Amp + Drive combo to use with SSS Strat

djidoe

Inspired
I'm searching for patches to use with my strat (SSS) : An amp + drive pedal combo for rhythm and lead. I want to approximate a Pink Floyd sound (think Comfortably Numb). Everything I tried lack of dynamic. The guitar tone is so compressed it's unusable.

With humbuckers (Les Paul + Ibanez w/bare knuckles) no problem at all... I'm dialing a lot of great tones.

With my strat, I can achieve very great clean tones but the drive tones are horrible.

Maybe my pickups are problematics. I think they are low output... Can it be the problem ?

If you have great patches, could you share them ?

Thanx

I use a slightly different approach with the Axe-fx II for this sort of thing, I used to use the Drive and Amp way.... but have changed to using an Amp X/Y model.

So I set my clean or Rhythm sound in the Amp "X" slot then set my Lead or dirtier tone in the "Y" slot

This way I can EQ and shape the "Y" slot to be exactly how I want ... sometimes its as little as the same amp as X...but with the boost switch engaged, sometimes it's an entirely different amp model.

I have an Amp "X/Y" IA switch on the MFC and just use that.

i now find i rarely use the drive blocks that much.... was surprised how it changed the way I approached the traditional drive pedal approach.

Regarding dynamic amps on the Axe-FX II for Single Coils.... the Super Verb preset 46 is really nice, the Komet Concorde sounds pretty nice and dynamic too....also the Shiva Clean and Shiva Lead work well together.

Thats kind of life with a strat tho. You can try a clean amp with a Tube Driver, MXR, etc. I also had real success with the Ruby Rockey with no drive and the drive cranked. You'll also want to work the amp's low cut a lot when driving an amp with a strat, and possibly play with the input gain.

Try the HIWATT models with a drive block and low gain. There is a guy in the Ultra/Standard section that plays for a PInk Floyd tribute act. Do a search for him and ask him about his patches.

You might want to use the Input Trim control in the amp with low output pickups. You can get a hotter level into the amp that way without clipping the input which might help you get both a little more drive and some more dynamic control.

You might want to use the Input Trim control in the amp with low output pickups. You can get a hotter level into the amp that way without clipping the input which might help you get both a little more drive and some more dynamic control.

Do what MikeyB59 says. I have very low output SSS pickups and the input trim gives a nice slight edgy tone without sounding too driven.

I get nice drive using a vox ac30 model just a point of break up and then put a fet boost in front - gives nice overdrive but maintains the guitar tone - try one of the patches I uploaded to axechange and lift the drive up on the fet boost

Back
Top Bottom