Amp model shootout

@yek - might or might not be for you but have you given the Comet K60 model a good shake lately ??
I have a real Komet K60 and - no surprise - the model is spot on.
I love the K60 and use where I'd normally use a Plexi and especially where I'd use a goosed up Plexi.
It's a very classic rock sound and that amp loves greenbacks and G12H speakers.
Try experimenting with the input trim default is the fast mode and half of the default is the gradual mode if you'd like a more spongy power amp sag.
Also switching power amp tubes between EL34, KT 66 and 6L6's changes the character in interesting ways just like on the real amp.

@yek - might or might not be for you but have you given the Comet K60 model a good shake lately ??
I have a real Komet K60 and - no surprise - the model is spot on.
I love the K60 and use where I'd normally use a Plexi and especially where I'd use a goosed up Plexi.
It's a very classic rock sound and that amp loves greenbacks and G12H speakers.
Try experimenting with the input trim default is the fast mode and half of the default is the gradual mode if you'd like a more spongy power amp sag.
Also switching power amp tubes between EL34, KT 66 and 6L6's changes the character in interesting ways just like on the real amp.

For sure a great amp. But its gain structure and loose bass is not quite right up my alley. Any suggestions to dial it in?

A model of the newer "60 HD" model would probably fit my preferences better. ;)

For sure a great amp. But its gain structure and loose bass is not quite right up my alley. Any suggestions to dial it in?
you can check out the Simon Gotthelf Gear Demos,is what i did last night and OMG pretty cool sound from the Comet 60,i used this ir....
ML Brit PR75 SM57-R121 01

Did a few gigs with the Tucana. While I love it for leads, its rhythm tone is "gritty" in the upper mids, which I find hard to get rid of.
So I switched to the Ecstasy, dialed it in carefully, and have it sounding truly awesome now.
That's the joy of being able to choose from so many models.

I also discovered Bogner carries a small Bogner Ecstasy 25 now, which I'm craving for.

Which do you prefer? Blue or Red channel?

My tips for dialing in the Ecstasy (Euro) Blue and Red, with the right IR of course. Tone with an attitude.

Blue. (Modern)
  • Bright: turn on
  • keep the 3 tone controls below noon
  • turn up Presence, but not too much
  • Input Drive: 1 o'clock or higher
With these settings, the model sounds a little dark (but that's good), woody, juicy and fat, with the Bogner growl.

Red (Modern)
  • Bright: turn off
  • keep the 3 tone controls at default, Presence to your liking
  • Input Drive: keep low, like 10 o'clock
With these settings, the model won't get too saturated and have all the Bogner high-gain characteristics.

So many ... The one I mentioned earlier in this thread. The Bogner libraries from OwnHammer. The factory Uber V30/T75 cabs. Whether you go for V30 or greenbacks is a matter of personal preference.

So many ... The one I mentioned earlier in this thread. The Bogner libraries from OwnHammer. The factory Uber V30/T75 cabs. Whether you go for V30 or greenbacks is a matter of personal preference.
perfect im going to try the OH Bogner,thank you.

Last edited:
Great tips, I will have to try some of these out!

I really like the Class A 30W for clean to crunch as you said. It's just right for that kind of thing and requires low effort to get a good tone.

For high gain I jump around a bit more. Right now I kind of like the Friedman HBE with some tweaks but also playing around with the JVM JS 410 model, 5153, and Dirty Shirley.

Plexis seem to be trickier for me to get something I love. I do like the 1987 though.

I use the Friedman Small Box model for my classic rock songs. This is my favorite Friedman model for medium gain sounds.

How do you like to dial in the tone? I like the Small Box for that level of gain but I found it either a bit dark or bassy.

I agree, this model can be quite bassy. I use the low cut and set the bright switch to defeat the bass. I also use the 4x12 BASKETWEAVE TV MIX cab. Other than that, most eq controls are around 50%. Treble is a little higher.

I end up using Orange Rockerverb in live shows..for recording i go through a lot of the amps

Back
Top Bottom