Amp-Palmer-Axe FX2

slashy

Inspired
Is somebody have already test the trio : Amp Head in a palmer like PGA 04 or PDI 3 (DI and load box) and then plug into the axe FX2 for use his cab simulation and lot of beautiful effect. ?
Because i would want to use my Caroll OD-3R more, but too difficult in a room with neighbors .
The Palmer translate the signal of the Head Amp into line level.Peuraps a good solution for someone like me who want to use his amp. And the Axe FX2 is a perfect solution for Cab and Effects.
Any idea about this ?Thank.

I don't own a Palmer product, but the two you mentioned are cam simulators. I read about them quickly and I didn't see an option to turn off the cab simulation for the PGA 04 or PDI 3. If you want to use the Axe FX 2 for cab simulation, you don't want something adding cab simulation before it reaches the Axe FX 2.

You might want something like this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JDX48. This will turn your amp's output into a Mic level output, without any cam emulation. Only thing is you'll need something else to turn that Mic level into line level. You can get a small mixer for cheap to do that.

Another option is to run the Effects Send to the Axe FX 2 input. Only problem here is that you won't have your Caroll OD-3R's power amp section affecting the tone.

The Pdi 3 have 4 outputs without filter.The PgA 04 have the possibility to have full range (sound of the amp only).
So it's possible to enter in the Axe FX2 directly for Cab Simulation without the Cab simulation of Palmer.
But i would want to know if someone have already tried this formula ;)
My interest for Palmer is also for his Loadbox ;)

Yea. This was a pretty popular setup for @Ed DeGenaro for quite some time IIRC. He was loading down a head with a PGA-04 and then running the unfiltered outputs in to an Ultra. Not sure if he still does that or not but there's precedence for doing what you're asking here.

Yep tried that before (Mesa amp -> PDI-03 -> AxeFX XL) & it worked fine. I got the 4CM working too using send/returns; Guitar -> AxeFX -> Mesa Amp -> Palmer -> AxeFX -> FOH Desk

Sounds like the set up you are looking to run is very similar to my own set up.

I run Axe FX loop send to 1966 Marshall JTM45 head into a Palmer audio ADIG-LB (this is the loadbox which also has line out signal jacks, which is what you will need to hook up to) back through the Axe return. Then once that signal is back into the Axe you can do anything to the signal you want - as if it where an amp block in the axe, meaning you can run it through a cab block or tone match or any IR you want....
You can also run any effects from the Axe BEFORE the send in the chain too.....

The Palmer load box allows you to tune the speaker response too, between full wet or full dry, it's another awesome piece of kit though.
This method also allows you to run what would in effect be 3 amps / cabs at the same time. and honestly sounds incredible.
I pan the Axe Amp and Cabs full left and full right, then run the 66 Marshall in the center split 50/50.

Is somebody have already test the trio : Amp Head in a palmer like PGA 04 or PDI 3 (DI and load box) and then plug into the axe FX2 for use his cab simulation and lot of beautiful effect. ?
Because i would want to use my Caroll OD-3R more, but too difficult in a room with neighbors .
The Palmer translate the signal of the Head Amp into line level.Peuraps a good solution for someone like me who want to use his amp. And the Axe FX2 is a perfect solution for Cab and Effects.

Yes. I liked the signal chain of guitar>pedal board> amp> Palmer full range out> Axe II using cab IR, other FX, Axe out to PA or recording interface.
Also tried guitar> axe II volume/ compression/ drives, etc. send to amp> Palmer full range out> Axe return using cab IR, other FX, Axe out to PA or recording interface.

thank for your reply !So i know now that is a good solution for working with an amp and the Axe.

Amp output->Torpedo Studio->AxeFx->FOH
Disable all Torpedo Studio processing, use AxeFx for IRs, effects, ect.
Or if you can find one, (Two Notes LB202) just the loadbox that is in the Torpedo Studio. A reactive loadbox is much better than a resitive loadbox, not all loadboxes are equal! I wish FAS would provide for this option because I love my amps and am not looking to sell them no matter how good the AxeFx is!

Yea. This was a pretty popular setup for @Ed DeGenaro for quite some time IIRC. He was loading down a head with a PGA-04 and then running the unfiltered outputs in to an Ultra. Not sure if he still does that or not but there's precedence for doing what you're asking here.
Used to do this for years but these days I just run and amp block and a head vua fx block that I cross-fade between... So it goes pedal board, pre fx in the Axe, amp and/or sim, post fx. Amp goes to its cab and a load and send back to the Axe.

Yep I've done this a lot.

My signal chain:
Guitar -> Axe FX input, Axe Fx pre efx, Axe Fx loop send -> tube amp input, tube amp speaker out -> Palmer PDI03 in, Palmers line out (none speaker sim) -> Axe Fx loop return- Axe Fx cab block and post efx -> DAW / FOH / IEM / CLR's
To me this is an idealized 4CM that lets me use either the "real" tube amp or the Axe Fx amp sims, Axe cabinet sims on each of them and use the same / my prefered monitoring solution.

Back
Top Bottom