Amp in the Room?

In the old days some of us mixed the "1x8 Oval" stock cab (as a 2nd cab) for a similar effect, adding oomph. Worked well.

Replacing the Cab with a Filter+EQ works quite well for real clean tones, but the higher the gain, the more you'll start to notice the difference.

To me AITR is just avoiding not to dial in too much of high content, so you crank up the volume. The EQ does something like that, but a cab block could do that as well but also it adds some extra character in the mids.

I can see a future where there is a CAB block not based off IR's that allow you to select this 'stock' types of CAB's with some power controls to dial in further + possibly some room type controls.. would love to see something like that as i really don't like the IR rabbit hole and don't actually use them that much for that reason - this, with some tweaking seems to potentially be really great alternative.

In what way is the "Cab block with a choice of IRs" rabbit hole much different from the possible "Cab block without IRs but with a choice of Filter/EQ options" rabbit hole?

AS an update. I did try this out on the past weeks' shows. I mixed using the twin model with the stock double verb cab, the sim loaded with jensens and the "no-cab" cab method. Each was used individually and I bounced between when mostly soloing. I just created cloned presets of each and went between.Sometimes with different gains in front of the amp and other times straight clean. The jensen cab somewhat won it to my ears, but the "no-cab" set up was cool, more at lower volumes/or rhythm kinds of playing. When I was testing this out warming up the "no-cab" sounded best...just not as much in the over "mix". The jensen were more forward and responsive to my playing. I only used the twin model for my test.

In what way is the "Cab block with a choice of IRs" rabbit hole much different from the possible "Cab block without IRs but with a choice of Filter/EQ options" rabbit hole?

I think prefer the immediacy of this vs IR's, just seems better to me, if implemented in a way with powerful controls you could have something like a greenback EQ, with power controls to make more vintage\modern sounding for example, or other controls to dial in your tone based off the core GB thing vs, search, ok here's all my GB IR's, lets go through and see which ones seem close to what im looking for - guess more i dial it in approach vs selecting through long lists.. think that would work better for me.

The irony of having a device that has hundreds of cab IR slots, and having thousands of IR’s to choose from whose sole purpose is to represent the mic’d cabinet, when apparently all we needed was a hi-cut and some EQ...

The irony of having a device that has hundreds of cab IR slots, and having thousands of IR’s to choose from whose sole purpose is to represent the mic’d cabinet, when apparently all we needed was a hi-cut and some EQ...
i get what you're going for here. but hi cut and eq is not "all we needed." the technique shared in this thread is just a different option for a specific result.

IRs are completely different than the filter+eq technique. :D

That’s kind of what I was driving at, sarcastically.

I’ll be clearer about my perspective: I tried it. It was surprisingly good, and usable. But for my purposes, a good IR is a very large piece of the puzzle for the sounds I am after.

I tried it. It’s good but completely different. With my CABs sounds tighter and focused vs this is more ‘open’ and ‘looser’ sound. I am new to fractal since 9.04 AX8 so a newbie question....
Didn’t there used to be option that let you choose ‘mic’ settings separately from the ‘cab’ settings? Isn’t that really ‘AITR’? Ie the AMP and CAB but no ‘air and mic’ with it??

A compromise would be to monitor using the no cab EQ and Filter (if you like that better) and send CAB to FOH?

Didn’t there used to be option that let you choose ‘mic’ settings separately from the ‘cab’ settings?
In previous Axe-Fx units, but not in the Axe-Fx III:
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx...s#Microphone_modeling_.28not_on_Axe-Fx_III.29
Isn’t that really ‘AITR’? Ie the AMP and CAB but no ‘air and mic’ with it??
Not really. You'd need far-field IRs, and apparently the previous cab IRs with no mic modeling was close-mic'ed:
"You can also select "None". That doesn't mean that you'll hear the speaker like you are used to (in front of the cabinet). All cab sims were created using a neutral Earthworks mic (using a PreSonus channel strip and the Axe-Fx itself as A/D converter), placed close to the speaker (the "far-fields" are an exception, see above)."
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/gen1/index.php?title=Yeks_How_Tos#How_to_select_a_microphone
A compromise would be to monitor using the no cab EQ and Filter (if you like that better) and send CAB to FOH?
Sure, you could do that.

Back
Top Bottom