Amp design tutorial

The quest for the Holy IR... I wouldn't exactly call it an overlooked component. There are more commercial IRs out there than presets.

Agreed, I meant that sometimes users tend to focus on dialling in their amp block but should really be sure that they have the cab block sorted out first.

I'm not saying this is the case with the OP, but am putting it out there as something worth trying out before spending long hours trying to understand finer details of the amps and how they work to get a better tone.

Can you recommend any good resources on this?
Not really, I'm still crap at it myself. Most what I've learned is just from trolling around the net. The big aha moment was learning about how a tube screamer pedal is not used to add gain, but rather to tighten up the low on Marshall type amps and add compression. Once I learned about that I realized there's more to this than just plugging in and tweaking knobs.

Not really, I'm still crap at it myself. Most what I've learned is just from trolling around the net. The big aha moment was learning about how a tube screamer pedal is not used to add gain, but rather to tighten up the low on Marshall type amps and add compression. Once I learned about that I realized there's more to this than just plugging in and tweaking knobs.

The big aha moment for me was realizing a really great piece of music played by a phenomenal guitarist is 99% of a great track. The other 1% is the equipment, settings, tracking and mixing.

When you start with something great, the gear and production techniques are just polish on something already great on its own.

Back
Top Bottom