Amp Envy?

rmbaylin

Inspired
Just when I feel like I've gotten comfy with my rig, along comes a player with an amp and pedal board, and the cycle starts over.

Let me be clear, in that I've been an AXE guy for many years now and know my way around the unit and most of the do/don't to dialing in my tone. The chain is a AXE-II ---> Matrix GT1000---> Port City 1x12+ Port City 2x12 and a direct out to PA running QSC HPR122i (2). Cab sims off on the Port City, cab block direct to the PA (when I use a direct feed). I love the AxeFX-II, the versatility, the possibilities, etc. Not planning on changing anytime soon.

Overall I feel pretty happy with my tone, and then I play with another player using a tube amp and I start to hear all that is missing in the tone compared to the amp. I'm not a tube amp snob, never really owned a tube amp long enough to make it 'my rig'. But there is a certain something that is just missing.

For example - my fellow player had a crappy Fender Squire into a Kustom Defender 30W 1x12 with 6L6 tubes in it - it sounded so warm and chimey. I dialed in my Deluxe Verb amp setting in the the 1x12 and could get close, but that warm and chimey was not there. There was that 'blanket' everyone talks about. Not as much of a blanket, but there was something in the sound of my rig I just couldn't get to articulate. Both of our cabs are closed back.

Example II - Hot country. The other player used a Mesa/Boogie Stiletto 100W into a 4x12 cab. It has so much punch and jump off the strings as he played. I used my single Port 1x12 (not the same thing I know!) and I had it driven hard to keep up. The other guys complimented on my tone of the Dr Z patch, but when we jumped over to a Marshall sounding patch (Plexi maybe?) and hit the Drive1 it just sounded distorted with no warmth or clarity. His driven crunch sound was just so 'there'

So... maybe its just 'Amp Envy' and I need to spend more time working on patches. Perhaps its the cabinet, or hell even my guitar, but I find that I often hear other rigs and I think they sound better, despite costing 1/5th of my rig. This is probably why I need to go to an Axe-Fest---to hear other rigs. To date after almost 5 years in Fractal-Land I have yet to hear another AXE-FX unit!

</end_rant>

The flip side is you dial in a tone they like and nothing they do can make their amp sound like yours. I think it's real easy to like so much of the equipment that's out there because it does sound good. Let's face it, nobody would be making any money on that equipment if it didn't sound good.

Everything you throw into a musical sound string affects the sound. Given a little longer, I'd imagine you could probably get a little closer to the sound you were hearing. The real positive, which you are clearly aware of, is that while you might not be able to dial in his one sound, he can't dial in your 300 sounds at all :)

Hey Man,
Im about 50miles north of you and I have an ultra unit. I've only played against a handful of real tube amps and I've always been happy with my axe. Either I thought my sound was as good or better. The one time that I thought my sound was inferior it was the other guitarists fingers.... He played my rig and all of a sudden my rig sounded that much better.

dwg115 - You're actually closer than that. I live just below Hanover in Maryland. We should get together and do some Axe comparisons!

dwmichaels - this is true the tone and effects pallete in the AXE-II is much wider.

I guess I have overlooked that "fingers" aspect too. But I don't think in these cases its any fingers - the players are good but not a substantial player level difference between us.. but maybe I can upgrade my fingers?

I still own several good tube amps, although I never use them anymore. I can remember random jams where I thought man that other guys amp has got something my tube amp doesn't have. Not really sure why that happens, but I don't think its an AxeFx vs tubes thing so much as something else. What that is, I'm not sure.

I played last night with a guy running the huge pedal board through a Classic 50. His amp was encased in baffles and all I heard was the mic'd tone in the house monitor. For me, it was Axe in to two DLM 8s. He didn't stand a chance. The Hot Kitty and Boutique patches I used just nailed it.

I guess there is the aspect of what we hear directly in the sweet spot isnt the same as the FOH, which is where the AXE does a great job.

Also there is the aspect of something 'new' or 'different' can seem better. Its like the first time you band plays a new song it sound soooo good, and then you hammer the hell out of it to make it better , and it just doesn't sound like the first time.

I also notice that I need pump up the volume going through the Port City guitar cabs before it starts to sound and feel good. I attribute that to the F-M effect, as well as the physical nature of playing a cabinet vs an FRFR.

I have never had that experience once they mic up that nice sounding amp and I go direct to FOH the sound we hear out front and on recorded play back has me sounding better every time. The sound guys are not even trying to get FOH to sound fur them the way the amp rig sounds in the room. They just throw the mic on and call it a day. Even they hear playback and say WTH happened to my tone lol.

I know some lads here have gone 100% AXE. I do envy the portability and the flexibility of that idea. That said, I am so so so happy with my live rig. Pedals are so fun and important to me, amps are important to me. Nothing is the same as amps and pedals for me still. I am so totally grateful for both elements of my tone. The AXE for direct when I want and the amps for live. I still record using amps all of the time because I love the 'live in the room' tones.

I have amp appreciation and AXE appreciation which is why I have both.
Neither does what the other does and both are so great at what they do...give me great tones!

Trust me, there is always some player out there with great great tones. It never comes in a box or an amp. Ever. It comes from mindfulness and clarity. The whole chain is relevant.
Just my opinion, If you can't get good tones form the AXE, it is unlikely you will get them from an amp.

My experience has been the complete opposite. Just went through an extensive audition phase for my current project and every single guy thought their tube amp tone was the best, dialed in perfectly. Seen a few interesting set-ups and yeah the tube amp + traditional pedals had some good tones, but as soon as I started playing, there was no question, didn't even need to say it. Maybe it's just me, but the tones I have dialed in just make peoples jaw drop in disbelief because there is no tube amp. This is "in the room" with a single Yorkville NX55P monitor. Out the FOH at our gigs it's the same. The tube amp needs tweaks on the board and has to be turned up loud to sound good, the Axe is straight in, and no tweaking required. Yes we have our own PA.

Now I also own a compliment of Marshall amps and cabs and ran tube for 25 years up till a little over 4 months ago when I bought the Axe, and I do know how to dial it in, but I've never been able to dial it in like I can on the Axe.

I think it comes down to a couple things.
#1. Knowing the tone you want to begin with
#2. Knowing your gear (guitar, pickups, etc..)so you can dial it in
#3. Realizing different isn't necessarily better

Last edited:
Today I cranked up the Axe Fx and jammed some blues and man it sounds so great! I was using the Princeton amp and I am using the beta release. The dynamics are absolutely awesome especially with that amp block. It really cleans up nice with the volume pot on my guitar. I highly suggest checking that amp block out, you have to crank the drive and master and also cut the bass. What a truly great piece of gear! I honestly believe I could use this for the remainder of my life and always be happy with it. Thanks to Fractal Audio!

Back
Top Bottom