Amp Channel switching sound dropout still?

ezvictor

Inspired
I am considering selling my MFC 101 and Axe FX2. They have served me well. I'm looking to lighten my load a bit by grabbing an FM3 and FC6. I have become accustomed to running two amp blocks per preset (1 Clean And 1 Dirty). I understand this is not possible on the Fm3 but channels works around this limitation. I am concerned though about audio dropout. Ive heard things over the last year that lead me to believe that this is a problem. I have also heard that it has been fixed. Could anyone share (perhaps share again) insight and experience or perhaps examples.?

Good question. That was my biggest problem with the FM3 when I first bought it back in April of 2020. I sold it not long after because it bothered me so much. Then a few months ago I read about all the firmware improvements and bought another FM3. Here's what I've noticed

1. Overall gap is much shorter now with firmware improvements.
2. Part of what creates that gap isn't the loading time between channels or scenes (what I use to switch amp channels), but is actually the hold function on the footswitch. When there's a hold function on a switch, then it gets activated when you release the switch. With traditional amps and modelers, it happens on switch press, so if that's what you're used to it can really mess with you at first. So, you can either adjust your own timing to switch release, or you can remove the hold function from switches you use to change channels / scenes. Removing the hold function on the switch makes the switch activate on press, which makes the channel change instant.

Good question. That was my biggest problem with the FM3 when I first bought it back in April of 2020. I sold it not long after because it bothered me so much. Then a few months ago I read about all the firmware improvements and bought another FM3. Here's what I've noticed

1. Overall gap is much shorter now with firmware improvements.
2. Part of what creates that gap isn't the loading time between channels or scenes (what I use to switch amp channels), but is actually the hold function on the footswitch. When there's a hold function on a switch, then it gets activated when you release the switch. With traditional amps and modelers, it happens on switch press, so if that's what you're used to it can really mess with you at first. So, you can either adjust your own timing to switch release, or you can remove the hold function from switches you use to change channels / scenes. Removing the hold function on the switch makes the switch activate on press, which makes the channel change instant.
Sweet thanks
Very much appreciate the reply. So if I were to dedicate a switch on the fm3 or fc6 to amp channel switching and removed the hold function on the switch, I would have no gap? For a midi noob.., is this (removing the hold function) possible to do on either fm3 or fc6?

Sweet thanks
Very much appreciate the reply. So if I were to dedicate a switch on the fm3 or fc6 to amp channel switching and removed the hold function on the switch, I would have no gap? For a midi noob.., is this (removing the hold function) possible to do on either fm3 or fc6?
There is a brief dropout when changing presets or channels on some blocks, notably amps. Switching on press or release or hold doesn't change that. However, if you switch on release, there will be a delay between the time you press the button and when the switch occurs, because there is a time interval between the press and the release. Whenever the switch occurs, there will still be a brief dropout.

There is a brief dropout when changing presets or channels on some blocks, notably amps. Switching on press or release or hold doesn't change that. However, if you switch on release, there will be a delay between the time you press the button and when the switch occurs, because there is a time interval between the press and the release. Whenever the switch occurs, there will still be a brief dropout.
If there is a gap after removing the hold function, it's faster than I can perceive. 😁

If there is a gap after removing the hold function, it's faster than I can perceive. 😁
That’s great to hear. Have you gigged with it or rehearsed with the band and tried channel switching on the amp?

Here is a follow up question!
Is there an audio dropout when channel switching something that should otherwise not cause an audio dropout? Say for instance channels on a Phaser or a delay that is bypassed?

The channel switch dropout is most noticeable on the amp block. Even with the AxeFX III the dropout is around 30 ms. This is inevitable unless you're willing to give up half of your cpu. However, a fade in/out is applied to make it less obtrusive.

Back
Top Bottom