Amplifier for IR capture - Quilter Interblock 45?

The data point that you should consider is: do you want a relatively flat frequency response from the amp so that you are really just capturing the frequency response of the amp & cab combination or do you want an amp that is going to hype some frequencies that are pleasing to the human ear?

I can't find a frequency plot for the response of that particular amp, so I can't tell you which camp that amp falls under.

The data point that you should consider is: do you want a relatively flat frequency response from the amp so that you are really just capturing the frequency response of the amp & cab combination or do you want an amp that is going to hype some frequencies that are pleasing to the human ear?

I can't find a frequency plot for the response of that particular amp, so I can't tell you which camp that amp falls under.
Couldn't the line out be routed back to the Axe to "remove" the Power Amp coloration, per Method 2 of this document?

Couldn't the line out be routed back to the Axe to "remove" the Power Amp coloration, per Method 2 of this document?
Yes, that's true.

Some people like to have the power amp baked into the IR for one reason or another. OP didn't mention that, so I thought to mention that.

The flatter your amp though, the less it can influence how the speaker reacts to the curve that that the amp imparts upon it when you subtract it out, at least from my experimenting.

Yes, that's true.

Some people like to have the power amp baked into the IR for one reason or another. OP didn't mention that, so I thought to mention that.

The flatter your amp though, the less it can influence how the speaker reacts to the curve that that the amp imparts upon it when you subtract it out, at least from my experimenting.
Yeah, method 2, subtract the amp coloration as much as possible. It's nigh unto impossible to find info on the specs for the Quilter. Was hoping it would be flat-ish from the FX return to the output. Need something less of a PITA to set up than the old SAE solid state hifi amp I have. Saw this and was hoping it'd be a better solution. 🤪

Unless you are shooting IRs with the purpose of selling them, I would not worry too much about the power amp coloration. It is part of the sound you hear, while you develop your tone, so you might as well include it in the IR.

Back
Top Bottom