AMP MASTER VOLUME vs. OUTPUT VOLUME

Which is a better method to control the final output volume for presets, the AMP's MASTER volume or the Preset's OUTPUT volume? I only ask bc I have read in past posts that the proper method is to adjust volume by adjusting the AMP blocks MASTER Volume...but I am seeing a lot of Pro artists presets that don't seem to follow this rule of thumb, and they also don't seem to set the presets volume to the -6db line on the axe-fx front panel Utility level meters. Why is this? Mostly just curious if there is tone degradation when adjusting the AMP blocks MASTER.

thanks

There is not necessarily a definitive better method.. it all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

In simple terms, Amp master level can change the amount of power amp compression(and how much depends on the amp selected) and hence your final tone, the output volume is just a linear increase in volume.

Dont forget there are both Master Volume and Output level in the amp block. Output level does not change the tone, it's just a level control. Master volume does change the tone, a lot. It controls how hard the virtual tubes run.

exactly what I needed to know. I THOUGHT there was some tone loss in lowering the AMP's master. Thx for the fast reply.

Keep in mind that some amps sound "worse" with the master volume set too high as well. Keeping it set to 10 simulates amps that don't have a MV, but for those models that do, you might get a "better" done with the MV less cranked

Which is a better method to control the final output volume for presets, the AMP's MASTER volume or the Preset's OUTPUT volume? I only ask bc I have read in past posts that the proper method is to adjust volume by adjusting the AMP blocks MASTER Volume...but I am seeing a lot of Pro artists presets that don't seem to follow this rule of thumb, and they also don't seem to set the presets volume to the -6db line on the axe-fx front panel Utility level meters. Why is this? Mostly just curious if there is tone degradation when adjusting the AMP blocks MASTER.

thanks

I think you misunderstood those posts.

The most recommended control is the Amp Block Level control.

Amp block Master (like Input Drive and the tone stack controls) affects the feel and tone.

You can use the Master for overall volume if you are okay with the tonal changes. It is not really recommended here on the forum.

yes, my apologies I definitely meant the output level control not the MASTER. I created some new patches last night and left the amp block at its standard settings (FRIEDMAN HBE V2) and proceeded with building the preset chain as I normally would (CAB BLOCK, REVERB, DELAY, LOOPER) and instead of adjusting the preset volume via the AMP Block I instead set my levels to the -6db range using the presets OUTPUT. The result was fantastic. My tone is more rich, clear and responsive.

Before, my amp levels were consistently at -20 to -22 to get it down to the -6db line...I could be entirely mistaken but I found my tone to be somewhat flat and fizzy and 2dimensional. Where as using the presets output level control seems to keep my tone rich and 3-dimensional. Anyone else notice this?

Last edited:
Depends on the amp. I got good results with MV cranked on the Plexi treble, which is my go-to amp. In some other cases, cranking the MV produced less than optimal results, like you are experiencing.

Depends on the amp. I got good results with MV cranked on the Plexi treble, which is my go-to amp. In some other cases, cranking the MV produced less than optimal results, like you are experiencing.
He question was about volume adjustment so on that Plexi treble you are stil using amp
Level for over all volume adjusting

If you are using a scene controller to adjust input drive, or MV, then you're best using the output volume to adjust as it is also set by scene. So you can keep the output levels where you want them, regardless of the MV or input drive levels, from scene to scene.

Back
Top Bottom