Amp Card For Custom “FRFR” Cabinet

ruso

Fractal Fanatic
Hey dudes. I’m currently designing and will be building a cabinet for the Celestion F12-X200. I’m looking for an amp card and am having trouble finding one suitable for the impedance and power requirements of the F12-X200.

The most suitable that I’ve found is a B-52 ACT-15X-120V. It’s rated at 600W at 8Ω, which is most likely severely overrated in terms of power. Does anyone have experience with the ACT or have any other recommendations?

Thanks!

By amp card, do you mean plate amplifier? Dayton audio's amps are used in XiTone cabs.

Plate, yes. Sorry, I’m so used to calling them cards after 15 or so years in home theater sales. The Dayton is a two-way plate amp. I’m wondering how I’d go about using it with the F12-X200 which I believe has only a single input.

Are the Matrix GM50’s still being made? Is Matrix even still in business? Their website appears to be down.

They're still in business but they no longer sell those modules. They make their own modules for their own speakers but won't sell them separately. I'm assuming you'd just use one input. Pretty sure that's what Xitone does. @MicFarlow will probably have some insight on this.

They're still in business but they no longer sell those modules. They make their own modules for their own speakers but won't sell them separately. I'm assuming you'd just use one input. Pretty sure that's what Xitone does. @MicFarlow will probably have some insight on this.

I wonder if he bi-amps it. I’m sure you could disconnect the tweeter from the driver.

I did indeed bi-amp the F12-X200 by disabling the factory crossover.

I also have used the Dayton amp in a single way configuration and just didn't use the tweeter side at all.

So you can go either way.

I also have used the Dayton amp in a single way configuration and just didn't use the tweeter side at all.

So you can go either way.
Bi-amp is the way to go. You can easily adjust the balance of the tweeter with a simple volume pot, and the crossovers are a bit easier to implement on the line-level signal than at speaker level.

Thanks Mic! So by bi-amping, say the Celestion F12-X200, did you basically just match the original passive crossover points? Similar slope I’m assuming?

Also, are you offering fully-finished active cabinets with the F12-X200?

Nah, everything I did was completely custom to what I do.

I do not offer the F12-X200 in any of my cabs. It's a great speaker for what it was designed for... dropping into an existing guitar cabinet. It didn't fare too well for me when I went too far outside of that paradigm. YMMV though.

Back
Top Bottom