Amp distortion tweaks

Alarto

Inspired
Hi there,

I would be really appreciated to know your findings about which parameters affects on distortion character and how? The most problematic thing I usually run into is some kind of... hmmm... way too obvious sequential distortion wave shape which is especially bad while playing chords / rhythm. It becomes predominantly audible with louder volumes & FRFR setting.

Thanks!

Hi!

You'll get better/more responses if you clarify what you are looking for (what kind of sound -- clean/classic/metal), what you are doing now (which amp, preset patch, what kind of guitar you're using, how you are monitoring the AF2, etc.) and possibly an example recording. Or pick a preset patch that demonstrates the type of distortion that you find objectionable. And remember, if you don't like the sound of one amp, try another -- there are over 100 to choose from!

Also, check that you aren't overloading the inputs or outputs, which can add unpleasant artifacts (true of any digital device if not gain staged properly.)

Hope this helps,
TT

I apologize for expressing my frustration inappropriately! I installed firmware 11b a week ago. I go direct to FOH / QSC K12 monitors. I'm looking for a good crunch drive/distorted sound for blues, rock and a bit heavier style of music. The problem exists with all amps, downloaded presets and presets I have tried to tweak myself (and I have tried many of them and used a lot of time). It is hard to describe the problem but let me try... Think about any crunchier sound "RRRrrrRRRrrr" and play it loud :) There's the problem, you can hear clear "digital" cycles repeating again and again in exact tempo. That drive/distortion repeating waveform is annoying when you play chords / rhythm. I think someone here probably described the same thing, and was talking about how slow/fast drive (i.e. waveform) is repeating. As I don't understand all advanced parameters and I have found myself going really bad direction so many times, I would hope that someone could describe or give sound examples what all parameters do and how they interact each other. Thanks!

You can change a lot in characteristics when using the low cut filter in the advanced parameters. Also try different tonestack types and change their positions - there is a lot of difference between a pre- to a post gain tonestack.

Enjoy!

Cheers
Paco

IThink about any crunchier sound "RRRrrrRRRrrr" and play it loud :) There's the problem, you can hear clear "digital" cycles repeating again and again in exact tempo.

Sure your guitar is properly set up? Or do you perhaps have the amp's tremolo on and don't realize it?

It is hard to describe the problem but let me try... Think about any crunchier sound "RRRrrrRRRrrr" and play it loud :) There's the problem, you can hear clear "digital" cycles repeating again and again in exact tempo. That drive/distortion repeating waveform is annoying when you play chords / rhythm. I think someone here probably described the same thing, and was talking about how slow/fast drive (i.e. waveform) is repeating.
Thanks for the clarification. I think I know what you're describing, but I'm not sure what you mean by "digital" cycles. What makes them digital?

Steady pulsation when playing chords is often a sign of tuning or intonation problems. It's more noticeable at higher gain.

Use a parametric or graphic eq before anything else and play around with 400Hz, 500Hz- 800hz and 1kHz. Try boosting these frequencies at around 1 to 2 db or more until it sounds good to your ears. With the parametric eq try narrowing the q and see how it sounds.
You can try boosting only one frequency or 3.
Sometimes is good to boost 4 to 8 kHz to add
bite when lowering your guitar volume.
After the eq use a drive block if you need note gain.

Thanks for good suggestions! It seems that PEQ, low cut filter, presence and compression together do the trick towards a correct direction. Tonestack type changes are really radical ... going to explore those more.

I played through Logic X eq-analyzer and everything visible is between 100 and 5,000 Hz. I may have pinpointed the problem now. Waves between 100 and 500 Hz are long i.e. reach their peaks in long distance of each other and then everything seems to be smooth. That observation in mind and QSC K12s low end character ... no wonder. Still looking after a silky V12 Ferrari drive tone instead of 4 cylinder diesel :) I'll try a MBC block taming for those frequencies but I'll expect to get a sterile sound when playing loud. Maybe I try to add a second CAB, cut its frequencies and mix it to the soup...

But... If anybody knows which parameters to tweak to smoothen only the low-end (100 - 500 Hz) from the AMP block, that would be the best solution!

Back
Top Bottom