Amp settings for "The Edge"

Andre Antunes

Inspired
Hi guys, wondering if you have any recommended amp model + settings to mimic "The Edge's" guitar tone. Not talking about delays and effects,strat, fingers, haircut... just that cleanish/chimey core sound of the amp. :)

Thanks!

Try adding the 'SDD Preamp' drive before the amp model to add a little bit of grit, it emulates the slight distortion a Korg SDD Delay unit adds to the tone that's characteristic of many of his clean tones, works great for things like Pride etc

There is a lot of truth to this. Certain songs more than others, but it's a central part of his tone.

Totally. I couldn't believe the difference those little blue Herdim picks make on the attack of each note when I first tried them. It's a huge part of that overall sound. It's every bit as important as any other ingredient for the Edge sound.

here's the core tone I use for my U2 tribute band (axe fx for amp only, dual amp setup, amp on the left is ac30tb, amp on the right is ac30hot, RW IR's - ac30blues cap-edge on the left, ac30blues cone-edge on the right. All fx from pod hd500 - yeah, i know, i'm most of time on the road and never find the time to program the fx in the axe):

Far as I remember, there's a factory preset that gets you there. Put the SDD in front of it (if it's not there) and go. Get the funky pick (or just try a rough edged coin) and you'll get that tone. Don't overthink it too much. Much of what that sounds like is his style of playing, I'd spend much more time working on that than fiddling knobs.

Far as I remember, there's a factory preset that gets you there. Put the SDD in front of it (if it's not there) and go. Get the funky pick (or just try a rough edged coin) and you'll get that tone. Don't overthink it too much. Much of what that sounds like is his style of playing, I'd spend much more time working on that than fiddling knobs.

agreed...a gritty AC style amp with the right delays is there for me...i think you're just nitpicking it to death beyond that.

The other issue is when does Edge ever go straight into a Vox? He normally has the DM4 and or pedals plus one or two TC 2290's and or the Korg 3K running into the amps... You can't just cop his amp tone. Its the strat with the herdim, with the Boss FA1, with the Korg, etc...

Looks like it getting a bit more complicated now:
Edge Rig Photo by dbuller | Photobucket

I've heard him go straight in plenty (in person). It's in his hands.

He does some straight in guitar playing demonstrating his rig without effects on "It Might get loud". Copping tones have already been echoed by others in this thread. It's HOW you play those notes that make it really happen.

I've heard him go straight in plenty (in person). It's in his hands.

He does some straight in guitar playing demonstrating his rig without effects on "It Might get loud". Copping tones have already been echoed by others in this thread. It's HOW you play those notes that make it really happen.

I think you are referring to the BBC clip, where he plays a few lines of Street without the delay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YweTGD0edD4

...on it might be loud he is using the full rig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMw8NjCs_dg

I don't get why people without knowledge/respect would have to comment and/or generalize like this. Whenever I read posts about the edge saying "you need dotted 8th delay" or this or that effect is like reading comments in a "insert random useless metal band here" topic saying you need more gain.
Anyways, there are plenty of examples where you can hear the core tone without fx, i.e. desire from the elevation tour dvd's. The basic for edges core tone is a sum of ac30's (usually at least 2, sometimes 3), one is brighter and cleaner (vox 1), one is crunchier with more mids (vox 2) and one is louder and more bass heavy (vox in a box). Vox 1 and vox in a box are usually always on, vox 2 comes in for a few strat tunes (i.e. pride, bullet the blue sky).

I don't get why people without knowledge/respect would have to comment and/or generalize like this. Whenever I read posts about the edge saying "you need dotted 8th delay" or this or that effect is like reading comments in a "insert random useless metal band here" topic saying you need more gain.
Anyways, there are plenty of examples where you can hear the core tone without fx, i.e. desire from the elevation tour dvd's. The basic for edges core tone is a sum of ac30's (usually at least 2, sometimes 3), one is brighter and cleaner (vox 1), one is crunchier with more mids (vox 2) and one is louder and more bass heavy (vox in a box). Vox 1 and vox in a box are usually always on, vox 2 comes in for a few strat tunes (i.e. pride, bullet the blue sky).

Good call on Desire from 2001, but how can you be certain he doesn't have the SDD-3000 on without the delay (just using the preamp)? Also he had a MXR Dyna comp in his rack back in those days.

Back
Top Bottom