had called and asked me. So there is value to having things added you don't think you need.

If Cliff did ask... I would say I'd like to see more added for bassists, where the Axe Fx can gain a large user base (no pun intended). It's a fertile field not yet being farmed to its potential.

I think realistically with 200 some base models and about 100+ parameters that can be tweaked for each model, any given tone under the sun is there. I think its unlikely that there is some amp out there that sounds so one of a kind only by specifically modeling it can the tone be realized.

That said, I think power of suggestion and playing with our eyes, instead of our ears, goes a long way towards users overall enjoyment.

Its just like how the Gilmour fans on the forum are always asking for a specific version of a specific model of fuzz. No denying the Axe can dead on nail Gilmour's tone; just go see Brit Floyd for proof, BUT there is that certain mental affirmation that comes from selecting, say a "rams head muff" from a list, even if the tone can otherwise be recreated sonically.

Its that affirmation that we are doing it right, that we are using a specific model which was used by our guitar hero, and not only can that make us perceive it to sound better, but its also kind of cool, especially when an artistic own specific amp was the one used for the model, right ?

I mean take Keith Urban for example. Am I ever going to be able to play his actual amp ? Doubtful, but in my Axe I can have a very exacting model of his specific amp. Is it realistically going to give me a tone I couldn't otherwise tweak and come up with ? Probably not, but its still cool.

I don't mind new amps getting added......BUT I don't personally need any more. There are more than enough amps for me to get exactly the tone I'm looking for. A lot of the new amps added I don't even explore because I don't have time and I'm happy with my tone.
That being said - who knows if one magical amp I've never tried will one day become my new favorite....so if more get added, cool.

I wonder if this would be a neat idea: We could choose what amp models we want loaded onto our Axe-Fx. That way, you don't have to scroll through a big list. Might be kind of cool. Not sure if it's doable. And if you still want all the amp models, you can load them all. I'm not real familiar with how a Kemper works, but isn't something of that nature where you load your own amps?

I love that Keith Urban amp. It's not something I'd have asked for in a million years but now it's there it's become one of my favourites!

It would make more sense to limit the list during editing rather than gimp the firmware by not loading content, flashing DOES incur some risk, esp for mkII/II owners. Basically the ability to 'favorite' a model.

TBH, I agree with most here: we are nowhere near too many. :) I am bright enough to not look at or be overwhelmed by the existing list. I am an AE dialer though... Might be a pain for unit dialers.

Only way I would have an issue with the amp list is if it limited quality, but it does not. Having options is never bad. You can always force yourself to limit your palette if you want but you can't add more without them being in the master list.

One of my favorite things about new amp additions is that Cliff's breakthroughs often reveal models I didn't focus on previously stand out in new sonic glory. A continual journey of discovery. I love it. Thanks again Cliff!

I've got zero problems with seeing more and more models – especially rare/discontinued things that we would have the ability to "preserve" in a sense.

But what I would like to see is the list condensed down to amps versus channels/modes. So for instance the USA Clean, USA Rhythm, and the various USA Lead models would be under one entry in the amp list and then you'd be able to select the channel/mode on the amp page somewhere. (I think this is already a wish list item)

If effort is going to be spent, I'd prefer it to be spent on the effects end. However, I paid my money based on what was there when I bought it, so really I'm not too invested one way or another in what happens development-wise at this point. It's all gravy.
-
Austin

It's always nice to get a new toy to play with. I like to have fun grabbing an new amp and getting some good tones from it. Also, we don't really have over 200 amps, but rather 200 channels. If they never grow, I'm happy. But I like to get some new toys every few months. Would be great to get the PWE Event Horizon 3 I used to own in there. :)

I don't mind busy restaurant menus….I hone in on what I want at the moment, and if it's good quality, I plan to go again…..and discover new items each time I return. Keeps me coming back.

Back
Top Bottom