Amp cuts out when changing channels

Can you make sure the cab is the same channel for both blocks?

The amp switching gap on the FM3 seems pretty good to me, at least on the latest firmware. It doesn't seem too far off from the Axe 3 which was a significant improvement over the old AX8.

That sounds like it's a longer gap than even the AX8. I'd check to see if something else isn't interfering. Maybe try removing your CC assignment and see if it's better?

I checked this out last night for a few minutes before I went to bed. That is an unusually long switching time? Didn't have time to explore yet. But that is not typical.

Not sure if helpful, but when I am debugging issues I like to start simple. So I tore your preset down to just the amp, cab, and some verb.

Switching is pretty quick here. Maybe work from something like this and add back blocks and routing until the prob gets very noticeable?

Attachments

• AMP CHANNEL GAP2.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
the FM3 is on Version 1.xx, as alluded to. though we don't know if the Axe3 faster changes can be added to the FM3 in the same capacity, it's been stated that it hasn't made its way over yet.

most other gear that i've used - and i've used a lot, being the ordering manager for a large local music store - i've had to press any switches slightly before the downbeat as well. my peers in local music here do as well with all their gear. i think it's a lot to ask for analog or digital systems to change sounds seamlessly, instantly, smoothly, etc.

yes, in some music styles and situations with a single guitar, it is crucial to change sounds that quickly. the way the pros do it is have 2 amps or more so only audio path is changing, not channels or anything else. one amp for clean, another for dirty, maybe another for lead. even in "signature amps" with several channels, that pro is usually using multiple amps as i just described for the fastest changing, cleanest audio.

in the Axe world, that would be the equivalent of 2 Axe units, or a preset with 2 Amp blocks or other blocks that need seamless switching, and Scene changes so audio is just muting and unmuting, no channels or other settings actually changing. it's a reality of audio processing. of course the FM3 doesn't have 2 amp blocks, and i'm not at all suggesting using 2 FM3 units. but seamless instant audio is very difficult for a lot of gear to handle.

i guess i tend to change Scenes/Presets around an 1/8 note early (depending on tempo). then it's ready to go for the downbeat. if i need seamless gain change from clean to dirty, i'll usually use the same amp channel, use Scene Controllers to change the Input Drive and other parameters, and/or unmute a Drive block if i need high gain - like the Ruckus or something.

chances are, the audio gap will be reduced, as it has on all previous FAS gear.
I understand that it can't be perfect with no gaps at all. My AXEIII gaps are so small that it is really a non issue. I was expecting a similar gap when changing amp channels. I was prepared for a longer gap when changing presets, but not scenes/amp channels.

I am OK with having to hit a preset or scene change early to get the sound to change at the right time, but I am not willing to lose the first note of the solo...

Scene controllers seem to work when changing to a lead sound, I am pursuing that now, but it will not work when changing to clean sounds that require a different amp.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Can you make sure the cab is the same channel for both blocks?

The amp switching gap on the FM3 seems pretty good to me, at least on the latest firmware. It doesn't seem too far off from the Axe 3 which was a significant improvement over the old AX8.
The amp is the same on both channels.

Not sure if helpful, but when I am debugging issues I like to start simple. So I tore your preset down to just the amp, cab, and some verb.

Switching is pretty quick here. Maybe work from something like this and add back blocks and routing until the prob gets very noticeable?
That is helpful. I did that already, and I found that if I got the preset down to an amp, cab, and one fx block, the gap got down to an acceptable level, but a preset with that few blocks would be useless to me.

Really? I upgraded from Ultra to FXII just to have scenes... And I'm still having a switching gap in the III.

IMHO, seamless AMP changes is the kind of functionality we cannot expect in the FM3. I am for myself debating over staying with AxeFXII or going for FM3 as a backup exactly for this.
I hope that is not the case! I think that if it gets faster and become a slight "glitch" rather that a "gap" it will be ok.

I have the same issue with scene changes on my FM3, and it's frustrating. Coming from a Helix with instant snapshot changes, including amp switching, this is very disappointing. I did find that the biggest cause of switching latency was when a scene changes the amp channel AND a reverb or delay channel at the same time. As long as a delay or reverb block wasn't changing channels at the same time, it was acceptable. I really hope they fix it because not being able to change tones instantly while playing live is a deal breaker for me. Sounds amazing as a studio tool, though.

I have the same issue with scene changes on my FM3, and it's frustrating. Coming from a Helix with instant snapshot changes, including amp switching, this is very disappointing. I did find that the biggest cause of switching latency was when a scene changes the amp channel AND a reverb or delay channel at the same time. As long as a delay or reverb block wasn't changing channels at the same time, it was acceptable. I really hope they fix it because not being able to change tones instantly while playing live is a deal breaker for me. Sounds amazing as a studio tool, though.
In the recorded example above, I am not even changing scenes, I am just changing amp channels.
most other gear that i've used - and i've used a lot, being the ordering manager for a large local music store - i've had to press any switches slightly before the downbeat as well. my peers in local music here do as well with all their gear. i think it's a lot to ask for analog or digital systems to change sounds seamlessly, instantly, smoothly, etc.
I have to disagree with you. I do not think it is too much to ask for a digital device to change sounds cleanly.
I am ok with hitting a button early to account for latency, but I don't think the sound cutting out completely for that long is ok.

In the recorded example above, I am not even changing scenes, I am just changing amp channels.

Yeah, that's really disappointing. I tried it myself and also noticed the lag. For something considered a premium amp modeler, I would expect simple amp changes to be instantaneous. Helix snapshots are lag-free. From what I've read, so are Kemper Stage rig changes in performance mode, as long as they're part of the loaded bank of 5 presets. Frankly, if this doesn't get fixed in new firmware by the time I start playing live again (thanks Covid), I'll probably sell my FM3 and get something else. I'm sure I'll get heat here for having a critical opinion of the FM3, but it's a deal breaker for me.

That seems like a big gap. I have multiple channels and completely different amps (Brit brown and CA3+ clean) and scene changes are much faster than the AX8.

I'm having gaps similar to this as well. When a scene changes channels on the amp block and reverb block the gap is significant, to the point were it's similar to changing presets on my HX Stomp. I don't play live so it's not really a big deal to me but it does seem odd and completely defeats what was attractive to me about the channels feature.

Changing from clean amp to dirty using scenes.

Seems quick to me...... Strange that you would have that much of a gap between the same amp. As mentioned above the amps being used are a Brit brown and CA3+ clean. Ironically, I got so used to the gap using the AX8 that the speed of the FM3 is kinda screwing with me now. I know.... First World Problems.....

CPU 72%
6 Scenes 1. Mid Gain 2. Mid Gain Boost 3. Solo Mid Gain 4. Clean 5. Flanger Boost 6. Phaser Boost

Attachments

• MidGain_Clean.PNG
    MidGain_Clean.PNG
    90.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Changing from clean amp to dirty using scenes.

Seems quick to me...... Strange that you would have that much of a gap between the same amp. As mentioned above the amps being used are a Brit brown and CA3+ clean. Ironically, I got so used to the gap using the AX8 that the speed of the FM3 is kinda screwing with me now. I know.... First World Problems.....

thats pretty quick actually definitely quicker than the AX8

Yes, if Fractal could add more speed..... Sure, faster is always better but that is more than enough for me and certainly does not create any issues for me playing live.

Yes, if Fractal could add more speed..... Sure, faster is always better but that is more than enough for me and certainly does not create any issues for me playing live.
As I said in my original post, the lag happens for me when I switch amp channels and delay or reverb channels at the same time. Some scene changes for me are quick like in your video, others aren't. 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom