Amp-Only live room suggestions

SRVYJM

I wanted to post this as a separate post- but I play out a lot in rooms that are amp-only sound (jams and small venues) gigs- where the PA is only used for vocals- no amp mic-ing (how in the world do you spell that?) just a live mix from the stage between musicians.

Because of my terrible recent experience at one of these venues going direct to the PA, I'm interested in what people are using for light and portable powered speakers that I can set up behind me (no monitors when nothing is mic'd up) so I can actually hear my guitar- loud enough for a band mix in a medium sized standard bar-type venue but not so big and heavy that I'm lugging 80lb powered speakers or anything like that. If it gets too heavy I might as well just bring an amp- I'm trying to lighten my rig with the AX8 and get all the great tones I'm getting at home- just louder and simpler. At home I go through a board- live I won't any more- too little control of that mix (or lack thereof).

Thanks!

The Atomic CLR Neo is 33 pounds, according to their site, so it would work in that setting as well as any regular gigging in small to medium sized venues. It's the lightest guaranteed-to-sound-good-with-a-modeler monitor I know of, and many here swear by it. Not cheap, but it can be the only speaker you need for lots of uses.

From a weight perspective you might also want to check out AccuGroove. They are very light and sound good, although I have not personally played through them.

The Atomic CLR Neo is 33 pounds, according to their site, so it would work in that setting as well as any regular gigging in small to medium sized venues. It's the lightest guaranteed-to-sound-good-with-a-modeler monitor I know of, and many here swear by it. Not cheap, but it can be the only speaker you need for lots of uses.

The Atomic is looking like a really good choice at 33lbs and the ability to use it as a monitor wedge or a backline cabinet. I really like that- I could also point it up and at the back wall (like I do my '59 Bassman on tilt-back legs) to let the sound disperse off the back wall of a venue so the highs are not ice-pick in the ears of the audience. That also lets me turn it up louder.

It is a bit pricy- looks like $999- and it also looks like I have to buy it direct-only (15 day return) which I really don't like to do. I would much prefer to try one out with my AX8. Any opinions from folks on getting it direct? Was it easy and if you didn't like it- how was the return process? Who's using them live and are you using them for monitors or back-line?

Again, most of the venues I play at don't have a "sound guy"- just a crappy PA to plug into- so the actual volume needs to be from my speaker cabinet- Not FOH- which is generally very poor quality. Also, any opinions on how it compares to Friedman's FRFR? The ASC-12 actually looks just like an amp cabinet- which in my situation (stealth) might be an advantage. They also have the ASM-12- same thing only a monitor wedge shape and can be mounted on a pole (joke away). Of course- reading further the Friedman is a beastly 59lbs- nearly double the Atomic- that's nearly a deal breaker right there. I wish I could A/B them somewhere around town.

Funny, the Friedman ASC-12 weighs 2 lbs more then my Friedman Runt 50 and I'd be using my AX8 to model a Friedman amp! I should probably just haul the damn Runt 50 (not a Runt at 50lbs)! But the funny thing is I actually like the AX8 final tone of the Friedman BE more then all 3 of my real amps! Weird... but true. It cleans up nicer with my volume and actually has a smoother, nicer sounding gain then the real amps to me!

I really like that- I could also point it up and at the back wall (like I do my '59 Bassman on tilt-back legs) to let the sound disperse off the back wall of a venue so the highs are not ice-pick in the ears of the audience. That also lets me turn it up louder.

You really have no need to do that. There would be no ice pick sound unless you dial it in that way. FRFR doesn't "beam" like a guitar cabinet. They are typically very wide dispersion speakers.

Check out XiTone. I have the Friedman I leave at practice, keep 2 CLR's at home and gig with 2 XiTone's. They are about 38 lbs. built like tanks and sound fantastic.

Last edited:
Check out XiTone. I have the Friedman I leave at practice, keep 2 Atomic CLR's at home and gig with 2 XiTone's. They are about 38 lbs. built like tanks and sound fantastic.

Hi bishop, I think you already answered that in another post, sorry, but I have to ask again because I don't remember your answer:
If you could only have 1 (mono), which one would you choose and why? The Friedman, the CLR or the XiTone? Thanks!!!

Hey Bishop, does the XiTone have a TRS input? I currently use the effects return input on a Line 6 Flextone XLII, which sounds great but weighs 85 pounds. I like to run the AX8 output in stereo and can do so with the effects return. I'm wondering if the XiTone can do the same. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Hi bishop, I think you already answered that in another post, sorry, but I have to ask again because I don't remember your answer:
If you could only have 1 (mono), which one would you choose and why? The Friedman, the CLR or the XiTone? Thanks!!!
Tough question. It would definitely be between the CLR and the XiTone. Since I my main need would be for gigging probably the XiTone. It's so well built and sounds great. I have no problems having it bang around on the road. I'm not sure how comfortable I would be having my CLR banged around.

Hey Bishop, does the XiTone have a TRS input? I currently use the effects return input on a Line 6 Flextone XLII, which sounds great but weighs 85 pounds. I like to run the AX8 output in stereo and can do so with the effects return. I'm wondering if the XiTone can do the same. Thanks in advance for your reply.
Ye, it does. That's how I connect mine. TRS from Output 2 of the AX8 to the XiTone's.

I'm using a Line 6 L2T with pretty good results. Probably not on par with the XiTone's, Atomic CLR's, Friedman ASM-12's mentioned above but I've used it with acoustics, modelers & guitar synths without any issues. If you have the resources I'm sure the aforementioned options would be better, but people around here use a variety of FRFR PA type speakers with reportedly good results.

Just ordered a active Xitone Wedge- I'll post impressions once it arrives- I preferred it to the Atomic's on the demos I reviewed- although that means nothing without really being in the room. Too bad everyone sells direct now- I'd love to be able to A/B them myself in a room and then decide what to buy.

Pete Thorn does a good demo on the CLR monitor. It's on Youtube. I'm new here so they won't let me post a link to the video. Just search "Pete Thorn CLR monitor" on Youtube and it'll come up. Looks and sounds fantastic, but a little pricey.

You really can't judge how an FRFR speaker sounds based on a video or a recording. You have to hear it in-person... Because otherwise what you are hearing is a) how it was recorded and b) what the recording is being played thru when you listen.

It is a bit pricy- looks like $999- and it also looks like I have to buy it direct-only (15 day return) which I really don't like to do. I would much prefer to try one out with my AX8. Any opinions from folks on getting it direct? Was it easy and if you didn't like it- how was the return process? Who's using them live and are you using them for monitors or back-line?
I just bought a single CLR NEO MRKII wedge direct from Atomic. It was super easy, just a few clicks in PayPal and I got it in 3 days. I don't foresee going thru the return process because it blows away the Marshall half stack it replaced in my backline. I'm a metal player and the Atomic is superior to my Marshall in the following aspects listed in order of importance to me:

1) Uber tight heavy tone because of its FRFR marriage with the AX8.
2) Volume aplenty: 500 watts.
3) Wide sweet spot dispersion.
4) Size and weight.
5) No more tubes to replace and bias.

Just about every comparison review I researched said the CLR is the active FRFR speaker King which led me to choose it. They don't stay in-stock very long.

Last edited:
I just bought a single CLR NEO MRKII wedge direct from Atomic. It was super easy, just a few clicks in PayPal and I got it in 3 days. I don't foresee going thru the return process because it blows away the Marshall half stack it replaced in my backline. I'm a metal player and the Atomic is superior to my Marshall in the following aspects listed in order of importance to me:

1) Uber tight heavy tone because of its FRFR marriage with the AX8.
2) Volume aplenty: 500 watts.
3) Wide sweet spot dispersion.
4) Size and weight.
5) No more tubes to replace and bias.

Just about every comparison review I researched said the CLR is the active speaker King which led me to choose it. They don't stay in-stock very long.

Yep, I signed up for the 'wait list' with them. They're out of stock- went to XiTone (actually watched a comparison and at least on that one I preferred the XiTone-) and thought I'd get it right away- then received an email that they're backed up too and I'll have to wait 4-5 weeks. Bummer.
Have to drag my '59 Bassman out to rehearsals and a jam tonight- luckily I still love it's tone!

Have you considered a Matrix FR12 or Mission Io? They are on my list along with the CLR and Xitone. I think both are in stock, or were last I checked but then again so too was the CLR... Both would work well I'd think on a backline as they are both guitar cab style FRFR.

Back
Top Bottom