• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Amp Suggestions

jw3571

Inspired
There are just so many amp options on this machine it's a little daunting. Can a few of you recommend some amps that will tackle these bands best. Not the same amp for all, just per band:

Scorpions
GNR(assume AFD)
Metallica
Rolling Stones

Thanks in advance.

ChrisCG

Experienced
I like the JCM for the 80's stuff or the Atomica low with a 4x12 IR
For low gain stuff like the stones any fender or Vox will do just fine. For Metallica I'd go for the 5150 3 Red channel there is more gain in that amp sim then you could every use.

Last edited:

H13

Inspired
Look at the amps that those bands used.

Scorpions I'm not sure about. The AFX has Slash's AFD amp in it so rock that. Metallica use the IIC++ for their live sounds (search the forum, there's somebody that shows you how to get awesome close Metallica sounds. Hint: Remove all 750hz!). The Stones have used a bit of everything, but Hiwatts are pretty good, as are Fender Twins.

HarrySound

Experienced
Pretty much what everyone else said but I'll add another one in that doesn't have anything to do with those in particular.
Divided By 13 FTR 37 hi or low with the factory division mix cab :)

I also prefer to use a 5150 block letter or 5153 blue 50 watt for my Metallica inspired tones personally because it's such an easy amp to use when you just want something right away.

B:ASSMASTER

Experienced
I like the Angle Severe (Engl Savage) for Scorpions style playing. That aside, it's one of my favorite amps in the Axe-Fx. It's great for a lot of genres.

Severed

Power User
Doing an 80's tribute, I've ended up using the IIc++ as my main amp and the FAS class A for cleans. I'm the lead player. The rhythm guy uses a real Marshall tube amp.

Ratt
Scorpions
WASP
Poison
Motley Crue
The Cult
Judas Priest
Guns n Roses

To name a few.

Couldn't be happier with how it sounds and responds at gig levels on stage and FOH.

Last edited:

brianv4

Power User
I like the JCM for the 80's stuff or the Atomica low with a 4x12 IR
For low gain stuff like the stones any fender or Vox will do just fine. For Metallica I'd go for the 5150 3 Red channel there is more gain in that amp sim then you could every use.
+1 on this. Brit 800 for Scorpions & GnR (don't care for the AFD), Fender or Vox for the Stones. I like the Fender 6G4 with a bit of AC booster (gain on 1, crank the level) and def the 5150 for higher gain. all great places to start!

Top Bottom