Amp - "Original" Cab/Speaker associations

Taco

Hi guys,

I just received my FM3, and didn’t realize there were so many Cabs (2 banks of 1024 ?).

I’m not complaining, and probably my question is a bit dumb, but is there a way to easily/automatically have the most appropriate cab per amp model “by default” ?

Although I’ve owned previous AXE-FX models, with which I’ve been through the extremely long process of finding the most appropriate “real” cab/speaker for every single Amp model in my Axe-FX (although it was fun . . . BTW thanks a lot to YEK and his Guide), I don’t want to do this again.

I’ve recently been using a Line 6 HX-Stomp, and although you have the option to separate amps & cabs and/or to load external IRs, I like the fact to have the ideal/original combination of amp/speakers by default.

In addition, I’m having 3 real amps (Marshall JVM410, Mesa Boogie Mk V and a Fender Champ), and I’d love to really compare them with the corresponding models in the FM3 (which I’ll be playing through a Matrix Q12A FRFR powered Cab) . . . I don’t really care whether the IR has been recorded with Mic A or B, on-Axis or off Axis etc. Especially for combos, for each modeled amp, I’d like per default the standard/original speaker IR . . . Possible ?

I know it’s great to have plenty of tweaking opportunities (swap Mics, and cabs and change plenty of parameters etc.), but I don’t feel like going through the 23 speaker IRs for a Champ, the 38 for a Blackface Deluxe Reverb, or for the 100+ for a Marshall.

Any suggestion/hint ?

Thank you very much for your replies,

Taco

Hi Taco,

Can’t suggest anything else that dive into yek’s guide if you want to do it yourself. But I think you should consider the @austinbuddy live gold pack. That way you have a template for all amp models at different gain settings, raw or with some basic fx. The pack sounds amazing and is really helpful to build your own presets with a lot less tweaking and IR rabbit hole digging

That's a great question - I'm in a very similar situation, also just getting into my FM3.

So far I've used the factory presets as a starting point. For instance, owning a Mk IV myself, I had to check out the preset #012 USA Mk IV.
For the Clean/rhythm, it uses a 4x12 Cali 121 E + 4x12 Cali 57 Cap, the latter at -7 dB. And for the Lead scenes, a single 4x12 CALI MIX, described as Cliff's Mesa 4x12 cabinet with Classic 80 speakers, mixed microphones. I suppose these would qualify as "appropriate" for the amp?

At rehearsal I sometimes play the FM3 through the power-amp + cabs of a Marshall JVM 210. Trying to reproduce this sound at home, I needed an IR for a 2x12 open-back cab, with a Vintage 30 and a Celestion Heritage G12H. Strangely, I can't seem to find that in the banks...

Curious to hear how others are doing the amp/cap matching!

Hi Taco,

Can’t suggest anything else that dive into yek’s guide if you want to do it yourself. But I think you should consider the @austinbuddy live gold pack. That way you have a template for all amp models at different gain settings, raw or with some basic fx. The pack sounds amazing and is really helpful to build your own presets with a lot less tweaking and IR rabbit hole digging
This. @austinbuddy ’s Live Gold Pack already has idealized pairings of Amp and Cab for every amp type in the box. It’ll save you hundreds of hours of work.

But realize that there is no one perfect cab for any amp type. At some point, your choices become a matter of personal taste. Or even what mood you’re in today. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the input everybody . . . That live Gold Pack from @austinbuddy seems to be a good solution, although I clearly understand and know, that everything is a matter of personal taste and mood. But to start with good pairings for all amps seems like being a great idea. And if I'm not happy or convinced by some combinations, I can take the time to explore different options. An easy way to order that Pack ? Have a nice day/evening everybody.

+1 on the Austin Buddy Live Gold Pack! I've worked with Axe and other modelers for years, but mostly just want to play guitar and enjoy great tones. With AB's presets, I've not tweaked a single cab block or have not wasted a minute of my time auditioning IR's. The biggest challenge is whittling down so many great amps down into a few presets to focus on. AB has done such an amazing job setting up these amps that there a simply too many great tones ready to rock-n-roll.

I suggest you watch a few of his videos explaining his approach. I learned a lot just from that. He uses a logical approach to setting up scenes in each preset for HB and SC guitars. He also sets up control switches to allow you to easily tweak amp blocks with switches on the FM3 to add a boost, tighten bass, treble, etc. very easily. For the most part, he has the volume pretty well balanced from one preset to another, which is another huge time saver.

Some will go on about how important is to learn how to tweak and adjust and dial in every nuance of your tone yourself. If they have that kind of time on their hands and enjoy the tweaking, that's fantastic for them. Of course you can do that too with any of AB's presets if you like. But at this stage of the game, I'm happy to just dial up great tones and enjoy the music.

Best of luck to you on your journey with the FM3!

Usually I take a look at the speaker impedance tab, in the amp, in order to check the best match.
Then I search for a cab with similar properties.
There's no best match, anyway. You pick what you like ;)

Thanks for the input everybody . . . That live Gold Pack from @austinbuddy seems to be a good solution, although I clearly understand and know, that everything is a matter of personal taste and mood. But to start with good pairings for all amps seems like being a great idea. And if I'm not happy or convinced by some combinations, I can take the time to explore different options. An easy way to order that Pack ? Have a nice day/evening everybody.
Hey Taco, How do you like the Gold Tone Pack so far. I am thinking about picking it up. Don't have the time to go down the rabbit hole.

+1 on the Austin Buddy Live Gold Pack! I've worked with Axe and other modelers for years, but mostly just want to play guitar and enjoy great tones. With AB's presets, I've not tweaked a single cab block or have not wasted a minute of my time auditioning IR's. The biggest challenge is whittling down so many great amps down into a few presets to focus on. AB has done such an amazing job setting up these amps that there a simply too many great tones ready to rock-n-roll.

I suggest you watch a few of his videos explaining his approach. I learned a lot just from that. He uses a logical approach to setting up scenes in each preset for HB and SC guitars. He also sets up control switches to allow you to easily tweak amp blocks with switches on the FM3 to add a boost, tighten bass, treble, etc. very easily. For the most part, he has the volume pretty well balanced from one preset to another, which is another huge time saver.

Some will go on about how important is to learn how to tweak and adjust and dial in every nuance of your tone yourself. If they have that kind of time on their hands and enjoy the tweaking, that's fantastic for them. Of course you can do that too with any of AB's presets if you like. But at this stage of the game, I'm happy to just dial up great tones and enjoy the music.

Best of luck to you on your journey with the FM3!
Hello Den, how is the Austin Buddy Live Gold Pack. Is it really worth the money.

Hello Den, how is the Austin Buddy Live Gold Pack. Is it really worth the money.
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I find the money spent on AB's Live Gold Pack to be one of the best investments I've made in gear related purchases. I've been using Fractal gear forever, but AB has dedicated many hours of over at least a decade learning how to get great tones out of Axe units. He also has great ears and presents us with a massive package of presets organized for single-coil guitars in some scenes and HB's in others.

I've found so many great tones ready to dial up and play that I just don't waste any time on endless tweaking. I know others enjoy that aspect as well, but with the little time I have to play, I want to just fire up the gear and go. If you do want to learn more about building great presets, you can study what AB does and learn a lot. I also encourage you to check out some of the videos and presets offered by Leon Todd and others here on the board.

Good luck!

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I find the money spent on AB's Live Gold Pack to be one of the best investments I've made in gear related purchases. I've been using Fractal gear forever, but AB has dedicated many hours of over at least a decade learning how to get great tones out of Axe units. He also has great ears and presents us with a massive package of presets organized for single-coil guitars in some scenes and HB's in others.

I've found so many great tones ready to dial up and play that I just don't waste any time on endless tweaking. I know others enjoy that aspect as well, but with the little time I have to play, I want to just fire up the gear and go. If you do want to learn more about building great presets, you can study what AB does and learn a lot. I also encourage you to check out some of the videos and presets offered by Leon Todd and others here on the board.

Good luck!
Thanks very much man. I pulled the trigger and got it. Man this is great stuff. I could not be happier I appreciate your response.
Have a great day.

Kewball

Reactions: Den
@KEWBALL ... if you haven't, I suggest you watch AB's videos as well. He explains his approach and shares some tips on how to get the most out of his presets and the FM3 in general. Rock on!

Back
Top Bottom