Amp reset

rtcook

Experienced
Ok. Don't flame me on this. I have read (and tried) resetting my amp block to get the full update of the firmware as sometimes I can tell the difference and sometimes I can't. What is the proper way to do this? I don't want to have to write down all my amp settings to re-input from scratch. What's your guys trick in doing this? I only have a few presets and I know you guys have a lot more to deal with. Set me straight please.

Roger

There's so much discussion around this resetting of the amp block that I'm surprised there isn't any definitive answer posted yet.

Here's what I have found:
If an update incorporates new parameters then a reset of affected (amp, in this case) block may change those parameters as their defaults after update may not be their ultimate intended default values. I THINK the "speaker compliance" parameter behaved this way - e.g., the parameter was added but initially defaulted to zero on existing presets (thereby not affecting existing tones), but a reset of the block brought it up to the intended default of 50.

Thus, if an update does not add/subtract/change user-facing parameters, than no reset if the block is going to do anything other than reset the block. In my case, I recorded a short riff direct-dry. Re-amped using my favorite preset on FW 2.05. Upgraded to 3.00, re-amped, sounds a bit different, and no, I can't put my finger on it. Reset the amp block, and it sounds way different (duh, all my settings are reset). Put things back the way I had them and it's back to exactly the same as my post 3.00 update listen.

Short conclusion: resetting the amp block doesn't do anything except dial in the intended default "initial values". It doesn't smack any DSP magic on it.

Longer conclusion: Same as above except to add that, in this case, there was a change to the speaker compliance algorithm per the release notes; but still a reset of the block doesn't do anything magical except reset the values - you may, however, have to go in and tweak the speaker compliance parameter to achieve the EXACT SAME tone on 3.00 as 2.05.

I'm new to the Axe-FX ecosystem so hopefully there's some truth to my conclusions.

Thanks all for the info. Some more reading and testing is at hand. Might be time just to redo all my presets again.

Roger

FWIW .... as others have noted, the Wiki is very clear on this ..... unless the FW Release Notes say to do it, no resetting of any kind or type is needed.

From the Wiki:-

" ...... What to do when new firmware is released ..... When new firmware introduces amp modeling changes, these are often implemented under the hood. As an user you don't need to do anything, UNLESS the firmware release notes instruct otherwise. Sometimes the firmware itself can't (or won't force) enforce fixes or improvements and leaves it to the user to implement these. Then the release notes will tell you to "deselect-and-reselect" a specific amp type in existing presets. When major changes to the modeling have been implemented, re-selecting every amp type in your presets is recommended, as will be noted in the release notes. It's a chore, but necessary to take advantage of improvements ..... "

Ben

FWIW .... as others have noted, the Wiki is very clear on this ..... unless the FW Release Notes say to do it, no resetting of any kind or type is needed.

From the Wiki:-

" ...... What to do when new firmware is released ..... When new firmware introduces amp modeling changes, these are often implemented under the hood. As an user you don't need to do anything, UNLESS the firmware release notes instruct otherwise. Sometimes the firmware itself can't (or won't force) enforce fixes or improvements and leaves it to the user to implement these. Then the release notes will tell you to "deselect-and-reselect" a specific amp type in existing presets. When major changes to the modeling have been implemented, re-selecting every amp type in your presets is recommended, as will be noted in the release notes. It's a chore, but necessary to take advantage of improvements ..... "

Ben
But that doesn't mean a reset couldn't be beneficial depending on what advanced parameters you have changed. I have tried a soft rest on several patches with v3.00 and a couple of times I liked the result better with the reset, a couple of other times I liked what I had before. It's easy & quick to check.

Back
Top Bottom