Amp Gain Question

marshall2553

Power User
I've downloaded several patches from other users and tried them out on my rig. Some of these patches were posted with clips so I have an idea of how they should sound. I'm noticing they generally have a lot more gain for me than they do in the recordings. I'm using an LP with 57 Classics and a Strat with vintage style single coils so I'm pretty sure I'm not throwing a hot signal to the Axe. Global Amp Gain is set to 0dB and my input level is set to where I rarely hit the red. I'm playing through a guitar cab using a SS poweramp with poweramp sims on and cab sims off.

If I roll back my volume knob a good bit or lower the Amp Gain by several dBs I usually get in the ballpark of the clips. When making my own presets it seems that most of the amp models get dirty quicker than I would expect given the drive and master settings. Anyone else have this issue? Should I just lower the Amp Gain globally and forget about it? I'm not complaining as I can still get amazing tones out of the Axe, just wondering what's going on. Thanks!

i wouldn't lower the global amp gain while you make presets. i would reserve that for at the gig, when for some reason there's just too much gain (or not enough?) and you'll have the full range.

the axe responds to everything in your signal chain so if your gear produces more gain, it produces more gain. just turn down the gain in each preset.

it's like custom ordering real amps from fender, mesa, etc with "less gain" because your guitar has a high output... you wouldn't do that! you'd just adjust the settings accordingly.

that's my take on it anyway.

My guess is you may have downloaded some presets from an earlier firmware. Things can change drastically sometimes from one to another, and with 6.0 and above, the tapers of the gain/master/BMT knobs in the amps changed to more closely model the actual amps. That could be where the extra gain is coming from.

It is usually best to stick with newer downloaded user presets, especially until you get a handle on the inner workings of the Axe-II.

My guess is you may have downloaded some presets from an earlier firmware. Things can change drastically sometimes from one to another, and with 6.0 and above, the tapers of the gain/master/BMT knobs in the amps changed to more closely model the actual amps. That could be where the extra gain is coming from.

It is usually best to stick with newer downloaded user presets, especially until you get a handle on the inner workings of the Axe-II.

the tapers did not change on the master.

"Reworked most drive tapers to match actual amp. Master Volume tapers, however, are uniform across all amp models as this prevents drastic jumps in volume when switching between amp types."

Back
Top Bottom