Amp Shootout: Matrix GT800FX vs. VHT 2/90/2

Over $850 !!! now thats getting serious. Whats the SLA2 go for over there? Around $380 or something.

See in the UK, the Art SLA2 is £340 - and the Matrix £440. Thats a LOT closer.

i must say though - I had the Art for a year, and though happy, once I compared it to a vlave power amp I couldnt live with it any more. Its why I bought the VHT. I had teh two together for a month or so and couldnt get the Art clsoe enough. Thats was 15 months ago, but I found it much easier to match the MAtrix to the VHT. Also, the Matrix "feels" morelike the VHT than I remember the Art doing. That said - Ive had another year and a bit with the set-up so maybe its just that I can tweek better now - and maybe its memory fade a little too.

Ultimately, Its what makes you smile. The Art didnt do that for me. The VHT gave me a HUGH smile. The Matrix makes me smile nearly as much - and its light as a feather.

Smilefan,
Since there's no TC30 mic in the Ownhammer EVM-12L and Mesa sets yet, which mic or mix do you use instead?

Over $850 !!! now thats getting serious. Whats the SLA2 go for over there? Around $380 or something.

On Craigslist (which has them quite often), $200. At least that's what I paid, and I've seen them since then for the same price.

It's actually over $850 shipped with today's exchange rate. :shock

Ouch!!! That's up there. I have been hoping for someone to build an amp comparable to the Matrix over here that is competitive to the ART price wise. The UK guys definitely have the advantage.

Have any of you guys tried the Carvin power amps? If they sound good, they´re a steal. 2 Rack Units. 1540L spits 1500W @ 8ohms bridged, 750W @ 4 ohms per side. $399 new and weights 14 lbs. Enter the Carvin 3000L, at 15lbs. and 3000W@ 4 ohms, or 950W@4ohms per side. Just $599. Support in the USA, and ready to ship. As far as I read on forums, they have a solid rep. The weight argument for the Matrix wouldn´t apply so much here (as in the VHT case)... Anyone could chime in with real experience with these amps?

They also have XLR and TS inputs, parallel option there; Speakon and TS outputs, and a dedicated Speakon output for the bridged mode. What more could you ask for?

Found a post from Mark Day in Rig-Talk, sayin´ good things about these amps:

The Carvins are an excellent choice. For me the ART was chosen strictly because of budget and the single space. The ART would NOT be my first choice if I had a bigger budget and/or a better back. I have had one that failed in the middle of a gig. I have tried it with the Carvin and it sounded better...no doubt. The VHT was better yet and the Mesa 2:100 was my favorite...but I used that amp for a few years and really bonded with it.

Source: Rig-Talk • View topic - I Did IT!!! ordered an Axe FX

Last edited:
Cliff uses a Carvin SS amp for his axe-fx, I believe it's the F1200? Someone can confirm the model number, but I think it might a discontinued model. From what I read, it seems he does some tone testing for the Axe using his Carvin F1200 going into a Mesa 4x12. I use a Carvin TS100 and it's fantastic. Getting over my Marshall snobbiness is the best thing I've done for myself, as I can explore cheaper yet still very nice sounding equipment from companies like Carvin. It's also nice that they're a US company, so support is much easier.

Yes, Cliff uses a discontinued Carvin model, I remember Mo was looking for one. Is Cliff´s a MOSFET amp? I doubt the Matrix would sound much different from the Carvin. They´re a bigger company, hence these lower prices they´re able to charge for their equipment.

Ouch!!! That's up there. I have been hoping for someone to build an amp comparable to the Matrix over here that is competitive to the ART price wise. The UK guys definitely have the advantage.

Sixstring, I hear ya, but it is a matter of how you judge the Matrix. If you compare it to the Art, sure it costs more, but it also sounds excellent and is lighter/quieter than the Art. Better quality product. If you compare it to the VHT, it's again lighter, sounds so close its splitting hairs difference with the VHT (with amp block tweeking).

Look, when I got the Matrix GT, I compared it to my Engl Powerball power section. Sounds the same. Sounds awesome. (and I do care about my tone, quite a bit) You just need to work the amp block: transformers, presence, depth, etc.

If the sound isn't the selling point for you, the weight, build-quality, quiet fan should. Those are big selling points to me.

What? Cliff does not use the Atomic stuf? Amazing discoveries!

I am sure he has ordered the Matrix already like Mark Day :)

It is just an awesome amp. That is all

I'll agree the exchange rate thing sucks big time at the moment, not just for you guys but for companies looking to expand their territories. Hopefully it'll be just a blip and resume normal service soon. Also remember that Matrix are just getting into the swing of things and if the right distribution deal came along for Matrix then I'm sure they'd look at it...be foolish not to.

I thought Mark Day used Atomics? and Cliff uses the VHT?......it's a mad mad mad world!

Aside from the physical attributes - lightweight, high power, 1U size, what makes the Matrix a more ideal amp tonewise for the Axe-Fx than any other hifi, linear power amp?

Remember we in Europe paid 2100 Euro for the Ultra. So please stop crying about the price and exchange rates. First the exchange rate will only get worse the coming months and secondly be creative. Ask any family member or friends if they are going to Europe. The amp only weights 3.7 kg and fits easily in your handluggage

Anything to declare?

Just a 800W solid-state poweramp, sir. Makes your ears explode.

Who said: explode?! *alarm bells*

Remember we in Europe paid 2100 Euro for the Ultra. So please stop crying about the price and exchange rates. First the exchange rate will only get worse the coming months and secondly be creative. Ask any family member or friends if they are going to Europe. The amp only weights 3.7 kg and fits easily in your handluggage

What is the problem with looking for alternative amps to the Matrix? It´s not just "crying" and whining because of exchange rates. The price paid in Europe for the Axe is not a valid comparison, there´s only ONE Fractal. As for power amps, plenty of alternatives around the globe.
If there´s an amp which is cheaper, readily available, has local support, reasonably light and, first and foremost, sounds good, that´s something to be considered/debated.

I thought Mark Day used Atomics? and Cliff uses the VHT?......it's a mad mad mad world!

Don't confuse facts with hearsay etc.
Of course Fractal will use tube poweramps/cabs to test stuff with. As well as with studio monitors, Atomics etc.

Sixstring, I hear ya, but it is a matter of how you judge the Matrix. If you compare it to the Art, sure it costs more, but it also sounds excellent and is lighter/quieter than the Art. Better quality product. If you compare it to the VHT, it's again lighter, sounds so close its splitting hairs difference with the VHT (with amp block tweeking).

Look, when I got the Matrix GT, I compared it to my Engl Powerball power section. Sounds the same. Sounds awesome. (and I do care about my tone, quite a bit) You just need to work the amp block: transformers, presence, depth, etc.

If the sound isn't the selling point for you, the weight, build-quality, quiet fan should. Those are big selling points to me.

I don't doubt your findings in the slightest and if I had the coin I would more then likely pick one up. I would love to shed a few more Lbs from the amp portion of my rig and I'm not questioning the quality at all, I saw the vid on how they were put together.

The price for the tone differences is what I was measuring. @ 90-95% of what the VHT is doing is great but at almost the same cost as a used VHT I don't know... Back when I bought the ART (almost 3 years ago) the main reason was to get rid of the weight and the cost the tube power amps brought and trying to do it with out braking the bank.

Now that you have a matrix it would be interesting to see how it sounds against an ART SLA-2 or Carvin 1540L or some of the less expensive SS options that are available here in the US. I know it's not quite the same but it would be cool to see how it sits using guitar cab and FR as well. Maybe if someone local has a 1540L we can all get together and see what the differences really are. I'm only about an hour or so from LA. I can supply the ART and a pair of Verve 12M's and a pair of home made rectifier style 112 guitar cabs loaded with Vin 30's. I would like to push them with different power amps to hear the difference, what do ya think?

Sixstring,

It would be great if you guys could do such a comparison. I´m very curious about that. Maybe other amps could achieve this 90-95% mark, you know? With the Rocktron V300 it was easy to get awesome tones using (cranking) its reactance/definition controls. Despite being cheap... albeit heavy for a 300W @8 ohms bridged. Now, with CArvin 1540L putting 1500W under just 14 lbs., we need to hear how well it fares against the GT800.

Last edited:
Yes, Cliff uses a discontinued Carvin model, I remember Mo was looking for one. Is Cliff´s a MOSFET amp? I doubt the Matrix would sound much different from the Carvin. They´re a bigger company, hence these lower prices they´re able to charge for their equipment.

I bought the last DCM1000 from the Carvin warehouse because I didn't want an amp with a digital switching power supply (despite the amazing weight reduction). I'm not sure that it (or Cliff's) is a MOSFET design as it's not advertised as such in the manual, but it is a true class A/B amp with a massive torroidal transformer, which I hold in higher sonic regard than the new weight-saving switching power supplies, especially in the upper octaves.

I've listened to music through it into my hi-fi and it's not a bad amp. I prefer my old Rotel, but it's nice and clean and has loads of power.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom