Amp sim requests

I'd love a EL84-based Class-A sim for a nice warm velvety-clean vintage blues sound that's hard to get any other way :(. The Mesa/Boogie LoneStar special comes to mind (and being a production model is easy to find).

strumbringer said:
I'd love a EL84-based Class-A sim for a nice warm velvety-clean vintage blues sound that's hard to get any other way :(. The Mesa/Boogie LoneStar special comes to mind (and being a production model is easy to find).
Which of these EL84-based models already in the Axe-Fx come the closest to what you have in mind?

• CLASS A - Vox AC30 [/*:m:2ubi7ykz]
  • TOP BOOST - Vox AC30TB [/*:m:2ubi7ykz]
  • UK GC30 - Laney GC30V [/*:m:2ubi7ykz]
  • BUTTERY - Loosely based on a Budda Twinmaster [/*:m:2ubi7ykz]
  • WRECKER 1 - Trainwreck Amp [/*:m:2ubi7ykz]
  • Eggie R20 - Egnater Rebel 20 [/*:m:2ubi7ykz]
  • Mr. Z 38 SR - Dr. Z Maz 38 SR [/*:m:2ubi7ykz]

You might be able to get even closer to your ideal tone by tweaking the Advanced pages of the Amp blocks in these models.

No offense, but why do people insist on calling AC30's (etc) Class A?
An AC30 is Class A only to a point, beyond which it's Class AB.

Though I do concur that real Class A amps & other non-Fender cleaner amps are not well represented in the Axe.

Over,
Bob.

Broken record here... lab series L series... channel 2 low input.

Lab_Series_L5_L7_L9_L11_scheme.jpeg

onebaldbloke said:
Hey Dave.
I've never seen that schematic before (Lab).
Looks very interesting.

I hope that comes off.

Over,
Bob.

yeah it's a very distinct sounding amp... sustain for days, and a very thick tone, cleans up when volume is rolled down.. hard to describe. Listen to any of the early king's x cd's and that is the L5 2x12.

i have my fingers crossed..

onebaldbloke said:

Though I do concur that real Class A amps & other non-Fender cleaner amps are not well represented in the Axe.

Over,
Bob.

I thought Cliff exposed a parameter for us that allows us to move between "pure" Class A and Class AB. I can't remember the exact parameter but perhaps it is on the advanced tab. With that parameter you could take an amp sim (based on the tube type you are interested in) and make it Class A.

mworkman said:
onebaldbloke said:

Over,
Bob.

I thought Cliff exposed a parameter for us that allows us to move between "pure" Class A and Class AB. I can't remember the exact parameter but perhaps it is on the advanced tab. With that parameter you could take an amp sim (based on the tube type you are interested in) and make it Class A.

Here it is from the firmware:

Added Power Amp Bias control (PWR TUBE BIAS in Advanced menu). This parameter can be used to fine-tune the virtual power tubes’ bias points. A value of zero corresponds to full Class B operation. A value of one corresponds to full Class A operation. Values in between are therefore Class AB. For traditional Class AB power amps (i.e. Marshall, Fender, etc.) a value of 0.35 is considered the “optimum” bias point. For traditional Class A amps, (which aren’t really true Class A, i.e. Vox, Matchless, etc.) a setting of 0.75 corresponds to the typical bias value these amps are run at. Lower values of bias increase the amount of crossover distortion, add “hair” to the sound and make the power amp more “explosive” since the transfer function slope increases with input level. Higher values of bias yield less distortion, “rounder” sound, more linear response and a more compressed feel. At high Master Volume settings the effect of bias may be subtle. As the Master Volume is turned down the audible effect is more pronounced. Increasing the Damping increases the linearity of the power amp and also serves to reduce the audible effect of the bias control.

So you should be able to start with an amp of your tube choice and tweak the advanced paramter to make it Class A.

This might sound like a stupid request to some, but I would like to have a sim of the Marshall Valvestate 8100 or 8200 head on the OD2 channel (I believe these amps have the same preamps, the 8200 model just also had a built-in stereo chorus). The reason is Meshuggah's rhythm guitar tone on the album "Destroy, Erase, Improve." From all the info I have gathered, the guitar tone on that record was produced by combining a Mesa Rectifier track w/ a Marshall 8200 track. The Rectifier gives it the saturated Mesa sound (which is somewhat loose when palm-muting), but the Marshall 8200 gives it that EXTREMELY tight chunk (or djent) when digging into the strings when palm-muting. For a comparison, listen to their album "Chaosphere" where they used only the Rectifier without the 8200 - the sound is a lot looser and less defined. Also, for those interested, Chuck Schuldiner of Death used the Marshall 8100 for much of his later career. I know it's not known as a highly sought after amp, but it would add another great option for metal and hard rock guitarists and is much different than any of the other amp sims, being a combination of valve and solid state technology.

Anyways, that is one of my holy grail of metal tones, and it would be cool to get those 2 amps running together in the Axe-FX!

Here is a schematic for the 8100 preamp and poweramp:
http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/pc0689.pdf
http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/pc0689p.pdf

DawnOfIniquity said:
but the Marshall 8200 gives it that EXTREMELY tight chunk (or djent) when digging into the strings when palm-muting.
Try mixing the mesa with an amp with poweramp off (sag to zero). Mix to taste. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the suggestion. Which amp sim do you think would give a similar sound to the Marshall Valvestate? It's not a typical Marshall sound, it's much tighter and more aggressive, with an almost hollow quality to the midrange. It actually sounds quite sterile by itself, but it can give add a lot of tightness/chunk to a guitar sound when mixed with something else. This is all hypothetical by the way, because I will be ordering my Axe-Fx very soon. Hopefully I'll find I can get that Destroy, Erase, Improve sound without using the identical circuits that they used in the studio.

Hello

id like to have from the same AMP Model a clean, crunch and lead Channel. Same like Soldano but from the Conford Model. Why it is not possible to do all the Channels from an Amp and just the Lead channel in the most modulations? For me i like to have all Channels from a model because i want to have the same sound. I try all the clean channels from other models but only the USA Clean i like.Try to reach the same Golden Tone i have before with my Mesa Boogie Trem o verb but i never reach this with the Axe until now. It is possible to modelate from the conford Model the clean channel?? Or from the Mark II Model?? This Models have a Golden clean tone.......... Sorry my english is not so professional.

DawnOfIniquity said:
Which amp sim do you think would give a similar sound to the Marshall Valvestate? It's not a typical Marshall sound, it's much tighter and more aggressive, with an almost hollow quality to the midrange.
It's up to you. You could start with a Uber, Engl, Mesa, Marshall (JCM800 style), or a Trainwrek, or a vox... without poweramp the sound is tight & fizzy, without changing eq. Useful only in a mix, for a conventional guitar sound.
You could also try to parallel a drive block (and eq to taste).
There are lots of possibility. :mrgreen:
You could also tight the mesa response. I made some patch with "refined" recto sound, without dullness. Now I use Uber emulation, that has more clarity. Wait for your axefx, and start experimetal sounds... :cool:

Mojave Ampworks came up with a new amp model... the DIRTY BOY! I guess it's a Blues Saraceno Custom Amp...

Take a look at it:
http://www.johnjgray.com/jjgray/DIRTY BOY WHITE.jpg
DIRTY%20BOY%20WHITE.jpg

A Variac right on the front grill! I'll guess that it's the ultimate brown sound... There are many cool brown sound amps out there, the blankenship variplex, voodoo plexis, Metroamp plexis etc. but the dirty boy should top them all! For me, the clips found on this page:
http://mojaveampworks.com/index.php?id=5,0,0,1,0,0#peacemaker

are the closest ones to the original brown sound, they even sound better...

Back
Top Bottom