Amp Power Supply Sag off.

Tom Morris

Power User
I understand this turns off the power amp section? I see in the amp block Power Amp section you still have control over MV Cap but nothing else. Kind of digging what this is doing with my FRFR powered speakers. Anyone prefer this for running live?

nope. i need that power amp juiciness.

this could work in some instances, but it's not the recommended thing.

sometimes just hearing something different sounds "better" at that moment. but when you revisit, you may not like it.

Anyone prefer this for running live?

I tried a setup using an AMT 11-A preamp with some pedals into it into a 2 Notes cab (no power amp sim) into effects going FOH. When compared to not hearing anything it didn't sound bad. It was thin sounding in the FOH without the power amp. It would probably work for recording into a computer as many lower quality options sound decent into a computer, but live you would not like it. Compare to another preset with power amp or your tube amp and see if you feel the same.

I guess I should have mentioned I primarily use a Recto Red Modern for all my high gain presets so this was only on that one amp. Also this is firmware 5.0.9. Nothing thin going on here at all.

When you dial the MV up or down you can increase or decrease the influence of the poweramp in a smoother transition. Keeping some shades of poweramp is maybe better than turning it all off?

The original post was a question. I wasn't asking for advice on how to set it. The question was: Does anyone turn it off?

With the high gain mesa channels I don't think it matters as much. The low end from the power amp can be compensated with a graphic eq. The feel will be different, but the tone can be matched. I've ran my Mark V ch 3 in 2c+ mode through my matrix power amp using the fx send and all that was really missing was low end. I added some back in with an mxr 10 band and it was pretty identical minus some sag feel.

Running the same thing virtually within the axe fx yielded the same results. I wouldn't do this with amps that rely on power amp distortion.

Back
Top Bottom