Amp model shootout

Took some time at rehearsal tonight for a personal amp shootout. It was targeted at medium to higher gain. Because I'm already settled on the cleans and crunch.

My clean tone these days is the Deluxe Reverb Vibrato, Drive at 2.2 and Bass dialed back a bit. I love these amps / amp models with simple controls, quirks and all. Perfect tones, EQ'd and compressed to death, are not interesting IMHO, they don't stick. I prefer authentic over perfect. Isn't limited to amp models only BTW...

My crunch tone is also the Deluxe Reverb Vibrato. Drive at 9-10, and Bass turned down all the way. What an awesome tone. Works well with single coils as well as humbuckers.

I use these amp models with my 1x12 KTS 70-equipped cab, or my 2x12 with an EV-12L and KTS-70, through a Seymour Duncan PS-70. Fenders work very well with G12M or G12H Celestions, as proven by the Black Crowes. The traditional power amp amp + guitar cabinet remains my preferred backline rig. Beats the hell out of any FR system (which I also love, but for other purposes). Currently using an IR from YA's Checkmate M25 library when going through FRFR.

Okay, back to the higher gain stuff, which I tested with these same cabs. As you probably already know, 50% or more of the sound comes from the cabinet. So putting various amp models through the same cabinet makes them sound quite similar. Still, enough differences. I'm not a metal guy, and also not a Mesa / Diesel / etc. guy, so certain amp types just don't interest me.

Let's start with my current favorite: Carol-Ann Tucana Lead. In the past I thought this model was too polished. But as it turns out, it delivers just the right frequencies at gig level and I'm a Carol-Ann fan. Make sure to set Input Drive not too low, and turn up Overdrive to where you like it, going from classic rock to modern high-gain. You'd think that the amp is dark, but not at gig level. Keep Presence at default, and adjust Treble if necessary.

The CA Triptik is very close to the Tucana. But I prefer the Tucana. At default settings it's closer to my "ideal" dial tone than the Triptik.

Inspired by @Burgs "Brownies" video and preset, I tried the Brit Brown. Which is THE perfect amp model for some purposes, but too heavy and too thin in the highs to my liking. If I played in an '80s hard rock band, this would be my choice though.

The Friedman BE V1 always hits the mark. But two things keep me away from it. First, it 's too generic, it misses some character of its own. I think that @2112 (Leon Todd) made a similar comment. Also, somehow I don't like this amp model for leads. The notes don't cut through as well as for example through the Tucana.

Fryette More is a personal favorite. I have Fryette's GP/DI and Power Station 2 amps. The man's a genius. But the Fryette sound is not something I can use in my band. It's a bit too sterile, too industrial. But what a tone. Also fantastic for leads, so thick.

Played the JMPre, with Bass Shift, but this doesn't deliver the Marshall tone I'd choose, it's 2-dimensional for lack of a better description.

Played the Plexi 6550, which in the past used to be one of my favorite Marshall tones, because it was a bit darker and fatter than other Plexis. But not anymore, even though @2112 did a video just the other day. The gain structure and frequencies just don't please me that much, it's raspy. I'd choose Brit Brown, 1959SLP and 1987X over it any day.

An old favorite: Shiver Lead. Turn up gain and treble to get it to sound right, and it will rock. Totally holds its own when compared to the Euro Blue Modern (Ecstasy), which needs Presence bumped up and Bright Switch engaged to come alive. I used to own Bogner amps, and still love them, but they're picky and can be tough to dial in, depending on the cab. And that drives me away. Why choose a difficult amp when there are so many fantastic turn-key amp models available.

Finally, the Spawn Quickrod. Often overlooked. But fantastic when paired with the right cab, and so easy to dial in. If the Tucana doesn't work out for some reason, I'll probably go Spawn.
Have you changed your favorites with the advent of Cygnus?

@yek feel like we have kinda similar taste, expectation with our tone. I try every once in a while different amps (will look at some of the ones you mentioned in this post) and than allways go back to Hiwatt jumpered paired with some ev12l/dumble IRs. The key to me is cranking the master. This makes almost any compression unnecessary and the rest i do with input volume. From glassy clean to, edge of break up to more driven tones...it covers all. And no drive block needed. Works with all my guitars...on it’s own it’s not as sweet as a fender or raspy as a marshall but cuts through the mix
way better/easier and it’s honest...you hear what you play. If you haven’t tried, i wonder what you would think of it...

Still the Deluxe Verb (boost: King of Tone) and Euro Blue and Red. Using YA’s Bogner V30 IR (57+160) with all amps.
I used your settings for the clean and dirty Deluxe Verb, and... niiiiice! That's a great sounding model!

I'll take a look at that IR. I recently saw a comment that the 160 was the microphone used for some of the old Led Zeppelin recordings, and switched a couple presets to use V30-based IRs that used it, and, yep, that's definitely the sound.

It's amazing how flexible these systems are and how much time I waste listening to how good they sound.

@yek thanks for the tips on the Deluxe Reverb! That amp sings...been using your clean/lead settings with an Esoteric RCB for a little extra sustain. Cabs = York Audio's Deluxe Reverb IRs + Matchless 2x12 blended in for clean/edge of break up and York's Marshall M25 4X12 for glorious rock/crunch tones. Love the versatility of this amp.

Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom