Amp models that took over

Max_H

Inspired
Hey guys and gals! Been a long time since I last posted, a lot has changed in my life (most importantly I have an actual home studio now instead of skull candy headphones) but here I am with a query for you folks.

Is there an amp in the black box that you never really paid attention to until you screw around with it one day and now it's your main amp?

Ex. I was tooling around looking for a nice shimmering clean and I remembered how much I like Andy Timmons' smooth tone so I loaded up the TX Star clean and the 4x12 v30 Petrucci cab and boy does that clean tone sound good. THEN, I remembered that he uses the BB Pre drive to get his distortion tones. Added that sucker into the chain with a memory man delay and some rich hall reverb and BEHOLD I have my new favorite clean and lead tones. It's so thick and warm and gives me enough of that pick bite that we all know and love. Seems to be wonderfully dynamic as in very responsive to the guitar's volume control. Turn it a quarter of the way down and it's as clean as a nun's underwear, turn it up and it's fat and juicy.This preset has replaced my marshall, mk V, fender and div/13 presets. So fucking good man. Try that shit out.

I think the IIC++ was a revelation for me, never even been a heavy metal dude really, used to playing AC30s and Fender Twins etc. But the IIC++ just takes what great about those old amps and adds a ton of gain and it sounds amazing, plus it cleans up great as well. As a bonus it's also child's play to dial it in (which is what always bothered me about other Mesa amps, they were too finicky with settings).

I think the IIC++ was a revelation for me, never even been a heavy metal dude really, used to playing AC30s and Fender Twins etc. But the IIC++ just takes what great about those old amps and adds a ton of gain and it sounds amazing, plus it cleans up great as well. As a bonus it's also child's play to dial it in (which is what always bothered me about other Mesa amps, they were too finicky with settings).
For truth. Mesa knows what they're doing with amps. I can honestly say that on my top 15 list of amps in the axe fx, 10 of them are mesa models.

I used different Marshalls until the plexi 50 hi came into its own, then it took most of those over. Same with the 65 bassman normal.

Prior to becoming an axe/MFC owner only less than a year ago, and before that playing fender amps exclusively, I have killer sounding patches using amps and cabs I've never even heard of that sound better than any "real" amp I've ever owned. During my first preset build I remember thinking wtf is a Herbie lol

I bumbled across one of the 5153 presets last weekend. Never gave it more than 30 seconds before, but for one 24-hour period, it was like the Voice of God for me. Then it passed... I'm sure there's lots more discoveries lurking in there.

I use some amp models that I've played in real life but not liked. Usually had to be turned up way too loud to sound good or just didn't have the right features. I really dig the Cornford MK50 model.

I like the Lone Star models a lot too but I like the real amp if it wasn't for its cramped control panel and cramming commonly used stuff into the back panel is always a big minus.

I LOVE the various Cameron amps ("Cameron CCV").

I only started trying them out after I saw a power metal band live that I really like (Unleash the Archers). The whole show was great and I couldn't figure out what amp one guitarist was using until after the lights came up after the show. Saw that it was Cameron and remember that being an amp model. I had never heard of them before then, tried them one day, and now I love it. The low end is so insanely tight and responsive. I can see why a power metal band would use it!

Hey guys and gals! Been a long time since I last posted, a lot has changed in my life (most importantly I have an actual home studio now instead of skull candy headphones) but here I am with a query for you folks.

Is there an amp in the black box that you never really paid attention to until you screw around with it one day and now it's your main amp?

Ex. I was tooling around looking for a nice shimmering clean and I remembered how much I like Andy Timmons' smooth tone so I loaded up the TX Star clean and the 4x12 v30 Petrucci cab and boy does that clean tone sound good. THEN, I remembered that he uses the BB Pre drive to get his distortion tones. Added that sucker into the chain with a memory man delay and some rich hall reverb and BEHOLD I have my new favorite clean and lead tones. It's so thick and warm and gives me enough of that pick bite that we all know and love. Seems to be wonderfully dynamic as in very responsive to the guitar's volume control. Turn it a quarter of the way down and it's as clean as a nun's underwear, turn it up and it's fat and juicy.This preset has replaced my marshall, mk V, fender and div/13 presets. So ****ing good man. Try that **** out.

Preset please ! but i do know what you meen im using other amps that i thought i would ever be using Badger is one hell of a nice one..

when that magic moment of "10 min of inspiration " (in a 4 hours of playing) arrive, the amp you are using in that moment became "THE AMP"!

For me, the cab I select becomes the gateway for viewing amps as either "Wow! or "Not this time!".

Producing my cab packs, I have found certain amps are great for certain cabs and not for others.

So if you find certain amps are not impressive, change the cab ir file either to a different version that uses different mics on the same cab or to a totally different cab file and it can be a real ear and eye opener.

Using this method, I have not found one amp model in the Fractal that failed to have an inspiring tone with few spins of some virtual knobs. They are all pretty cool with the cab that handshakes well with the combination of amp tone, guitar, and playing style.

certain amps are great for certain cabs and not for others.
(...) or to a totally different cab file and it can be a real ear and eye opener.

Yep! I subscribe that!
AND i try even the worsest cab (ie a 10" single speaker with an amp head that you know needs a stack of 2x 4x12) with no-or-different mics and/or with no-or- different mic preamp settings... Axe is nearly infinite!

Yep! I subscribe that!
AND i try even the worsest cab (ie a 10" single speaker with an amp head that you know needs a stack of 2x 4x12) with no-or-different mics and/or with no-or- different mic preamp settings... Axe is nearly infinite!
For something amazing, try my Supro 1X6 ir with any of the Diezel amps.

It's not something you would do in real life as you would probably launch that poor little speaker cone into geosynchronous orbit.

But in the Fractal, it truly is an awesome, pants soiling experience.

For something amazing, try my Supro 1X6 ir with any of the Diezel amps.

It's not something you would do in real life as you would probably launch that poor little speaker cone into geosynchronous orbit.

But in the Fractal, it truly is an awesome, pants soiling experience.
Holy Sheeiitteballs!!!!!! I had forgotten I had purchased these...just tried a few of the Hyperreal and Choice mixes.with a DieZel VH4 blue ch.3.no caca, there is some thing going on I have NEVER heard in my Axe..some kind of incredible low that has a 3D quality..

For anyone who wants the preset i was talking about, here it is.
Scene 1: clean with chorus, delay, reverb
scene 2: rhythm-ish, dirty with no effects
scene 3: lead tone, fat and dirty

I used an epiphone les paul with seymour duncan jb-4 in the bridge and a jazz neck pu.

oh yeah, this is on q9 beta

Attachments

• Tx Star fat lead.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom