Amp modellers look like spaceship controls

I'm sure I could "need" to adjust a few more things at the gig. I'm curious how its design will actually play out.
So far, I didn't need to adjust any in-depth settings on a live gig, after I've set my presets up at home.... And I don't really imagine a scenario where i would.... All that stuff is homework.

Btw, An alternative to getting rid of the screen is a little cover door for it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Being someone who prefers the look of modern amps, like the ENGL InVader, but prefer vintage tone, like a Marshall Plexi, I love my Axe-FX looking exactly the way it is.

The Axe-FX is bordering on that "what the 50's/60's thought the future would look like" vibe, which is cool. It's just missing chicken-head knobs.

Hi.
Had an interesting brain biscuit:
Did you notice how people tend to listen with their eyes? When they see a device, the looks of it really affects the way they perceive the sound of and how they feel playing it.

I found this out years ago, and it goes beyond amplifiers. At one time I was using an electric guitar with a guitar synth to provide bass, orchestra, and classical guitar sounds for some local productions and church cantatas. I was disappointed to find out that most people in the audience thought that those parts were prerecorded and that I was just pretending to play with the rest of the musicians.

My fellow Long Islander already solved this dilemma. Don't look behind the curtain...

2014-04-17-DSC_0040640x428-thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Psychologist have already figured out what certain colors evoke in us emotionally. Orange = warmth.

Remember what McDonald's seats were all fiberglass red and yellow? That's because they wanted you to eat and GTFO. Those colors draw people's attention so that they will deal with whatever danger it represents. That's why green means good and red means bad, universally. Therefore McDonald's made sitting there an emergency situation. Since then they changed their tune, muting colors, using wood, adding wifi because they realized that people that stay longer buy more. From the wii article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_psychology

The general model of color psychology relies on six basic principles:
  1. Color can carry a specific meaning.
  2. Color meaning is either based in learned meaning or biologically innate meaning.
  3. The perception of a color causes evaluation automatically by the person perceiving.
  4. The evaluation process forces color-motivated behavior.
  5. Color usually exerts its influence automatically.
  6. Color meaning and effect has to do with context as well.
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Being someone who prefers the look of modern amps, like the ENGL InVader, but prefer vintage tone, like a Marshall Plexi, I love my Axe-FX looking exactly the way it is.

The Axe-FX is bordering on that "what the 50's/60's thought the future would look like" vibe, which is cool. It's just missing chicken-head knobs.
This is what they thought:

8fa38cfefb7d2cf74bcef6e367b6f73c.jpg

Hummm. To boldly glow where no man had Splawn before?

Tube be or not tube be.

Personally, it's all about the twiddlin' knobs und da biinkin' lights.

Psychologist have already figured out what certain colors evoke in us emotionally. Orange = warmth.

Remember what McDonald's seats were all fiberglass red and yellow? That's because they wanted you to eat and GTFO. Those colors draw people's attention so that they will deal with whatever danger it represents. That's why green means good and red means bad, universally. Therefore McDonald's made sitting there an emergency situation. Since then they changed their tune, muting colors, using wood, adding wifi because they realized that people that stay longer buy more. From the wii article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_psychology

The general model of color psychology relies on six basic principles:
  1. Color can carry a specific meaning.
  2. Color meaning is either based in learned meaning or biologically innate meaning.
  3. The perception of a color causes evaluation automatically by the person perceiving.
  4. The evaluation process forces color-motivated behavior.
  5. Color usually exerts its influence automatically.
  6. Color meaning and effect has to do with context as well.
giphy-facebook_s.jpg
Red also makes you hungry iirc and is a big part of why their logos and ads are slathered in it

I made a thread about this subject a while back! I talked about how the Axe-Fx had no "mojo" in the looks department, and I meant that in the best way. The Axe-Fx is a black box with a bunch of switches and knobs and a green screen on it. It is beautiful to the people who know what it is, but only because its beauty lies in its functionality. To the casual observer, it evokes basically no emotion, positive or negative. It's clean and slick looking enough to not be distractingly fugly like a lot of retro rack gear but there's nothing that really draws the eye straight to it to elicit oohs and aahs.

That trait is fantastic for actual musicians who want to base their tonal choices on specifically tone and nothing more, who don't want leather or vinyl wrappings and polished metal or varnished wood surfaces to sway their choice as to what tone is going to be best for a given song or mood.

Last edited:
To the casual observer, it evokes basically no emotion, positive or negative.
I'd imagine, to a tube snob, the first impression, when he doesn't know what that is, is: That's a soulless computer, it will sound all digital and sterile when I strum a chord...
To many people, knowing that it's digital alone gives an impression that there is something wrong with the tone. Something they would not not even think about if they didn't know and didn't see...

Eh. I'd rather keep the axe designed for whatever makes my workflow easier.

I wouldn't be able to think of any design that would work better than what is already in place.

Photoshoppers, where are you at? I know one of you smrt guys can do a nice woodgrain box for the box, to give it extra warmz.

15903622748_4244832717_b.jpg

16065266576_d2e99705bb_b.jpg
That's pretty cool :D
For some reason I like red audio gear....
Like the red dwarf for example:
25821_RD1_800.jpg

Looks like something "Red alert" :D
And I like the vintage buttons and knobs.

For me, the FAS aesthetic is sexy cool! Especially the signature green glow of the display in a dark stage! Any color, other than black, IMO, would make the unit seem cheap, mass produced, disposable, toy-ish and/or girlish or much worse... Like a toaster! :p
Yikes 'o' rama... not the toaster!!

If Fractal starts offering colors then guitarists will endlessly argue that the red FX sounds "warmer" than the gold FX, the gold FX sounds "more organic" than the green FX, and the green FX sounds "thinner" than the blue one. Only a hineywipe would play a blue FX. It would be worse than the front input or rear input debate. I am extremely grateful that the FX comes in basic black... although now that I think about it, a Puse version would be nice.

I would love to find chicken head knobs that would fit on the Fractal.

Regarding color schemes of audio gear, there are not enough units produced either with a jungle camouflage or arctic camouflage paint job.

I would dig that type of color scheme more than a retro styling as psychologically I would believe such a unit could produce tone that capable of going into battle with, if not nuking the listener.

Back
Top Bottom