Amp in a Room vs Studio Recorded Tones

Frfr is still affected my the room, as far as your perception as the player is concerned.

I just moved into a new place, typical Florida home, so high ceilings and tile floor. Horrible reverberant room really. Badly need some rugs and furniture lol

Plugged in my CLR and sounded just like an amp would in same room, muddy as heck

Frfr doesn’t cheat physics of an acoustic space. It’s not going to make my tone sound like an album tone as my ears hear it. Sound coming out of the speaker will, but I’m not hearing the speaker direct, I’m also hearing the reflections and reverberation of the room, same as if i had a guitar cab

Yes that's why it's called FRFR ;)

Too many people, guitarist especially, don’t understand what frfr is or means

I see threads like “should I get a frfr or a studio monitor” all the time, with the posters not realizing that a monitor is a frfr speaker. Different power handling and dispersion in some cases but essentially the same thing.

Heck, I’ve put my CLR on a pole before and used for studio monitoring of my synths and such. Works great.

Frfr is still affected my the room, as far as your perception as the player is concerned.

I just moved into a new place, typical Florida home, so high ceilings and tile floor. Horrible reverberant room really. Badly need some rugs and furniture lol

Plugged in my CLR and sounded just like an amp would in same room, muddy as heck

Frfr doesn’t cheat physics of an acoustic space. It’s not going to make my tone sound like an album tone as my ears hear it. Sound coming out of the speaker will, but I’m not hearing the speaker direct, I’m also hearing the reflections and reverberation of the room, same as if i had a guitar cab
Yeah but when I say FRFR I mean studio monitors in an acoustically treated studio.
Maybe I should have mentioned that!

This conversation is confusing the hell outta me.
I feel the same haha!
I don't know why everyone starts to explaining everything, I just wanted to ask what type of tone do you guys prefer and how do you tweak the Axe accordingly.
I didn't ask what an amp or FRFR is.

I feel the same haha!
I don't know why everyone starts to explaining everything, I just wanted to ask what type of tone do you guys prefer and how do you tweak the Axe accordingly.

Sounds like you should of created a poll then...

I like FRFR, sold my amps and cabs

Too many people, guitarist especially, don’t understand what frfr is or means

I see threads like “should I get a frfr or a studio monitor” all the time, with the posters not realizing that a monitor is a frfr speaker. Different power handling and dispersion in some cases but essentially the same thing.

Heck, I’ve put my CLR on a pole before and used for studio monitoring of my synths and such. Works great.
Yeah it's a wrong term to say "FRFR or studio monitors", but I guess by FRFR they mean a big speaker that isn't labeled "studio monitor".

How can I like a comment more than once??

This is exactly how I understood the original question.

I was doing this a lot some time ago, (before I fully comprehended the idea of getting used to hear, what the audience is hearing...), trying to make frfr box sound like a cab - adding mids like crazy, cutting highs, finding resonant frequency that is rumbling and shakes everything in the room. Adding volume to the point you can physically feel it. Then I was usually finding out it was completely useless :))

But it can be fun :)

Personally I prefer amp in the room. I have tried and tried to like FRFR, but it just sounds and feels awful to me. When I chug on a note, I want it to resonate, shake the floor, and feel like the sound is moving with me. With FRFR, instead I get this middy, fuzzy, flat, and oddly smooth sound that is so uninspiring to play that I usually put the guitar down and quit playing.

i know this wasn't the intention, but i think this is where things got confusing:

By the way, the original intent of my thread was discussing amp vs studio both in FRFR!
Not a cab vs FRFR thread, haha!

the moment you say "amp in the room" it sort of does become cab vs FRFR. most people will define "amp in the room" specifically as a real guitar amp/cab bouncing around the room. there really isn't a way to do that with an IR or FRFR speakers. so you could say that, by definition, the title of the thread was somewhat "real cab vs FRFR" at least in theory.

maybe that was already cleared up and understood, but that comment just stuck out to me.

all that said, personally, i experience "amp in the room" with my FRFR speaker when it's loud enough to bounce around the room and it isn't facing my ears. in other words, use full modeling, use an FRFR, but just put that FRFR speaker in the same physical placement and volume as a real guitar amp - facing straight forward to your ankles and loud enough to bounce around the room.

it may not be exactly the same thing, but i personally don't feel much different about that.

the thing about direct/modeling is that you can use headphones, or speakers that angle toward your ears, or many other ways other than how a real amp/cab is used. guitar amps are notorious for being "too loud" because they are directional and you need certain volumes to create certain tones. but with modeling, we don't do that (because we don't need to), but some of the qualities are strict physics and nothing to do with modeling vs non-modeling.

try this - spin your FRFR speaker away from you, turn it up - are you getting the room sound now? and no it can't be in a sound-treated room that doesn't bounce sound ;)

I feel the same haha!

Ha! This is a fun thread!

Okay, I'll join the fracas... When I play for fun in the man-cave, I dig the amp-in-the-room sound. I use two 50-watt tube amps and run them stereo (Fractal OUTs to effects loop RETURNs) with a Radial Engineering ABY pedal to kill the noise. I dial the Fractal's power amp and cab modeling to OFF and then tweak the global EQ to find the sweet spot for a tone that makes me all giddy - a little rasp and no sizzle. Move that air, baby!

However, if I'm recording, I go Fractal USB into the DAW, turn the modeling functions back on and use the factory IRs. Not quite as sexy, but you gotta love the simplicity and great freaking tone.

But, amp-in-the-room remains my favorite.

Last edited:
I've adjusted to using the FRFR by thinking of it more as amp in that room over there, mic'ed up, and I am listening in the control room. It's not as visceral as standing in front of a blazing cab, no doubt. But it does let me get the finished sound I want coming out of the mains without relying on the soundman to make it so (very minor room tweaks aside). It's a compromise, and just a choice or preference I have. I completely understand those who want to feel the wind in their hair :)

In whatever form, FRFR is FRFR. If they sound different, they are not FRFR, ar they?...

These are the days I wish Jay Mitchell was still on this forum so he could destroy posts like this with scientific fact and make people understand how little they really know about what a speaker is.

Back
Top Bottom