Amp Model Closest to Mesa Boogie Mk. III?

I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but I know very little about real amps. I'm tone matching a rhythm tone coming from a Mk. III and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what amp model in the Axe FX III I ought to use (since there's no Mk. III model... right?)

Thanks!

I'm not sure to be honest, but here's my reference:

I messaged the band a while back and they let me know that they used a Mk. III with an EQ in front and a pedal in front as a boost, he didn't mention the name of the pedal... In his reply to me he said "like an 808", which makes me think they didn't use an 808. I tried the 808 and there happens to be a bump around 600Hz that the match won't get rid of, and the default mid frequency on the 808 model on the Axe FX is right around there...
EDIT: Nevermind, that probably means nothing if the mid gain is at 0.

Last edited:
I’d probably be grabbing the IIC++ with a good smiley face EQ curve on the amp. That tone reminded me a lot of Master Of Puppets, right in that ballpark.

I’d probably be grabbing the IIC++ with a good smiley face EQ curve on the amp. That tone reminded me a lot of Master Of Puppets, right in that ballpark.

Yeah the IIC++ was somewhat close, it came out kind of cardboard-ey though; I tried the USA Pre LD2 Yellow and it's a lot closer. I still can't match without the low-mid bump though... really weird. I wonder what's causing that.

Also wondering if any of the other USA models would get me closer but, I'm definitely too lazy to try all of them.

Yeah the IIC++ was somewhat close, it came out kind of cardboard-ey though; I tried the USA Pre LD2 Yellow and it's a lot closer. I still can't match without the low-mid bump though... really weird. I wonder what's causing that.

Also wondering if any of the other USA models would get me closer but, I'm definitely too lazy to try all of them.
Could be the IR..

Ah, just to be clear I'm using the tone match feature, I wouldn't dare try to dial the tone in without it because I don't know how the band dialed it in. I've been tone matching stuff for a long time, there are times I get lots of information about how a tone was recorded and in those cases it works flawlessly but I'm kind of blind here...

Since you guys are in agreement about using the IIC++ I'm going to try it again and mess with it a little more and probably post a comparison to the album tone.

Also, I forgot to mention, it seems like there's some really short room/ambience in this tone, that might be screwing stuff up.

I think this is as close as I can get for now. Listening to it out of regular speakers, I'm actually very close, but out of monitors the extra low-midrange woofy-ness I can't dial out is pretty present. I'm really thinking it has something to do with some room/short ambience in the album tone...

First, a chunk of the album tone I'm referencing for the match, then some silence, then my tone match. Thoughts? I can share the patch and match cab too if anyone wants to mess with it... Or if anyone thinks this is already a good match and just wants the tone, lol.

Back
Top Bottom