Amp Reset in Axe Edit?

Sean Ashe

Power User
Sorry if this is a noobish question, I've been a front panel guy for a loong time. Is there an equivalent to the amp reset (double clicking bypass on the front panel) in axe edit? i was auditioning different amps, and I tried 'reinitialize' and for some reason it just sounded god awful, like someone draped a blanket over my speakers. I double clicked bypass on my front panel and all was well.

Again, apologies is this is a simple thing.

Thanks to anyone who can help :)

Seems like I experienced something similar early trying the same thing- didn't seem to work like a double tap to bypass on the front panel. I'll try again when I get a chance and see if it was just something I was doing wrong. You get it straight yet on your end Sean?

Seems like I experienced something similar early trying the same thing- didn't seem to work like a double tap to bypass on the front panel. I'll try again when I get a chance and see if it was just something I was doing wrong. You get it straight yet on your end Sean?

I haven't tried, been just working on several factory presets just tweaking here and there. It's right next to me so out of habit i've been double tapping bypass.

Initializing amp blocks in AE works okay here, just like on the hardware.

Hi Sean,

First, we're renaming "Block|Initialize" to "Block|Reset" in the next release.
Not sure why we carried over that bad bit of language from AE 1x, but we can easily avoid this confusion going forwards.

I suppose it is possible that double tapping bypass and issuing the MIDI block reset could be doing something different. Only Cliff would know for sure.
I do know that when you default an individual parameter (by double clicking it in Axe-Edit) it will go to a generic default value, rather than whatever value might be achieved if you were to reset the whole block.

Admin [EMAIL="M@;907759" said:
M@;907759[/EMAIL]] ...when you default an individual parameter (by double clicking it in Axe-Edit) it will go to a generic default value, rather than whatever value might be achieved if you were to reset the whole block.
Thanks for chiming in, Matt. Gotta admit, though, that I'm not sure what you said there. What's a generic default value, and how does it differ from the boutique default value you get when you reset the whole block? :)

By the way, your handle poses some unique challenges to the forum software. When quoting you and editing the text, sometimes your username turns into a malto: command with a stutter. :)

Hi Sean,

First, we're renaming "Block|Initialize" to "Block|Reset" in the next release.
Not sure why we carried over that bad bit of language from AE 1x, but we can easily avoid this confusion going forwards.

I suppose it is possible that double tapping bypass and issuing the MIDI block reset could be doing something different. Only Cliff would know for sure.
I do know that when you default an individual parameter (by double clicking it in Axe-Edit) it will go to a generic default value, rather than whatever value might be achieved if you were to reset the whole block.

Oh gotcha, yea it's not really caused a big issue as the front panel is about 2 feet away :) But thanks for the heads up!

Interesting, I try using the Block Initialize function, but it will set everything to 5... Does it mean my AE is not working correctly?

Hi. I remember the old version of Axe-Edit had the capability of defaulting each individual parameter to the default value that is used when the entire block was reset while double clicking. Will this functionality be restored in the new version of Axe-Edit? This was a very helpful function that was not able to be performed from the front panel.

Thanks,

Dave Z

Hi. I remember the old version of Axe-Edit had the capability of defaulting each individual parameter to the default value that is used when the entire block was reset while double clicking. Will this functionality be restored in the new version of Axe-Edit? This was a very helpful function that was not able to be performed from the front panel.

Thanks,

Dave Z
as far as I know, no. has to do with the old way the old editor worked, which pretty much lead to all kinds of errors. the new editor gets ALL its information from the hardware and this translates to resetting blocks as well. whole blocks only. single parameters are generic and the same throughout all models.
a good workaround is to just load up a second amp with the same model, leave it untouched and you can check back and forth what the default values are.

v1 had a massive table of default values.
It was a nice idea, but things were always getting out of sync.

If the hardware can't do something, Axe-Edit can't do it.

as far as I know, no. has to do with the old way the old editor worked, which pretty much lead to all kinds of errors. the new editor gets ALL its information from the hardware and this translates to resetting blocks as well. whole blocks only. single parameters are generic and the same throughout all models.
a good workaround is to just load up a second amp with the same model, leave it untouched and you can check back and forth what the default values are.

Thanks. I actually was doing this (loading a second amp with the same model) in order to compare what the default values should be for individual parameters. The only difficulty with this is if you switch page tab (let's say to EQ page on the amp) on one amp block, and then you select the second amp block and choose the EQ page and then return to the original amp block (which had EQ page selected), the first amp block reverts back to the first page (not the EQ page that was previously selected). So in essence you can't have two blocks remain on different pages when comparing back and forth. This makes it a little more different to compare parameter values between blocks that have multiple pages. Maybe an option to "remember block page selection" can be implemented into axe-edit.

Another thought is to have a file (like an XML) that has the default settings for all parameters listed for respective firmware versions. This file can be opened via axe edit (but not accessed/modified by axe edit) by the user in order to allow the user to see/search what the correct default parameter value is. This XML file can be updated and included with future firmwares as changes are made to default parameter values.

Thanks,

Dave Z

Another thought is to have a file (like an XML) that has the default settings for all parameters listed for respective firmware versions. This file can be opened via axe edit (but not accessed/modified by axe edit) by the user in order to allow the user to see/search what the correct default parameter value is. This XML file can be updated and included with future firmwares as changes are made to default parameter values.

Thanks,

Dave Z
good idea.
in very early AE days and sometimes also for beta testing reasons, I took screen shots of the amps I was using mostly as a quick reference guide. only takes a few minutes to set up some folders with your fav amp models...

good idea.
in very early AE days and sometimes also for beta testing reasons, I took screen shots of the amps I was using mostly as a quick reference guide. only takes a few minutes to set up some folders with your fav amp models...

I used to do something similar trying to learn what parameters where changed when a new update was made. I used CyberFerrets Axe reporter to get before and after values that I imported into Excel and had a function to display the differences. Was a great learning tool and allowed me to adjust my personal presets in the same way.

Back
Top Bottom