Amps as Drives? Awesome!

Nice reminder of this trick....IIRC, it was @yek who first turned our attention to this on the II, back when one of the the first of the mass-market preamp pedals , think it was the Bogner red and blue , was released ...the Fender and ODS examples you present,Leon, are surprisingly useable.

Last edited:
Very cool! Never thought to do this in the Axe.
It does however remind me of being in the studio in the mid 90's and I ran my Marshall JMP-1 into the front of a Fender Twin and had an absolutely glorious smooth lead tone.
Maybe I'll try that tonight in my AxeIII

Hmmmmmm, now I wonder ...... could this be the answer to trying to emulate jumping channel inputs on a 5e3 that I've been wanting to try? I know there is some EQ stuff that goes on when you do that in real life ..... so maybe a little EQ tweaking as well?

Aweseome video man. I never thought of this.

This might be an interesting way to get around the audio gap when switching channels, although I'm fine with the current gap.

just to say , if you want to emulate a "plexi in a box" like plexidrive pedal to go in a clean channel , you have to let the power amp sim of axe fx active as the drive of these amp comes from the power amp.it also work like this.

Nice reminder of this trick....IIRC, it was @yek who first turned our attention to this on the II, back when one of the the first of the mass-market preamp pedals , think it was the Bogner red and blue , was released ...the Fender and ODS examples you present,Leon, are surprisingly useable.

I tried it using the Bogner Red and Blue as preamps with the Axe FXII back when this idea was first discussed. There was always a really loud pop whenever I turned on the preamp or switched to a scene that had it engaged, so I gave up on it.

Last edited:
I had forgotten about this,so I went to my studio and pulled up a Two Rock patch I‘ve been working on.Decided to put a Shiva in front as a pedal and wow.It is definitely one of my favorite drive tones now.Then I decided to run an Fas boost in parallel along with a chorus.The results were surprisingly good.I love this trick and will have to try other combinations.

I got to mess with this a bit yesterday and found some really cool sounds and wild distortion textures mixing a bunch of amps together. Such a cool tip for finding unique tones. Thanks Leon.

Hmmm... amp into amp...

I guess we need a Bogen Challenger PA amp model, then, to get that Terry Kath vibe going on....

Back
Top Bottom