Amp sims have low gain and little-to-no distortion?

just curious... were the problems with tube amps related to too little gain?

No, why? :laughing:
The postal service in my area is pretty rough with the packages they're delivering.
Everytime I ordered an amp the thing had some mechanical or electrical issue
that probably stemmed from someone dropping the package a few too many times.

Did you check the input levels?
Go to I/O > Input, and adjust the input level until the red led on the input meters is lit briefly when you ply the hardest.

Extremely low settings on this parameter cause overall low gain across every model

I had this same issue. And this fixed it.

So you turned up input levels....where did you do that? In the global setup is has no effect on volume.
It's only to hit the converters right, the more you turn level up/down there it get's amplified more/less on the analog side to enter the converters loud enough but afterwards gets compensated again on the digital path, so after all no louder/lower signal comes in. It's just to get the best resolution of the converters. These controls would better get named converter level or something like that.

To increase gain:
You need to turn up the outputs of the input blocks in the grid. And take a look at the bar there, to see if the gate fully opens when you play.

I tried your preset and it sounds exactly how I'd expect it to with those settings. Gobs of distortion, far too much for my personal taste,
So something else must be wrong.

I use Sony MDR-7506 studio headphones and a pretty swanky guitar cable. I don't have access to better studio monitors but I think the
signal path should be sufficient enough to test the amp simulation.

I disagree here. You're never going to get an absolute true reading using headphones v monitors.

As for the tele, a buddy of mine has a Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 and that thing absolutely screams on every single channel - provided the volume is high enough.

Exactly, the volume is the key here. Listening to the real amp v headphones is comparing apples to oranges.

Tried everything you suggested but the sound remains the same. The model is mildly distorted but nowhere near the amounts of gain one would
expect from a maxed out tweed amp and a 1x8 speaker.

I ran this through My DAW using your preset and my Tele using my monitors and an Atomic CLR FRFR and it sounded very distorted. As I said, exacrly how I'd expect it to with your preset settings.

Just went through all the inputs and they all reacted the same way. My unit, however, just started 'stuttering'.
The gain seems to be jumping all over the place. At first I thought my cable was faulty but it seems to be
doing that with all my cables/guitars.

Now that doesn't sound normal. Perhaps you need to contact support.

No, why? :laughing:
The postal service in my area is pretty rough with the packages they're delivering.
Everytime I ordered an amp the thing had some mechanical or electrical issue
that probably stemmed from someone dropping the package a few too many times.
Did you ever get this sorted I am experiencing the same thing after dialing on some of
Leon Todds c++ presets, just got mine and tried all suggestion using emg 81 85 with CLR’s should be super heavy but nowhere near the sounf Leon gets.

This is what I have, and what I tried to solve in the separate thread -https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/low-gain.143346/

This is still an issue, I was not able to solve it. I add more gain as a workaround.
I'm starting to think this is a hardware issue, I bought it from G66 as well.

Did you ever get this sorted I am experiencing the same thing after dialing on some of
Leon Todds c++ presets, just got mine and tried all suggestion using emg 81 85 with CLR’s should be super heavy but nowhere near the sounf Leon gets.
Leon is almost always tuned in C standard. Are you? Ditch the headphones for comparison testing, as well.

If the Axe is “stuttering” and your gain is all over the place, sounds like it might be a wonky cable or a short in your guitar. Try another cable and see if that does the trick. If not, tap on your input jack and see if it crackles. Hopefully it’s jus the cable though.

Back
Top Bottom