Amp Models thru the MATrix and a 2X12 cab. An observation and some questions

kmanick

Fractal Fanatic
So I had Pete (Guitarman86) over the other day and he helped me dial in some very good patches to use with my rig.
I have made an observation however that maybe some of you other guys on here that use amps ->cabs can maybe help me out with.
When using any clean amp model or a medium gain amp model I have found that I can drop in an FX loop block
and basically need to do very little if any eq-ing. Sounds great right on the spot (very happy about that) I have tweaked my global 2 EQ to help compensate for the cab I'm currently using it's basically a low pass to kill the hiss I get from higher gain amps and a tweak to the 250 slider
to help with this "boxy" tone the cab I'm currently using has.(Marshall 1922 with V30's)
But when I set up a higher gain amp model I have found that I need to do quite a bit more work with a GEQ and a PEQ to get the amp
to sound like you'd expect it to. It had gotten to the point where I was all set to box up my Axe and send it back to FAS to have it checked
as a defective unit, but when Pete brought his over the other day, they both sounded the same so I'm assuming they are either both ok or both
are "frakked'
So my question to you real amp->cabs guys is this.
Are you also using extra EQ to get the amp models to sound right, are you running the Master volumes
any higher than you work for an FRFR patch? Sag? any of the advanced parameters (besides the lores)
cranking the power amp up"
is there any one here that can just drop an amp model into a patch and basically do nothing (like the USA LEAD)
and have it sound "real"?? how are you doing it?

basically is there a trick you've come across that helps make this type of set up "come to life"?
the other thing I've been lulling is maybe V30's are not the right speaker to use with a modeler, maybe something like
a classic lead or a more neutral speaker would make life easier??.
I'm open to hear all thoughts and ideas on this.
thanks
Nick

If you hearing a boxy sound generally that's centered around 500Hz, Try a GEQ at the end of the chain and play around with it from 300Hz to 650Hz or so trying different Q factors to ether widen or shorten the width of the center freq. The GEQ is the most powerful EQ in the box so to speak ;)

Back
Top Bottom