Amp EQ Location

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
I talk to a lot of people who never change the position of the Graphic Equalizer built in to the amp block. Try it—you might really like it!! Visit the ADVANCED page of the Amp Block and change EQ LOCATION to "PRE P.A." This moves the EQ from its default location after the power amp to in between the preamp and power amp. Once you do this, start with 3 bands and work your way up while you experiment. If nothing else, you'll learn something directly about power amp behavior as you vary the input signal.

this allows you to push certain EQ into the Power Amp, which can vary the resulting Power Amp distortion... very interesting results can be realized with the right amount of Master volume of course (to get PA Distortion).

definitely different than having the EQ after the Power Amp, which is more "corrective" in my opinion, vs "tone generating" if it's in front.

this allows you to push certain EQ into the Power Amp, which can vary the resulting Power Amp distortion... very interesting results can be realized with the right amount of Master volume of course (to get PA Distortion).

definitely different than having the EQ after the Power Amp, which is more "corrective" in my opinion, vs "tone generating" if it's in front.
Greatly appreciate the extra info Chris! As always, you make things make more sense without having to have the Axe Fx on right now to understand :)

You know, just when you think you have finally arrived/settled with your patches and sound, someone goes and says something interesting like this to make me start itching to fiddle yet again!! :)

Thanks M@ and Chris!! :)

I used to do this with my 200W JCM based Marshall using a Boss EQ pedal in the effects loop. It seemed to me any EQing done there sounded more natural than post speaker.

What would be really cool is a dual EQ setup that had an "inverse" mode. So, for example, if you selected a 5 band EQ in the pre p.a. position a 5 band EQ would then exist post p.a. And any changes made to the one pre p.a. would automatically apply - inversely - to the one post p.a. That way you could clearly hear the effect the pre EQ is having on the p.a. Further - in my dream world - I would make the post p.a. controls adjustable manually still. In other words, they would only automatically be controlled when the pre p.a. EQ controls are being moved.

A further option to this style of EQ would be to have the first EQ selectable between pre preamp and pre power amp. Or, the ultimate, have a version where you have all three EQs, with different modes for how changes to the first one affect the other two.

Yea I was really happy when the option became available to move this EQ pre/post PA. I used to use an EQ in the FX loop in real amps as I liked the 'effect' of shaping before the PA...very powerful for sure...definitely worth experimenting with....

I remember it was the first thing that I did to my Mark patches. Great addition to the axe. Thanks for reminding us about the feature again.

cliff put this feature in as a response to all the requests about moving the mesa mk series eq, which is before the power amp. if you're using any of the mesas, always put the eq pre power amp for authenticity :)
^ This!

I was one of the "requesters" and finally we had it. I can't thank enough for this. I love it and is the first thing I change when I make a Mesa Amp preset.

Used to have a Rocktron Pro-Gap preamp that had both Pre and Post EQ, very versatile unit for it's time.

Using this technique to cut lows before the power amp and then restore the lows after the power amp (with an EQ or Filter block), is a really cool way to add definition to the lower register on amps like Vox or Fender.

Sometimes when I get the midrange and highs with just the right amount of break up, the lows are just a tad too muddy / dirty. This technique lets you dial that in really sweetly.

I talk to a lot of people who never change the position of the Graphic Equalizer built in to the amp block. Try it—you might really like it!! Visit the ADVANCED page of the Amp Block and change EQ LOCATION to "PRE P.A." This moves the EQ from its default location after the power amp to in between the preamp and power amp. Once you do this, start with 3 bands and work your way up while you experiment. If nothing else, you'll learn something directly about power amp behavior as you vary the input signal.
M@ is right. I learned to use it along with the pre eq. It makes a lot of difference when dialing your tone. Cheers

Using this technique to cut lows before the power amp and then restore the lows after the power amp (with an EQ or Filter block), is a really cool way to add definition to the lower register on amps like Vox or Fender.

Sometimes when I get the midrange and highs with just the right amount of break up, the lows are just a tad too muddy / dirty. This technique lets you dial that in really sweetly.

I will try this! Where in the signal chain does the depth control reside?

Back
Top Bottom